Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Brian

This part of Louisiana is unique and very special. You feel a culture alive there, much like when going to Newfoundland and being among Newfoundlanders.

Sergei

Some great tips, thanks again!

I hope we do make it this year. I had this trip planned for last winter but some prescription meds changes screwed up our travel insurance and by the time we got things sorted out - and paid quite a bit more $$! - we had lost a few weeks and decided to cut our trip shorter and headed to Florida instead.

Never mind, that allowed us to make stops at Charleston and Savannah, two of my favourite cities to visit!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Side note, all Louisiana State Parks are open year-round, and they take the America the Beautiful Access Pass and Senior Pass for half-price discount rates.

Palmetto Island State Park, near Abbeville, LA is the closest LA State Park to Avery Island. In addition to the Tabasco factory tour, you can also visit the Jungle Gardens while on the island.

JungleGardens
Visitor Information | Avery Island | TABASCO.COM
Palmetto Island State Park - Louisiana Office of State Parks
Old 11-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post

A place I kept hearing about everywhere I went, including far, far away from Louisiana, was:

Betty's RV Park

People just rave about it. Like the PECAN GROVE in Austin it’s an absolutely unique experience. Betty’s is apparently a small RV lot in a lady’s back yard, where everyone gathers over drinks at the end of the day to trade Cajun Country discoveries.

The place is at Abbeville, a nice town about 30 minutes south of Lafayette, so not much more driving distance than the other towns mentioned. …

This part of Louisiana is unique and very special. You feel a culture alive there, much like when going to Newfoundland and being among Newfoundlanders.

Sergei
We have been to Betty's a couple of times. Totally unique and very fun.

Betty knows everyone, everything and every place in the Abbeville area, and can guide you to whomever, whatever and wherever you need.

She goes out to dinner with her campers regularly, too, getting reservations at hard-to-get-into places, special tours of the kitchens and crawfish pots, etc.

Everyone visiting Louisiana needs to go to Betty's at least once.

Don't miss Homochitto NF in southern MS, too. A beautiful spot.

And, Natchitoches, LA, one of our favorite areas in the USA.

Maggie
Old 11-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
La Crescent , Minnesota
We have found the State Parks in Louisiana to be very nice . As of last year, they no longer accept a Senior Pass from out of State.
Jay
mjayjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
We are big fans of camping near some of the major springs in Florida. There is a bunch if campgrounds that are NOT listed on reserve America site. Many offer weekly and monthly rates. We enjoyed otter springs, Ginny Springs ( just avoid the holiday weekends) and Manatee Springs.

http://visitgilchristcounty.com/dest...ory=Camping-RV

http://www.floridasprings.org/visit/recreation/camping/
Old 11-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
We Love Manatee Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
We are big fans of camping near some of the major springs in Florida. There is a bunch if campgrounds that are NOT listed on reserve America site. Many offer weekly and monthly rates. We enjoyed otter springs, Ginny Springs ( just avoid the holiday weekends) and Manatee Springs.

Gilchrist County Florida

Florida Springs, Springs in Florida, Florida Cave Diving, Manatee Viewing - Florida's Springs: Protecting Nature's Gems - Florida DEP - Camping & Picknicking
We stayed there in Airstream No.1 when we lived back east. Nice place, but the gators will have your dog if you aren't watchful.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post

We stayed there in Airstream No.1 when we lived back east. Nice place, but the gators will have your dog if you aren't watchful.
Yea you pretty much have to assume there is pet eating gators by any fresh body of water, ditch, etc. Also at night coyotes have become a problem. Small dogs and cats are a tasty treats for them. Every fall we get coyotes in my area, and they clean out all of they stray cats.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Moundsville , West Virginia
Paradise Park, Punta Gorda, FL

We stayed at Paradise Park, Punta Gorda, FL last year and are going back this year. The good or the bad it is about 20 miles from any town. It is not a problem for us. The rates are good and there are places for rent and for sale. Phone #941-639-2680.
jimlawther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
I read on another thread not on this site that all fl parks are required to save at least one and in some cases up to 20% of sites for walk ins and not allow them to be reserved. Anyone have
Experience getting these? Any tips?
Yes, you are correct. Look up Fort Desoto Park in Pinellas county FL. You will not be disappointed. There is a section, pet friendly, right on the Gulf as well as other areas for non pet owners.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
We've been actively camping for the past six years and each year it's getting harder and harder to "just go" on a thursday for the weekend because of the snowbirds. They come in November and leave in late April. Anything state park south of Tampa is booked from now until April. Even the county parks, that don't take reservations are filling up.

We have to go north if we want to camp in the winter when the weather is perfect, or we have to plan like snowbirds and reserve our weekend spot 6 months in advance.

Sorry, I'll dismount my soap box now.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
We've been actively camping for the past six years and each year it's getting harder and harder to "just go" on a thursday for the weekend because of the snowbirds. They come in November and leave in late April. Anything state park south of Tampa is booked from now until April. Even the county parks, that don't take reservations are filling up.

We have to go north if we want to camp in the winter when the weather is perfect, or we have to plan like snowbirds and reserve our weekend spot 6 months in advance.

Guess what, we get the reverse in Minnesota each summer. They come in May and leave in October.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:17 AM   #32

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:

All the more reason to stray a bit to the west and check out Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. We don't get as many snowbirds because the eastern snowbirds all seem to go to Florida and Texas. The weather isn't quite as nice as Florida, maybe, but it's still better than the great frozen north. And the only time you need reservations six months in advance is for Mardi Gras (Mardi Gras is March 4th for 2014).
Old 12-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
To address another question the OP poised:
yes, certain parks in FL set aside a percentage of sites for walk ups. It's my experience, however, that you have better (or at least easier) chances of winning the lottery. People line up at midnight of Wednesday to get a weekend site. Some campgrounds don't allow people to line up until Friday @ 0000, but you better believe they're just down the road hanging out.

I really wish they'd save some for Florida residents.

No offense to the other fine states of the gulf coast, but I live in Florida so I can enjoy the weather in the winter and I know how much colder it is in the panhandle and west... I lived in Panama City Beach for 10 years before I moved to Tampa. I was stationed in Mississippi and spent my fair share of time in Sweet Home Alabama as well. This winter we'll be exploring all the state parks north of Tampa, specifically the ones in the panhandle. Looking forward to it!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
All the more reason to stray a bit to the west and check out Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. We don't get as many snowbirds because the eastern snowbirds all seem to go to Florida and Texas. The weather isn't quite as nice as Florida, maybe, but it's still better than the great frozen north. And the only time you need reservations six months in advance is for Mardi Gras (Mardi Gras is March 4th for 2014).
The Mississippi gulf coast does get a lot of snowbirds. Even the more inland parks get snowbirds. There are snowbirds at the North Abutment campground in Grenada- 200 miles inland. There are certainly more campsites available inland. The coast campgrounds do tend to book up. The inland parks are sometimes half empty.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #35

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
There are certainly more campsites available inland. The coast campgrounds do tend to book up. The inland parks are sometimes half empty.
Kind of what I meant. I booked a stay at Lake Lincoln State Park in Mississippi for December 21st-25th, and pretty much had my choice of sites; the place had hardly any reservations at all.

For Natchez State Park in Mississippi for December 28th-January 1st, there were 21 spaces left out of 50 before I made my reservation.

Still trying to figure out someplace reasonably close by to go for Martin Luther King Day weekend, that I haven't been to before.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
The Mississippi gulf coast does get a lot of snowbirds. Even the more inland parks get snowbirds. There are snowbirds at the North Abutment campground in Grenada- 200 miles inland. There are certainly more campsites available inland. The coast campgrounds do tend to book up. The inland parks are sometimes half empty.
Actually now that you mention it, there were a lot of snowbirds at Edisto and Jekyll Island too when we were there. Darn snowbirds are everywhere! ha.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #37

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Darn snowbirds are everywhere! ha.
Kind of like pigeons. Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
...and laughing gulls...
Hold on to that sandwich, boy!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #39
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Can anybody comment on the Padre Islands, Big Bend NP, or Mexico as winter destinations? Concerns about their personal safety have switched some of our snowbird neighbours from Mexico to southern California or cruises.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
North Texas definately not a winter camping destination THIS weekend!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131207_151632.png
Views:	164
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	201396
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote