Old 11-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #15
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
My wife is.
Did you form that opinion on your own or did she tell you to think that?

Ken

Old 11-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Except for generic rv parts, who would you want anyone but an AS dealer to do your work?

Old 11-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Did you form that opinion on your own or did she tell you to think that?

Ken
Ah, cat people. Always cynical. She told me she was perfect, but I made up my own mind about it. The brainwashing had nothing to do with it nothing to do with it nothing to do with it zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Except for generic rv parts, who would you want anyone but an AS dealer to do your work?
Zigzagetc.: You're basically right. I wouldn't have anyone but AS or an AS dealer touch the skin or anything inside the skin. But we're talking pretty generic stuff. That's why my [former] repair shop's reaction was so bizarre ... and what prompted this particular question.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
As someone already posted. Sanders in Alachua, fl. On I75. Six or so hours away.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
My local SOB dealer did an excellent job installing a skylight on my AS. Very professional high integrity shop.

Cheers,
John
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Timeless Travel Trailers and probably some other Airstream specialty places not directly associated with Airstream Inc.

Ken
Old 11-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I have found there are Dometic dealers, Suburban dealers, Thetford dealers, Colman dealers, etc. I had to have my new Dometic fridge circuit board replaced under warranty and Camping World is a Dometic dealer. Because I hauled my fridge up there in an Airstream trailer made no difference to them.

I think any shop with certified RV techs can work on an Airstream except repairing damage to the skins, or re-aligning a door. Some of those repair steps are certainly Airstream exclusive. I can understand why some RV business owners are reluctant to work on Airstreams because if their employees damage the thing, they are very expensive to repair.

I read on these Air Forums that Jackson Center warranty and service work is significantly improving. They certainly treated me well there during my visit.

David
Old 11-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
I'm in the process of resto modding our '69 Tradewind .

I had a local body shop straighten a few wrinkles on the outer skin after I pulled the inner skin.

I had a local RV shop install a roof mounted A/C I bought from them, remove the old fashioned TV antenna and install a Jack digital TV antenna I bought at C.W. along with a pair of Maxxair remote controlled vents I bought from Amazon, replacing the original roof vents.

I had Camping World replace the rear 4' of floor, cut and cap the in floor duct and remove the Black tank, install an Airstream compartment door I got from VTS and they also shaved 125 Olympic rivets .

I had no problem getting any of this work done at local shops
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3621.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	225930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tundra : Airstream Test Drive.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	225931  

2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #24
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Been thinking about this...
I know the local SOB service folks say "we don't know how"... but ....

I suppose they are not interested..

Funny, but, it might be about what they call/consider a 'typical' AS owner... sorta like BMW's

"Do you know what the cheapest component is on a BMW? The owner."

I'd rather consider myself 'discriminating' or "too aware to let them hoodwink me"
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Been thinking about this...
I know the local SOB service folks say "we don't know how"... but ....

I suppose they are not interested..

Funny, but, it might be about what they call/consider a 'typical' AS owner... sorta like BMW's

"Do you know what the cheapest component is on a BMW? The owner."

I'd rather consider myself 'discriminating' or "too aware to let them hoodwink me"
I apologize for the slight veer off course. However, although I have heard "hoodwinked" many times and know what it means, I for some reason this time thought, "Where does that come from, anyway". A little searching found this:

"To be hoodwinked was to have one's eyes 'closed' or `covered' by one's hood (hoods were often worn when this term originated, in the 16th century). Thieves would hoodwink their victims in order to rob them. The term was also used to describe the practice of hooding hawks and falcons when they were carried."

Perhaps my curiosity was genetic. My maternal grandfather's surname was Falconer.

If everyone else already knew this, at least one of us learned something today.

Now, coming right, back to course 360.

Carry on,

Ken
Old 11-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #26
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
You don't work on square box trailers. The wood walls rot out leaving nothing to fix. Airstreams are at least fixable. The basic systems are the same as every other RV.

Perry
Really? Must have never seen the canned ham restorations...

FWIW I have rebuilt several wood framed trailers, some were put together a helluva lot better than my Airstream was.

Lack of preventive maintenance by owners does the most damage to trailers IMHO. I have seen some spectacular barn finds of canned hams from the late 50's. They are in much better shape than my 1981 Airstream that has rotten floor and frames.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Money & Dealer Floor Plan

Simple truth, dealers buy their units from the factory and have a bank or other financial institution pay for them. They pay interest until they sell the unit. I don't know what their cost to buy vs. cost to sell is, but if you can get 20% off list, it's got to be more than that.

If I were a dealer and could buy 10 SOB's for $50K or 2 Airstreams for the same amount? It's all about tying up capital. How many people right here worked their way up from popups, an Aliner, a Tab, and two or three other cheaper SOB's before "investing" in an Airstream. Airstreams are costly and when a dealer doesn't specialize in selling them, they sit on the lot much longer than the cheaper SOB's.

Most dealers only do service because they have to. That said, a lot of them that survived the recession (like it's really in the past tense) did so with service rather than sales. If they're not hurting for work, many of them seem to just hate Airstreams.

That said, around here there are two good mobile RV companies, both of which will work on Airstreams. They charge $100 just to come out, but at my home campground, we tend send out e-mails and let the neighbors know we've called one of them. If another camper then sets an appointment directly before or after the one already set, they split the "drive to" charge. One day the man worked on 5 trailers in a row. He replaced my water pump, and while the factory didn't pay the labor charge they did pay for the pump. They've cleaned out a cruddy water heater and done some other work for me too. Now, when I got a panel dinged I made a 550 mile trip to the mother ship. I could have gone to Out of Doors Mart in NC, but I also visited my family in Ohio.

Call around to campgrounds and see if there are any mobile services in your area. Some also work from a shop.

Oh, and I'm not a member of WBCCI, but in an active good unit, there are often maintenance rallies where you can learn to do stuff yourself, or if you're not handy, get someone who is to help you, or do it for you at very reasonable rates.

Paula

Paula
Old 11-07-2014, 05:40 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The design of most of the wood frame trailers is such that it is hard to prevent leaks. Aluminum bands with 100's of screws and constant moving of that upper corner joint. Poor quality wood that rots in minutes after being exposed to water. I grew up with RV's, motorhomes, trailers, and boats. All of them were a victim of wood frames and other structural elements.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Really? Must have never seen the canned ham restorations...

FWIW I have rebuilt several wood framed trailers, some were put together a helluva lot better than my Airstream was.

Lack of preventive maintenance by owners does the most damage to trailers IMHO. I have seen some spectacular barn finds of canned hams from the late 50's. They are in much better shape than my 1981 Airstream that has rotten floor and frames.

Aaron