Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
Overkill Specialist
 
GMFL's Avatar

 
2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,886
Images: 4
Blog Entries: 42
Why do we camp?

Here’s my most resent blog post that answers a few questions on why we do what we do.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-we-camp-3056/

Why do you camp?
__________________

__________________
Dept of ďOverKillĒ
GMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #2
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,614
Images: 5
We do it because we we can wake up in the morning in a place far from Santa Rosa Beach and still be at home in Lucy.


Brian
__________________

__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #3
Overkill Specialist
 
GMFL's Avatar

 
2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,886
Images: 4
Blog Entries: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Hereís my most resent blog post that answers a few questions on why we do what we do.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-we-camp-3056/

Why do you camp?

Ok, most of my blog post are about some cool MOD Iíve done or about a repair method I think might be helpful, but today Iím going to try and answer the Question.... Why do we Camp?

So, why do people camp? This is a complex question with many different answers. Some say because they love the outdoors, others the peace and quite, and some just love the nomadic lifestyle. For most of us, all the above apply, but I think for me thereís a couple reasons that I just recently uncovered.

I heard a story the other day about two people eating a meal together at a very fancy and expensive gourmet restaurant. One friend had invited the other to the meal and was super excited. The friend asked the guest during the meal, ďAre you enjoying the food?Ē The premise of the question was they wanted to make sure the guest was having a good time. The Guest answered, ďIím enjoying you.Ē This answer reinforced that the time spent with others was more important than the food.
Hereís the moral. A gourmet meal with someone who is not pleasant to be around would be a Horrible meal. A cold hotdog with a interesting pleasent person would be an Incredible meal.

Enjoying Life is more about spending time with enjoyable people and less about the method for which you spend it. Being madly in love in Paris, TX sure beats the heck out of a lovers quarrel in Paris, France.

Have you ever sat and had an enjoyable conversation with a stranger from another campsite? Me too. Do you think you would have had that conversation with that same person outside the camping environment? Me either.
Why is this? Why is it that we will take time to converse with complete strangers from any variation of social-economic background while camping when we otherwise would not even acknowledge their existence. Is it the common interest, environment, boredom...
I think in some strange way camping increases our vulnerability to social interaction, it increases curiosity, our desire for discovery. Camping puts our mind at ease, relaxes us, gives us the desire to absorb our surroundings and environment instead of blocking them out.

So, Why do we camp? My answer is all of the reasons previously mentioned above, love of the outdoors, peace and quite, being nomadic, but my main reason is it allows me to isolate myself with people I enjoy spending time with. It provides me with the ability to focus on those enjoyable relationships without many of the distractions I would have otherwise. Camping in our Airstream allows me to reclaim what the world so often steals. Quality time with people who are enjoyable me. Our Beloved Airstream is our method, but itís not why we camp.

Why do you camp?
__________________
Dept of ďOverKillĒ
GMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Fly at Night's Avatar
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,880
Images: 10
I'm running away from, or running to?

Haven't quite figured that one out yet.
__________________
easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:04 PM   #5
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel
 
az-streamer's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 521
Images: 20
Click image for larger version

Name:	C10DFCB1-DC9B-4526-AE53-57C37A833B2C.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	348341

ĎNuf said.
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:14 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,552
We don't camp, we travel. The shiny is a way to comfortably take our pups and go where we have not gone before. The support of those on the forum helps considerably with the success of our travels.

What gets us out? Something we want to do. It's an adventure! Hope to see you out there. Pat
PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
jaybauman's Avatar
 
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 68
After several fly-somewhere-interesting-and-do-fun-things vacations, we wanted to show the kids that there is a lot more to our great country than the insides of airports and cold, sterile hotel rooms. Now we can see even more fun places and enjoy the "commute" to get there as well. As an added bonus, since we feel we need to maximize the usage of our tenement on wheels, I'm finding that we are taking a lot more vacations and road trips--even if just for a long weekend. The wife loves it. The kids love it. What could be better? Maybe the better question should be "why doesn't everybody camp?"
__________________
2019 Flying Cloud 30FB Bunkhouse
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax
ProPride 3P w/ 1400 lb. spring bars
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:22 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
duncans's Avatar
 
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 229
Smile

I ask myself "why did I ever leave?" every time we are returning home. We live in a wonderful home on a farm with a 7 acre treed "park" along a rocky creek with 2 swimming holes...I guess it is 1) to remove myself from the daily upkeep 2) see new things, taste someone else's cooking (although we rarely eat out) 3) see how other people live / lived 4) return home with refreshed eyes that appreciate our blessed daily life.
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 22' Sport
Palos Verdes Estates , California
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 26
Why We Camp

We camp for a few reasons. There is something very appealing about trying to be as comfortable as possible with as little as possible. We also love the adventure of a road trip. Going someplace we haven't been before. Being in the moment without life's frequent distractions. Together. Novelty. Waking up early and seeing the first sun on a mountain peak. Seeing moose, bear, bald eagles and other wildlife. Never imagined I would love this so much but I do!


Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Ok, most of my blog post are about some cool MOD Iíve done or about a repair method I think might be helpful, but today Iím going to try and answer the Question.... Why do we Camp?

So, why do people camp? This is a complex question with many different answers. Some say because they love the outdoors, others the peace and quite, and some just love the nomadic lifestyle. For most of us, all the above apply, but I think for me thereís a couple reasons that I just recently uncovered.

I heard a story the other day about two people eating a meal together at a very fancy and expensive gourmet restaurant. One friend had invited the other to the meal and was super excited. The friend asked the guest during the meal, ďAre you enjoying the food?Ē The premise of the question was they wanted to make sure the guest was having a good time. The Guest answered, ďIím enjoying you.Ē This answer reinforced that the time spent with others was more important than the food.
Hereís the moral. A gourmet meal with someone who is not pleasant to be around would be a Horrible meal. A cold hotdog with a interesting pleasent person would be an Incredible meal.

Enjoying Life is more about spending time with enjoyable people and less about the method for which you spend it. Being madly in love in Paris, TX sure beats the heck out of a lovers quarrel in Paris, France.

Have you ever sat and had an enjoyable conversation with a stranger from another campsite? Me too. Do you think you would have had that conversation with that same person outside the camping environment? Me either.
Why is this? Why is it that we will take time to converse with complete strangers from any variation of social-economic background while camping when we otherwise would not even acknowledge their existence. Is it the common interest, environment, boredom...
I think in some strange way camping increases our vulnerability to social interaction, it increases curiosity, our desire for discovery. Camping puts our mind at ease, relaxes us, gives us the desire to absorb our surroundings and environment instead of blocking them out.

So, Why do we camp? My answer is all of the reasons previously mentioned above, love of the outdoors, peace and quite, being nomadic, but my main reason is it allows me to isolate myself with people I enjoy spending time with. It provides me with the ability to focus on those enjoyable relationships without many of the distractions I would have otherwise. Camping in our Airstream allows me to reclaim what the world so often steals. Quality time with people who are enjoyable me. Our Beloved Airstream is our method, but itís not why we camp.

Why do you camp?
debbietaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 112
Experiencing our beautiful country . Dreams of Adventure. Sharing this experience with family & Friends. Traveling through life at a slower pace . The surprise has been the wonderful people we have met on this journey. And the unbelievable Airsteam community. Passionate and beautiful people. Safe travels to all. See you down the road.
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #11
Yertle01.com
 
TRizzuti's Avatar
 
2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 106
I enjoy camping because it reminds me of the freedom I had as a youngster in the fifties. The kids I see in campgrounds run all over the place without helicopter parents. Not so in towns where they walk all over the place oblivious of their surroundings, tuned into their phones.

Last year we camped beside a young couple with a six or seven year old little girl. Suddenly, the girl started yelling Momma, Momma, I love camping, I love camping.

The year before I watched a young father teaching his five year old boy how to ride his bike without training wheels. The first day, the father held onto the back of the seat and walked alongside his son. The second day he ran along his son. By the third day, the boy was slapping his fatherís hand off the seat and riding faster than his dad could run. By the fourth day the kid was riding all over the campground with no father in sight.

These things are a joy that remind me of the good ol days.
__________________
Terry P. Rizzuti, "Yertle"
TRizzuti.com
Yertle01.com

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:17 PM   #12
PCJ
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 30' Classic
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 42
We used to count the # of nights in a year, but now that we're full time my camping friends said that now it's just living. But for all the reasons that many have you already listed.
Blessings
PCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,764
Images: 11
Why do we camp?

We started camping because we lived part of the year in one state and part of the year in another. That was about five years ago.

Now we have our brick and mortar house rented out, and we spend our time between three states and have been full timing since the beginning of April.

I like it more than I should.

Today, me and the pups are just chilling in basecamp New Mexico..... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1025.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	348406
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
banderabob's Avatar
 
2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
We don't camp, we travel. The shiny is a way to comfortably take our pups and go where we have not gone before. The support of those on the forum helps considerably with the success of our travels.

What gets us out? Something we want to do. It's an adventure! Hope to see you out there. Pat
Iím with PKI. Jan calls it camping, but I was never a camper growing up, just wasnít in the family genes. Streaming to me is traveling to old favorite spots as well as new ones, seeing the country at ground level, and enjoying nature and other Streamers. Itís too urban to be camping, but it ainít glamping either. It also allows me to go places where I might not go for lack of accommodations.
__________________

banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why buy a Base Camp? hrustar Base Camp 20 06-22-2017 05:39 AM
Why do you camp? SteveSueMac On The Road... 71 08-29-2015 01:58 PM
why oh why.... summerkid Our Community 4 02-12-2004 01:51 PM
Why, Why, Why aviontt On The Road... 22 11-20-2003 07:41 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.