Old 05-26-2016, 06:31 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Without seeing that video - I just did not get a good gut feeling when I first plunked myself into the seat of a MH. Rather, "I would probably kill myself in this thing."

So, went for a trailer because I was familiar and experienced with the F150.. Then I went for an Airstream because of the low-level, safer to tow profile.
However, that did not make me smug and careless. I seldom go "highway speed" when trailering. How fast was he going? (The Class A while pulling a toad).
He was traveling at about 50-55 MPH on a relatively narrow road in the mountains of northern New Mexico.

- For whatever it is worth, in the discovery phase of the litigation documents emerged that indicated a typical Class-A would be uncontrollable with or without the application of the brakes; however, brake application would exacerbate the turn in the direction of the blown tire.

He told me that the initial pull from the blown tire before he could turn right took him over the centerline and he was unable to get back in his lane with full right wheel input. He said he did accelerate in an attempt to gain control but that it only resulted in increased speed and no movement to the right. That is when he elected to go with the pull and attempt to cross ahead of the oncoming Class A MH.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:42 PM   #58
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olustee bus View Post
I am an accountant (retired) and I am a cheapskate. I am really interested in an airstream for our first camper. My wife, influenced by close friends, is interested in a new MH. We will be traveling with those friends.

I really like the idea of not losing 25 percent of value in the first year and another 15 percent the next year.

Is an airstream more financially wise than a MH?

It would probably require me to get a new or newer truck but I need one and I can finance it. Mine is a 2004 with 130000 miles.

I will be asking more questions on this post as I learn more.

What is your opinion on an airstream versus class A motorhome?

Thanks
I had six various Airstreams over twenty years... from a '62 Bambi 16' to a '94 34' tri-axle. I've had an Airstream 325 motorhome. I sold my last Airstream and bought a Bigfoot 25' fiberglass camper and pickup, and had those for nine years. And i've had two Born Free motorhomes, one on an E450 chassis a few years ago, and my current Born Free 32 RQ is a Super-C on a Chevy Kodiak chassis.

I've also had two camper vans, an Airstream B-190 and now a Coachmen 190.

First, let me address your "cheap" side. The total cost of ownership of any RV depends on how much you pay for it, what the money costs you in interest, what the total depreciation is, operating and repair expenses, storage fees, license and registration fees, and insurance costs. You really need to consider ALL of these expenses when making a meaningful comparison between RVs... and you can actually come up with a pretty close total cost of ownership estimate to compare units that way. Don't get involved in the "fuel costs" debates. Unless you're on the road as a full-timer, you'll likely drive whatever RV you have less than 5,000 miles a year. That makes the fuel expenses for all of them pretty insignificant in the total cost of ownership, and it usually pales in comparison to annual depreciation.

Here's what I've learned about traveling with a trailer vs. traveling with a motorhome:

Each has benefits. What you need to consider is HOW you travel. If you go from place to place and stay for a week or so, a trailer works well. If, like me, you travel and seldom spend more than a night or two in one place, or you visit friends or relatives frequently, towing a trailer gets to be a real hassle hitching and unhitching and all of the things that go with that. Traveling in a motorhome is more simple; even towing a car.

I found that the total cost of ownership of the motorhome I bought is actually less than that of having the pickup and trailer I had, it's more convenient, and frankly, is more comfortable. I have a 7kw generator that allows me to be comfortable when traveling and staying in places other than campgrounds which I do frequently (saving as much as $70/night.)

And the maintenance on the Super-C Kodiak chassis is about the same as maintaining a dually 1-ton truck, and the mechanic I use to work on my cars does all the work on the Kodiak for me. It's actually easier to service than most cars because of its tip-forward hood and removable fender wells.

I echo the sentiments of other posters who advise to "never buy new." The motorhome I bought lost over $110k to depreciation in nine years before I bought it for a very reasonable sum with only 32,000 miles on it. It needed new tires and shocks, and some chassis work, but it was still a steal. I actually have less in it than I had in my Y2K Excursion and the '94 tri-axle 34' two-door and I bought those both used.

A Super-C has all of the amenities of a Class A with almost none of the problems, and my Born Free requires substantially less maintenance than any current model Airstream.

So, that's my assessment, and how I've gotten to where I am today.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:35 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Wife wants a new Class A motor home - I am interested in Airstream

My take.

A class A = a lot more space, for hauling around mostly more stuff that you wont need or use.

A class A = no need for a separate tow vehicle! This is way cool! Except that you will want to have a smaller vehicle to drive around in, so you will need to tow a vehicle behind the motorhome.

I guess I am bias, but I have used a class A, that is why I am a trailer guy.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:40 PM   #60
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Looked at this question from a different perspective. RV park full of Mohos, trailers and two ASs. The other folks were all having fun too. There was a guy who went from a toy hauler to a Moho to a fifth wheel to a 24ft tow behind. He had an opinion. We all do.

People like what they can fit into their budget and enjoy.

Establish what you define to be reasonable and go shopping. Learn enough about the market to understand what it costs to maintain, store and travel where you want to go.

If your friends have Mohos, that may be the way you can best enjoy the lifestyle. But several folks here have commented that there are a lot of ways to have a Moho. One campground had a group staying. The Mohos varied from $$ to $$$$$$$ and all were enjoying the lifestyle.

Understand what the wife wants and why. Then see how best to address.

The storage building that keeps Glimmer dry also houses a large number of Mohos. The lady that helps us there sold theirs this year. Things change. You will too. Figure out what you need to do now.

Travel safe. Pat
Old 05-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
If you want to survive the Zombie Apocalypse, these long-time Airstreamers recommend a Class A.....
Old 05-27-2016, 05:06 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
BTW, no OP since original post.....
Old 05-27-2016, 08:04 PM   #63
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
BTW, no OP since original post.....
So? The percentage of one-post wonders on AirForums is 11% of the total number of registered users.

But since about 63% of all registered users have a post count of zero, that means the number of users with just one post is a whopping 30% of the total number of people who have ever actually posted here on the Forums.

By comparison, the number of people with ten or more posts is just 9% of the total number of registered users, or just 24% of the number of people who have posted at least once. So nearly a third of all posters only ever post once, and only a quarter of all posters keep at it long enough to earn even a single rivet next to their username.

The fact that the OP has never returned to make another post is no reason to let a lively discussion die on this or any other thread.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Wow - some interesting stats!!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:43 PM   #65
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Wow - some interesting stats!!
Amazing what one can learn when stuck inside the Airstream on a rainy day with little to do but play on the Internet.

That happened to me one rainy day last week, when a comment on another thread made me curious as to just how many people quit after just one post. I just went to "Community" then "Members List" and sorted by number of posts, and found out.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:48 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Sure hope we haven't driven him off. In case he is still here, though, here's my $0.02 worth. Some of you have given me some of this advice, and some of you have read it from me before.

Before you go off to buy an RV, spend some time thinking about how it will be used. How many people/pets? Do any of them have mobility issues? How often will you be moving? Where will you be going?

All of these, and many more, will affect your choice. When we did the research and asked the questions, the answers led us to our Foretravel MH. Life changes, and the answers are different today than they were three years ago. Our Foretravel is now for sale, and will be replaced by an Airstream TT.

Regardless of what type of coach fits you, it is a very rare person who gets it absolutely right the first time, and thus can justify a new coach. Most of us are off at least a little bit, and some are totally wrong. Buying new, only to trade it in on something else a few months later, is a recipe for financial disaster. Buying a used coach is cheaper initially, and you won't take as big a depreciation hit when you trade it for something else.

It is worth it to buy a quality coach, even if it means buying one a couple of years older. The quality coaches are generally better made, and better cared for. Yes, there are exceptions, but that's generally the case.

Go out and talk to people in the campgrounds. Ask them why they chose that TYPE (not brand) of RV. Then ask yourself how their answers fit your situation.

As I've said many times, I'd rather ask a thousand questions before writing a large check than ask one question a thousand times after writing that check.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:36 AM   #67
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
So? The percentage of one-post wonders on AirForums is 11% of the total number of registered users.

But since about 63% of all registered users have a post count of zero, that means the number of users with just one post is a whopping 30% of the total number of people who have ever actually posted here on the Forums.

By comparison, the number of people with ten or more posts is just 9% of the total number of registered users, or just 24% of the number of people who have posted at least once. So nearly a third of all posters only ever post once, and only a quarter of all posters keep at it long enough to earn even a single rivet next to their username.

The fact that the OP has never returned to make another post is no reason to let a lively discussion die on this or any other thread.