Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-07-2014, 06:30 AM   #29
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Many RV repair places won't touch Airstreams because of the reputation of Airstream owners to be "difficult".
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
 
2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 203
Blog Entries: 1
CWF: Yes, you've hit one of my suspicions: that it's not AS that they don't like dealing with, but AS owners. That would explain their rather nasty reaction. Of course that could be a sufficient explanation, not a necessary one: they may also not want to deal with Airstream. Who may be just as uppity and hard to please as AS owners.

Present company excluded, of course.
__________________

__________________
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
CWF: Yes, you've hit one of my suspicions: that it's not AS that they don't like dealing with, but AS owners. That would explain their rather nasty reaction. Of course that could be a sufficient explanation, not a necessary one: they may also not want to deal with Airstream. Who may be just as uppity and hard to please as AS owners.

Present company excluded, of course.
Airstream owners, generally speaking, would most likely win the blue ribbon, for being the toughest to please.

Again, generally speaking, they want the best, and most of them don't mind paying to get the best.

But, some are not pleased, no matter what a dealer may offer. And yet, most others are pleased when they feel that they have been treated a little bit like above the rest.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #32
Rivet Master
 
dbj216's Avatar

 
1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,134
There are all kinds of people with all kinds of temperaments. But the Airstreamers I've met have been very friendly and hospitable. I think I would have to meet a lot of them before I found a difficult one.

David
__________________
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #33
Rivet Master
 
Glenritas's Avatar

 
1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
There are all kinds of people with all kinds of temperaments. But the Airstreamers I've met have been very friendly and hospitable. I think I would have to meet a lot of them before I found a difficult one.

David
I agree

But I met one that was nice at first then later turned curt.
__________________
Glen & Jane 1969 all electric Airstream 25' TradeWind
2014 Toyota Tundra
1998 Chevy Tahoe
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #34
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,417
Blog Entries: 2
But you didn't meet them in a business situation! When I rode BMW MC we earned the same reputation for being difficult and rightfully so. Most AS people need to lighten up. You are a great group with attitude problem when dealing with repair shops. Paranoid?
__________________
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:59 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member
 
2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 203
Blog Entries: 1
I agree, nearly all of the AS folks I've met (like all of the sailors) are great, friendly, giving people. To each other.

On the other hand, I agree that we might not be willing to put up with horsehockey from people who aren't up to our standards.

Why is that? I think it's the demographic. We spent a snotload of money on our trailers and we did a lot of shopping and bought something way too expensive because it also appeared to be the best thing going. So we don't want them dinged by Joe the Mechanic. And we're all just a little bit older and wiser and have had our fill of crap already in life and don't want to take any more from anybody.

Present company ... uh ... well ... recognized.
__________________
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #36
cwf
Rivet Master
 
cwf's Avatar
 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,935
Images: 2
Howdy!
As Mr. Andy has stated, from his experiences, generally AS folk are reasonable. I have usually been treated well at both AS and SOB dealers.... USUALLY!

When I tell them what I am trying to purchase parts for, they literally take a step back sometimes... I ask them "why" and they say.. "Those are special trailers, we don't KNOW if this will work for your situation.".... Bottom line.. they usually don't want give bad/wrong advice.. I tell them.. hey, they aren't that different...just the way folks perceive them.. after a short conversation, they usually say.. "Thanks for taking time to share that information with me... it is good to know ..."

So, we can make a difference in ways we may not fully expect...just choose which one...

I tell my kids, "You will never be a TOTAL failure in life....you will either be a wonderful example or a terrible warning."
__________________
Peace and Blessings..
Channing
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #37
Rivet Master
 
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,648
I don't deal with repair shops of any kind. I have found 90% of them to be incompetent.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
But you didn't meet them in a business situation! When I rode BMW MC we earned the same reputation for being difficult and rightfully so. Most AS people need to lighten up. You are a great group with attitude problem when dealing with repair shops. Paranoid?
__________________
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #38
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I don't deal with repair shops of any kind. I have found 90% of them to be incompetent.

Perry
Perry.

How in the world did you find that 10 percent.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #39
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
I agree, nearly all of the AS folks I've met (like all of the sailors) are great, friendly, giving people. To each other.

On the other hand, I agree that we might not be willing to put up with horsehockey from people who aren't up to our standards.

Why is that? I think it's the demographic. We spent a snotload of money on our trailers and we did a lot of shopping and bought something way too expensive because it also appeared to be the best thing going. So we don't want them dinged by Joe the Mechanic. And we're all just a little bit older and wiser and have had our fill of crap already in life and don't want to take any more from anybody.

Present company ... uh ... well ... recognized.
How true, how very true.

And the earth still travels better than 1,000 miles per hour.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #40
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,046
Images: 11
Why won't RV places deal with Airstream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Many RV repair places won't touch Airstreams because of the reputation of Airstream owners to be "difficult".

I think that might be one of those "unpopular truths".

I thought it right away, I wasn't going to say it, but now that the cat is out of the bag....

It may be that the majority of A/S owners are reasonable but I have seen posts on this forum from some that I would not want to engage in commerce with, or even take the chance.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #41
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,598
Images: 1
The problem as I recall or is that A/S hides appliances all too well. Access is difficult. This goes to memory from the 1950s forward. Parents and grandparents had Silver Streak and Streamline respectively. Had to assure dealer or tech that access could not be easier


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________

__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deal or no deal? metalhead Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 3 03-05-2009 03:59 PM
1965 Tradewind deal or no deal soldiermedic Trailer Values 32 03-05-2007 05:54 PM
68 Safari...Deal or No Deal? soldiermedic Trailer Values 15 10-29-2006 10:54 AM
Trying to decide - Deal or No Deal baldwicm Wheel Wells 19 04-06-2006 08:39 PM
Why, Why, Why aviontt On The Road... 22 11-20-2003 08:41 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.