Old 05-23-2016, 02:19 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sample it - two or three times.

Don't over complicate it. One size does NOT fit all. Some people are always on a quest for "better" ... happiness is always just one more _________ away. Others are happy where they are, and the most fortunate find happiness WHEREVER they are.

Paying for NOTHING: Go on an educational tour less than 50 miles from your home - Find an RV campground that also offers on-site storage. Drive through it and count the stored RV's - especially the ones covered in leaves, pine needles, green algae, or with tarps that are disintegrating. That will be 2 out of every 3 RV's in storage. About the only thing you rarely if ever see in one of these graveyards is a pop-up, or an A-frame fold up, or a tiny egg like the Casita... and that's probably because 99% of them are in home garages or sheds or backyards where the storage is free. Spend TIME playing around the RV world before you commit to buying one - and don't be suckered into buying something you lose interest in (or worse, hate) after 2-3 trips.

Most of us have our personal taste, style, and/or comfort level. And with RV's you really CAN sample the lifestyle two or three or five times BEFORE you make a commitment.

I strongly recommend staying FAR away from the RV dealers - they're in it to MAKE MONEY and they do that by separating you from yours. Find an AirForums rally and go visit - if you have NO trailer, fine, find a nearby motel and visit all day and half the night. Find a Tin Can Tourists Rally - they're not brand specific and it's a good place to see a bit of everything! Browse! Talk, Listen, Ask. I'm not "into" mohos - but Prevost, Newmar, Bluebird are well known names with a rep for quality - and price tags that will make a month long tour around the world seem to be a bargain. Find places to meet satisfied owners of seven or eight or nine different brands - and every different type of RV there is.

Heck, buy a Scamp or a Casita ($20K loaded new) for your "year of exploring" - then sell it for about a $500 loss when you both know what will make you really happy.

Oh, and on the moho - insist that your wife be equally able to drive it. Find a local truck driving school that offers a course in RV driving and safety. You can make the very logical point that you could break a collar bone and both of you'd be stuck 1000 miles from home if she couldn't get behind the wheel. True story: I was looking for a campground in 2004 here in Virginia Beach - wanted to unload "this old moneypit house" and simplify, but wasn't ready to retire. Checked out one that I'd driven by 100's of times without ever stopping in. Saw two big new motor homes for sale. One about 3 months old, the other 7 months old. The husband had died in the first case, and had a disabling health situation in the second one. Both were for sale for about 2/3 of the price that they'd been bought for. Not JUST depreciation, but also a family that suddenly had a lot less income and a huge increase in outgo. Both were fire sales to just get rid of the payments. Both sold. Fast forward to 2008 when the housing market collapsed and everyone found out who Bernie Madeoff was. I met a man who'd gone to a dealer and bought a brand new Prevost - listed for $300K, he offered $186K and got it.

Be smart and wait until you and wife are on the same page... but read five or six chapters before you even begin to get serious about buying.

Happy trails - and Happy Trials! Paula

Old 05-23-2016, 03:42 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Also, know that what one couple/family loves and considers to be wonderful... Another couple/family couldn't/wouldn't want to make do with.

Whatever RV you consider may be great for one couple/family and be totally unsuitable for another.

You've simply got to carefully and methodically determine what you truly want and need for your own, unique set of circumstances and then find the appropriate RV to meet that.

You cannot assume that what works for someone else will work for you, no matter how hard anyone else tries to convince you.

Ultimately, there is no RV type, nor brand, that is the magic bullet. Many RVers go from trailer to 5th wheel to motor home in no particular order, seeking out what will serve them best. Sometimes, most times probably, that may be the only way to truly determine what will work the best for you.

Buying used helps ease the pain of changing your mind after you've discovered what you think you really want.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:18 AM   #31
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If your only decision point is cost vs. value, a travel trailer will win every time, even if that trailer is an Airstream.
----------------

But some of us have other decision points to consider, which is why we don't all have travel trailers. Variety is the spice of life.
---------------------

[QUOTE=dames7;1795271]Good luck with that one, Wife holds the keys to Happiest and the Magic Garden.

We did 9,000 miles last year and with a AS you can go anywhere with out and problems, you should sit down and plan were you want to travel too and see the difference of traveling with a Class A (cost) and a AS.

You will fine that everything is open to a AS and not a Class A, like State Parks, National Parks and much more.

But, like I said, Good luck with that one, remember who holds the keys.[/QUOTE
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanologist View Post
Don't BUY either until you rent each type. A Motorhome's a MAJOR cost to purchase, maintain, and store. Check out the costs closely! Absolutely a great thing that you are professional accountant!! Buy used in either case; many a new RV purchase quickly is on the secondary market due to imprudent decisions. My spouse TOO wanted a MH until they saw the things that they'd have to trade away. We use our PanAmerica and wait for a 2014 Tiffin Allegro MH to match our $$.
All great points....

Remember.....

Most times, she's not happy, 'til your not happy.

Bob

After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Im the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:05 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Buy what the wife wants and enjoy it. If it doesn't work out then try a trailer. It's more important to have harmony in your life than a travel trailer. Be happy.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:49 AM   #33
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
And... whichever way you decide to go... don't forget, all of us RVers should have a couple of great shotguns and a good stock of 00 Buckshot on board... just in case you should unexpectedly find yourself in a threatening situation. You would not want to find yourself completely defenseless and begging for mercy from a scumbag (or a group of scumbags). Been there, done that. Better prepared now; fortunate to still be here. (Shotguns are arguably the best defensive weapon for close quarters defense there is!)
You had to bring up guns on a RV camping site?????? What is it with you people; just stay home if you're that paranoid about going outside all Rambo'd up. As a retired Royal Marine Commando I'm laughing at what you Americans call close quarter weapon, as no Commando's ever used shotguns, close quarter .

A common household kitchen knife is close quarter weaponry and you don't have to reload it. If your feeling all Rambo'd up, you can even get a Kukri just to make sure.

The big problem with you Yanks is you're all taught to shoot, but not taught when to hold fire; even when the adrenaline was pumping in combat my finger wasn't around the trigger.

No kid ever killed their parents picking up a knife off the ground.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #34
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
If you want to survive the Zombie Apocalypse, these long-time Airstreamers recommend a Class A.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Funny. But an element of reality as well.

And... whichever way you decide to go... don't forget, all of us RVers should have a couple of great shotguns and a good stock of 00 Buckshot on board... just in case you should unexpectedly find yourself in a threatening situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
You had to bring up guns on a RV camping site?
This is what happens when jokes by one poster get taken seriously by subsequent posters. Fortunately it's not too late to get back on track, and return to discussing the relative merits of motorhomes vs. travel trailers, or the equally pertinent relative merits of domestic bliss vs. financial responsibility.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:06 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Huh, in our opinion it depends on your intended usage. We have done and used them all, from backpacking tents in James Bay Canada by canoe (transported by train) to 38' Motorhome. In our opinion it all depends on budget as as stated your use. If you plan on driving to the beach or mountains and setting up for a while - we suggest MoHo. But, if you plan on a night or two in each place and plan on covering some distance, last year we did a 10,000 mile trip nothing quite matches an Airstream Travel Trailer.

Good luck,

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:10 AM   #36
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
This is what happens when jokes by one poster get taken seriously by subsequent posters. Fortunately it's not too late to get back on track, and return to discussing the relative merits of motorhomes vs. travel trailers, or the equally pertinent relative merits of domestic bliss vs. financial responsibility.
My bad, consider my wrist slapped. Thanks Protagonist.

Blood pressure coming down now; Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Monticello , Florida
During the 5/6 yrs full time in a 40' and a 43' Tiffin we estimate we spent 6 months in repair shops. Most of the repairs were caused by the shops damaging the RV! Very costly to operate but a great ride. When we came off the road we had to come up with $48,000 to get out off the loan. Both R Vs were used. Never buy new! Love our 2000 AS after gutting 1/2 of it.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
If you look carefully you can buy a gently used older Airstream, take care of it, maybe improve it a bit, and your overall cost of ownership will be close to zero. If you're genuinely a tightwad you should stay far, far away from Moho's. The maintenance costs will ruin your RVing experience.

John
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
And that isn't a joke?
Old 05-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I do not think we should joke about the zombie apocalypse! It is obviously real! As soon as you talk about it enough, 22 caliber ammo disappears from existence!

And because it should not be joked about...the gas mileage on the AS interstate is pretty amazing...gas could be hard to come by when the "you know what" hits the fan, so another notch for the MoHo column in the continued deliberations.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:58 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I do not think we should joke about the zombie apocalypse! It is obviously real! As soon as you talk about it enough, 22 caliber ammo disappears from existence!

And because it should not be joked about...the gas mileage on the AS interstate is pretty amazing...gas could be hard to come by when the "you know what" hits the fan, so another notch for the MoHo column in the continued deliberations.
I see some brilliant marketing opportunities here.

There are many types of apocalypse (besides the zombie-driven one). For example: the wildfire apocalypse in Fort MacMurray.
The evacuees that are enjoying relative comfort, security, and privacy are those who escaped with their RV and are cocooned in a nice campground. The rest are holed-up with friends, relatives, or worse (an army cot in a rec centre).

So, my advice to the OP: Be it MH or trailer, buy something before it's too late.

BTW Pharm, good point. Gas was an issue for those escaping Fort Mac.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
No one has came back to your original post, DW wants class A...

Will she drive it? Does she do mechanics? Is she the main source of income? Does she give you an allowance and likes the run the show? If you can say no to most of the questions, then do your research and buy what you can handle financially, physically and mentally.
My daily driver couldn't pull a trailer of any size, so when you compare MH to trailers add cost of a large PU or SUV to haul it, plus the mpg cost over an economical daily drive.

I've never liked tents, did the 5 footitus over the yrs, Westfalia, Coachhouse, AS. Set minimum requirements each time and enjoyed them equally. Also didn't like the idea of pulling a trailer and having watched couples trying to park I still like MH, even if I have to pull a toad, with mirrors and rear camera I can park MH in much smaller spaces than a trailer by myself. DW will drive the toad when it is convenient, but not the MH.
Good Luck on your search.