Old 11-07-2014, 06:30 AM   #29
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Many RV repair places won't touch Airstreams because of the reputation of Airstream owners to be "difficult".

Old 11-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
CWF: Yes, you've hit one of my suspicions: that it's not AS that they don't like dealing with, but AS owners. That would explain their rather nasty reaction. Of course that could be a sufficient explanation, not a necessary one: they may also not want to deal with Airstream. Who may be just as uppity and hard to please as AS owners.

Present company excluded, of course.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
CWF: Yes, you've hit one of my suspicions: that it's not AS that they don't like dealing with, but AS owners. That would explain their rather nasty reaction. Of course that could be a sufficient explanation, not a necessary one: they may also not want to deal with Airstream. Who may be just as uppity and hard to please as AS owners.

Present company excluded, of course.
Airstream owners, generally speaking, would most likely win the blue ribbon, for being the toughest to please.

Again, generally speaking, they want the best, and most of them don't mind paying to get the best.

But, some are not pleased, no matter what a dealer may offer. And yet, most others are pleased when they feel that they have been treated a little bit like above the rest.

Andy
Old 11-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
There are all kinds of people with all kinds of temperaments. But the Airstreamers I've met have been very friendly and hospitable. I think I would have to meet a lot of them before I found a difficult one.

David
Old 11-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
There are all kinds of people with all kinds of temperaments. But the Airstreamers I've met have been very friendly and hospitable. I think I would have to meet a lot of them before I found a difficult one.

David
I agree

But I met one that was nice at first then later turned curt.
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
But you didn't meet them in a business situation! When I rode BMW MC we earned the same reputation for being difficult and rightfully so. Most AS people need to lighten up. You are a great group with attitude problem when dealing with repair shops. Paranoid?
Old 11-11-2014, 05:59 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
I agree, nearly all of the AS folks I've met (like all of the sailors) are great, friendly, giving people. To each other.

On the other hand, I agree that we might not be willing to put up with horsehockey from people who aren't up to our standards.

Why is that? I think it's the demographic. We spent a snotload of money on our trailers and we did a lot of shopping and bought something way too expensive because it also appeared to be the best thing going. So we don't want them dinged by Joe the Mechanic. And we're all just a little bit older and wiser and have had our fill of crap already in life and don't want to take any more from anybody.

Present company ... uh ... well ... recognized.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #36
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy!
As Mr. Andy has stated, from his experiences, generally AS folk are reasonable. I have usually been treated well at both AS and SOB dealers.... USUALLY!

When I tell them what I am trying to purchase parts for, they literally take a step back sometimes... I ask them "why" and they say.. "Those are special trailers, we don't KNOW if this will work for your situation.".... Bottom line.. they usually don't want give bad/wrong advice.. I tell them.. hey, they aren't that different...just the way folks perceive them.. after a short conversation, they usually say.. "Thanks for taking time to share that information with me... it is good to know ..."

So, we can make a difference in ways we may not fully expect...just choose which one...

I tell my kids, "You will never be a TOTAL failure in life....you will either be a wonderful example or a terrible warning."
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I don't deal with repair shops of any kind. I have found 90% of them to be incompetent.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
But you didn't meet them in a business situation! When I rode BMW MC we earned the same reputation for being difficult and rightfully so. Most AS people need to lighten up. You are a great group with attitude problem when dealing with repair shops. Paranoid?
Old 11-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #38
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I don't deal with repair shops of any kind. I have found 90% of them to be incompetent.

Perry
Perry.

How in the world did you find that 10 percent.

Andy
Old 11-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #39
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
I agree, nearly all of the AS folks I've met (like all of the sailors) are great, friendly, giving people. To each other.

On the other hand, I agree that we might not be willing to put up with horsehockey from people who aren't up to our standards.

Why is that? I think it's the demographic. We spent a snotload of money on our trailers and we did a lot of shopping and bought something way too expensive because it also appeared to be the best thing going. So we don't want them dinged by Joe the Mechanic. And we're all just a little bit older and wiser and have had our fill of crap already in life and don't want to take any more from anybody.

Present company ... uh ... well ... recognized.
How true, how very true.

And the earth still travels better than 1,000 miles per hour.

Andy
Old 11-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Why won't RV places deal with Airstream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Many RV repair places won't touch Airstreams because of the reputation of Airstream owners to be "difficult".

I think that might be one of those "unpopular truths".

I thought it right away, I wasn't going to say it, but now that the cat is out of the bag....

It may be that the majority of A/S owners are reasonable but I have seen posts on this forum from some that I would not want to engage in commerce with, or even take the chance.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #41
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The problem as I recall or is that A/S hides appliances all too well. Access is difficult. This goes to memory from the 1950s forward. Parents and grandparents had Silver Streak and Streamline respectively. Had to assure dealer or tech that access could not be easier

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote