Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2016, 08:46 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
glen st mary , Florida
Wife wants a new Class A motor home - I am interested in Airstream

I am an accountant (retired) and I am a cheapskate. I am really interested in an airstream for our first camper. My wife, influenced by close friends, is interested in a new MH. We will be traveling with those friends.

I really like the idea of not losing 25 percent of value in the first year and another 15 percent the next year.

Is an airstream more financially wise than a MH?

It would probably require me to get a new or newer truck but I need one and I can finance it. Mine is a 2004 with 130000 miles.

I will be asking more questions on this post as I learn more.

What is your opinion on an airstream versus class A motorhome?

Thanks
Olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
this depends.... Class A moho's are beasts...

IF you buy a brand new, you'll likely be plagued with 6 months of shake down fixes. Some, up to a year..... or you might be the lucky 2% who only needs one visit back to a service center.

IF you buy a used class A, you'll likely be plagued with hidden cover up fixes, leaks, and other junk that generally feels like someone placed a vacuum cleaner in your wallet.

If you buy a gasoline class A, you're going to be plagued with bad handling (fixable for an additional 2 to 5k), and an incredibly noisy, high revving engine at your feet.

If you buy a Diesel class A, you're likely to spend a lot to get it, and be met with several new complicated systems.. like air brakes, air bags, all that junk

If you buy ANY class A, you'll like be facing grandma's house inside.

If you buy an airstream, you'll likely be plagued with people at campgrounds who want to see inside of it, along with "airstream" confessions, where they confess they had wished they bought one, and had the chance years ago but passed it up.

Class a's also take a LOT more research to buy, there's some really crappy builds out there. As a long time member of IRV2.com, I can attest.. plus I downsized from a wallet sucking class A diesel to my airstream, and yes I had to buy another truck... a 22 thousand dollar chevy 2500...

OTOH, class A's have merit. Larger inside. Easier to setup. Higher driving position... it just depends on what you want and like.. the airstream trailers are pretty tight inside.. you both have to really love it or else...

Now.. I know a lot about class A's.... lot's of research, lots of friends.. the first bridge there to cross is "how much can you afford to spend, and then what's 80% of that number!" From there, I can guide you to some of the best buys in class a's for you to look at.

Are you willing to share that number?
Old 05-22-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
If your only decision point is cost vs. value, a travel trailer will win every time, even if that trailer is an Airstream.

But some of us have other decision points to consider, which is why we don't all have travel trailers. Variety is the spice of life.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

You, indeed, are faced with a major dilemma. We prefer an Airstream travel trailer over any other form of RV, but that is us and we are both on board. In your case, one of you has to convince the other to see it their way.

I am sure that your cheapskatedness will have significant influence. Have a great time with your new motor home.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #5
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Will your friends be pulling a car as well? If not class a's limit where you can explore. A trailer you can drop and go. If you are the only one with a small vehicle you may the taxi driver.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:46 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olustee bus View Post
I am an accountant (retired) and I am a cheapskate. I am really interested in an airstream for our first camper. My wife, influenced by close friends, is interested in a new MH. We will be traveling with those friends.

I really like the idea of not losing 25 percent of value in the first year and another 15 percent the next year.

Is an airstream more financially wise than a MH?

It would probably require me to get a new or newer truck but I need one and I can finance it. Mine is a 2004 with 130000 miles.

I will be asking more questions on this post as I learn more.

What is your opinion on an airstream versus class A motorhome?

Thanks
Why not please both of you? Your wife can have a Class A and you can have an Airstream. There is a wide range of used Airstream motorhomes available, from aluminum Classics to diesel pushers with slides.

See
http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...omes-for-sale/
and
http://www.viewrvs.com/airstream-for-sale.php

Good used Airstream mohos are getting scarcer by the year, so if you browse Fred's Airstream Archives
http://www.viewrvs.com/motorhome/air...-motorhome.php
for a year/model that you like, you'll have a specific goal and be ready to jump when a good 'un comes along.

Happy hunting!
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Spokane , Washington
MH vs Airstream

We could not be happier with our 27FB. I think a travel trailer gives you more options. There are no reasonable economic reasons for buying an RV so go with what will bring you the most happiness.
groverpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
It depends on what you want to do, where you want to go and how you want to live when you travel. We, too are retired Floridians and spend about 100 nights a year traveling. We usually travel long and far. We never (except once) stay at commercial RV parks. We are state and federal park visitors. Writing to you now from a federal park in Utah where we are dry camping.

For our travel style, the 25' Airstream is perfect. Why? It's just the two of us with two small dogs. We fit in here and can live for months (this trip is 8 weeks). We have only had one park we wanted to visit where our size prevented it. Class A motor homes can't fit in lots of the places we go. Our tow vehicle is my daily driver, so it gets exercise and maintenance and is ready when we want to travel. When we get to a place we want to explore, we unhitch the trailer, lock the dogs in it (with heat, ventilation, water, etc) and drive off in the truck to explore. The 25' uses 30 Amp electric and many campgrounds we go to don't have more than that, if we had a bigger rig we'd not be fully capable in those places (eg: only run half the AC) or we'd have to find places where the support services fit our greater needs.

If we ever decided to full time, we'd probably go to a Class A diesel pusher and pull a car or mid sized pickup. That would buy us room, conveniences (the Mrs. would very much like a washer and dryer) and the ability to bring a grandkid or two along more often (the 25' trailer gets plenty cramped with more than two in our opinion). We'd give up going to some of the places we really like or we'd have to hold our noses and park in gravel parking lots with the words "RV Oasis" or something over them versus spots like we have rserved in Long Key State Park in Islamorada for this winter where we back up to the Atlantic and open the hatch on the trailer (and where most of the spots are 25' limit).

So, what you get should really be determined by how you want to live and travel. The two choices you are considering do some of the same things, but in my opinion they are not the interchangeable without getting a different travel result. Both are great choices... But not necessarily for the same people.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #9
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
With either one, you'll be towing something (vehicle or trailer) but with a MoHo, you'll be dealing with maintenance on two drive trains and engines...

With that being said, we started out with tents, pop-ups, a 23' then 30' Airstream then 2 motor homes (a Foretravel and a Country Coach). We're back to an Airstream and find it far superior in the long run.

There's far less maintenance, breakdowns, expense and headaches with an Airstream. A well appointed motor home can be mighty impressive but not when it's in the shop - a motorhomes systems are pretty complex....

Just my opinion but it is based upon some good experience.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:41 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
As a previous owner of a class "A", I totally agree with "Plasma800", in the 2+ years we owned the MH, there was always something needing attention, and after the first year under warranty, it's like a vacuum cleaner in your wallet.
We have also owned (2) Airstreams; a '93, 25' Classic, and presently, a '02, 30' Classic. We have been well pleased with both Airstreams. They cost more up front, however, the cost associated with the class "A", never ended - a lesson I learned the hard way. We both are now are in our 70's, and the time has arrived for us to consider selling the '02 Classic. It has been fun camping for the past 46 years, however, we're entering another chapter.
Good luck to you on your decision - enjoy which ever unit you decide on.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Good luck with that one, Wife holds the keys to Happiest and the Magic Garden.

We did 9,000 miles last year and with a AS you can go anywhere with out and problems, you should sit down and plan were you want to travel too and see the difference of traveling with a Class A (cost) and a AS.

You will fine that everything is open to a AS and not a Class A, like State Parks, National Parks and much more.

But, like I said, Good luck with that one, remember who holds the keys.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Another consideration is, if you finance it you can deduct the interest. Unless you already have a second home that you are deducting.
There might be a limit on interest deduction if you go whole hog on the class A, but you're an accountant so you know more about that than I would.
Just trying to talk you into making your wife a happy camper.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #13
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
All great replies.......

Or you can do what I did and buy an Airstream 310 turbo diesel motorhome. Buy it, put some money and sweat equity into her and watch her appreciate in value. If you do the work on her yourself you end up knowing more about your moho than anyone else and it gives a special reward knowing everything about her.

Nothing better than crusing the highways and byways, way above everyone else, at a leisurely pace while your wife gets you something to eat and goes to the bathroom....and you didn't have to stop.

It is one of the only Class A moho's that are increasing in value.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
MH V Trailer

Opinions are like ....well you know everyone has 1. I have had tents, trailers 5thwheel & now a 30' AS MH. length lets you get everywhere, comfortable on the road & not a lot invested. I have a 2000 F150 I hope to never replace (see $ on new P/U's? I'd spend the $ on a new truck instead of a new trailer, if I was pulling.), a jeep tj toad to play when we set up. Do ALOT of looking & don't buy anything (especially as a 1st timer) because someone said so. There are + &- galore & they are not an investment they are for fun. Enjoy & good luck!
Old 05-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Welcome to the forum!

We started 50 years ago with tents, then VW pop-top camper and finally a Winnebego MoHo that we sold 40 years ago when we were transferred overseas. After retiring in the Fall of 2010, a year ago we suddenly got the bug to camp again and we both decided the only way to do it was in an Airstream. We travel on coastal and mountain roads that I would not drive a Class A, although some people do, and as others have said, we do not like the gravel parking lot RV parks preferring State and National parks that actually have trees, hiking trails and space between campsites.

Why not rent one of each for some close to home camping to see what you feel comfortable driving/towing and camping in. Good luck in your decision process.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
If you're frugal...

Don't BUY either until you rent each type. A Motorhome's a MAJOR cost to purchase, maintain, and store. Check out the costs closely! Absolutely a great thing that you are professional accountant!! Buy used in either case; many a new RV purchase quickly is on the secondary market due to imprudent decisions. My spouse TOO wanted a MH until they saw the things that they'd have to trade away. We use our PanAmerica and wait for a 2014 Tiffin Allegro MH to match our $$.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Another consideration is, if you finance it you can deduct the interest. Unless you already have a second home that you are deducting.
There might be a limit on interest deduction if you go whole hog on the class A, but you're an accountant so you know more about that than I would.
Just trying to talk you into making your wife a happy camper.
A travel trailer's loan interest can also be deducted.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Class A or airstream?

They are not mutually exclusive! We have an older (1997) class A Airstream, and yes we spent some money on repairs/renos, but much less than buying new.
This unit has no slides - we downsized from a 37-1/2' fifth heel with 3 slides - and we find it perfect for us right now.
We have had a large diesel pusher, 2 good sized fifth wheels, and now this one. It is not a classic all aluminum head turner, but it gets attention, and we are big on keeping her clean and waxed.
Don't be swayed by what others have. When we had our large 5th wheel, we travelled with friends who had a luxury coach complete with heated floors and dishwasher. Most meals were eaten in our rig as the set up was more comfortable!
We love the motorhome, and we love the Airstream friends we have met with it, although in any Airstream gathering we are the minority.
Try to look at some Airstream motorhomes. Keep an open mind - since they are older and less expensive, you can do a lot of interior mods to bring it up to your taste.
Most of all, enjoy the journey, whether it is across the country or just down the road.
wheelygoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:10 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Langley , British Columbia
Hello,
We have an Air Stream Class A MotorHome (MoHo) and we have really like it.
2004 Land Yacht 30' gas. We tow a small Saturn behind it that is 2005.
It has been pampered so in great shape.

We are selling it because our municipal bylaws changed and it is now about 5' too long in thedriveway to be there (we chose not to store it). So we are going to buy a much shorter Airstream trailer.

Not just because we are selling ours, my advise is to buy a used one and see how that works. MotorHome versus trailer, etc.

We had a sway package added so handles beautifully and whether is is bad on gas, I have no idea when we compare ours to those with big trucks pulling trailers. Many many extras, such as a cover specially made for the rig and has a zip for the door so one can still get in and out, when covered.

Text or message me if interested Shelby 604-290-8778 Good luck
shelbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:10 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
I have been all over the map on this. We have had two different motor homes and towed small cars across the country to provide transportation when we got somewhere. Before that, we started with a tent, moved up to a tent-camper, small travel trailer, etc. After decades of experience, we settled on and are delighted to be pulling an Airstream 27' Eddie Bauer.

The difference, in our experience, is whether one wants to be "camping" or have, quite literally, a house with all the relative luxuries of a nice house. On the road, traveling with the Airstream is a dream. Yes, as the prime driver, I am aware that we are now 47' long, but other than that, driving is a pleasant experience. Traveling in a class-A MH towing a car is akin to driving an 18 wheeler, or a bus. There is little room for error and in urban areas, it was a form of torture. Backing (with a towed car) was something close to impossible. It could be done, but was a truly major challenge. Getting that MH and towed vehicle into a fueling station was one of the more significant challenges.

The big plus to a motorhome is that people other than the driver can move about, prepare food, lay down, etc. That is indeed a big plus if strapped-in safety is not a concern. One of the most important issues that converted us from motorhomes to Airstream was the death of a friend in a motorhome accident. Tires do blow out. If you lose a front tire in a class-A motorhome, you WILL lose steering control. If you blow the left front tire, you will be crossing into ongoing traffic. Our friends had that happen in a motorhome with tires less than three years old while on a two-lane highway. Another class-A was headed the other way on the highway. Since he was drifting left with a full right-hand input into the steering, he swung left to cross ahead of the oncoming traffic. They sideswiped, and his wife/passenger was killed by flying debris. Anyone not strapped down would have been severely injured. Note that we acted from anecdotal information. The only study I could find suggested that the deaths per million miles traveled in a class-A were about 1/3 that of overall traffic deaths. Of course, the deaths per million miles in a 3/4 ton pickup are also very low! The bigger the vehicle, the lower the death rate. When deaths did occur, they were overwhelmingly collisions at highway speeds with other large vehicles (probably head-on).

Last, but certainly not least, the maintenance and breakdown time and expense using a heavy-duty pickup and an Airstream are minimal. If you intend to keep the motor home for a decade or more, and given the depreciation, I suggest you do plan on that, you are going to see the maintenance and repair costs rise exponentially. Large motorhomes are like aircraft in that you will need to exercise that vehicle regularly or it will turn into a maintenance nightmare.
Loden is offline   Reply With Quote