Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 19' International
Santa Margarita , California
Why Did You Buy an Airstream instead of...?

I'm about to start a new job working for the Airstream dealer here on the Central Coast.

We've only owned our AS for four years, and only just recently taken it out on a 3 week long trip.

I know why I bought an Airstream... I honestly don't like the looks of any other RV. They always seem to invade whatever space they are in and frankly, they offend my artistic sensibilities :-) But Airstreams look beautiful wherever they are, they make any place they park look classy, modern and retro all at the same time. And being inside one is like being in a lovely yacht. I've just never considered anything else.

So why did YOU buy an AS instead of a bigger, cheaper RV? I would love to hear your answers :-)
ellenbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Because I only wanted to buy ONE in the next 20 years.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We bought ours because it is sleek, compact, efficient, easy to tow, and seem to be more durable than SOB trailers.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
I was going to buy an A-Frame pop-up. Wife said you can do that or I will go with you if you buy an airstream. no regrets.
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Vicksburg , Mississippi
I bought mine with the intentions of making a treehouse/mancave out of it but after further inspection I found it in much better shape than I thought.
After much debate i decided she's going back on the road instead of in the air.
I've loved airstreams since I was a kid watching the astronauts use them.
Al Boondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I bought mine because I thought that the quality would be equal to the premium price I paid. Ended up being very disappointed. I was not "in love" with the Airstream legend nor did I have an emotional attachment to the club concept. Rather than foist it off on another, I have it parked next to the Animas River and enjoy adult beverages with my wife as we watch the trains return from Silverton.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Floorplans are unique and didn't like the floorplans in shorter SOB, lots of windows, didn't want a slideout, easier entry because lower to ground, interior cabinet quality, Ultraleather seating (no crazy patterns), concerned with SOB fiberglass delamination in walls and roof, great support via Airforums. demand for used units when it is time to sell and they are different from all the rest out there.

Kelvin
Old 07-28-2016, 02:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Annapolis , Maryland
In 2010 I was living in a place that was about a hour from my office. I had a 12 year old black lab named Naje. She was pretty old at the time and sick often. I wanted to shorten my drive and help her more through her life. So I bought an Airstream and camped out close to my office. I even brought Naje to work with me every day. Naje got well and lived four more years. I now live in Germany and have a golden retriever named Lucky. We camp out and travel Europe in that Airstream. It's a luxury dog house that I'm always welcome in.
wander-west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Annapolis , Maryland
Oops ..... Got carried away in the story and missed the point. These circumstances were a great excuse to by an Airstream instead of a big white box. It is pleasing to the eye. Turns out it is super classy in Europe. Many white boxes here.
wander-west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
Damascus , Oregon
Well, My wife wanted an old Airstream and we "needed" a project.
That project is 2 and a half years old now.
We are the only the second owners.
It has been a great journey and we are soon to reap the benefits of our labour, our first rally is in 3 weeks. Only 2 weeks left of hard, dirty polishing. I'm calling it "the second coming".

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f104...er-111301.html
Old 07-28-2016, 03:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
We had a SOB for twenty plus years. We always thought the Airstreams looked great, and wanted one. It was time for a new trailer, and old SOB was worth almost nothing.

Now, in spite of replacing the converter, batteries, adding Centramatics, constantly checking the air pressure in my GYMs, chasing down some interior water leaks, and wishing I'd gone for some recliners instead of the dinette, we still love our AS, especially the large windows that let so much light in, the way it glows in forested sunlight, and the way it tows.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #12
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Why Did You Buy an Airstream instead of...?

Parents used to have an 34' Excella Airstream and then an Airstream Land Yacht motor home before down-sizing to a B+ motor home that we inherited. Loved RV-ing but didn't love the motor home. It was a beast to drive, had twin beds amidships and we did not want to add a toad. So we went with an Airstream International Signature 27FB. Fell in love with the CCD interior, the windows and the floor plan. Hated spending chunks of the next two years dealing with warranty issues, but happy that our dealer was helpful throughout. Despite that, we still love our Airstream trailer.

BTW, we also looked at smaller Class A motor homes, other B+ motor homes based on the Sprinter chassis (don't ask me to fold/unfold the queen bed every time I make/break camp), and even the Interstate (too small). Loved the idea of a trailer vs. maintaining two drive trains while camping, so we dropped the motor home idea pretty fast. Chose the 27FB because of the walk-around queen and the mistaken idea that the 28RB is longer than the 27FB. Still happy with our floor plan choice, even though the salesperson never helped us on that little detail.

For more details and Photos: http://www.casarocinante.com/About

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

We looked at stick built TT's first. Compare a 10 year old stick built to an Airstream. Then we looked at Egg's, just too small for us. While an AS requires a fair amount of maintenance, it's not difficult for someone with simple DYI skills. When you amortize the total cost of ownership over the time you own the trailer they are within reasonable parameters. Lastly and most importantly is: More Smiles per Mile !!!!
TinTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
I haven't purchased yet as I am still looking. But, one of the main reasons I want to go with the Airstream is the tow safety. The aerodynamics from the side gives me more confidence as a travel trailer than any other brand I have been looking at where the wind would find the side of the trailer and hit the side rather than having the roundness to go around the trailer.
MsTara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Louisville , Kentucky
After searching for a cool teardrop, I finally found a custom-built one that uses an Airstream aluminum skin. I was all set to buy it when my wife asked, "Where is the bathroom?" That's how we ended up with an Airstream.
Candominium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #16
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
There is no other. We looked. We were right. Not everyone feels that way.

Folks love them and fix them and travel with them. Those folks make AS.

Travel safe. Talk with folks. Pass it to AS. You could make a difference. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Aerodynamics, timeless design, plenty of windows, gorgeous interior, low entry height and profile, independent suspension, tow ability by a variety of comfortable, good handling vehicles, and excellent construction quality. All which have proven to be true in extensive travel and over 1,000 nights camping.

And when it breaks or wears out or is damaged it's always repairable and worth the effort and expense.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #18
Builder of Diesel Jeeps

2014 28' International
Sedona , Arizona
We had placed a deposit on an 11k single axle box trailer. A person had just traded a 19' 2008 Bambi on an identical unit; the dealer had it sold before the owner had towed the SOB away, no joke.

We got our deposit back, waited/saved 4 years. Took 2 years to get a brand-new trailer fixed, however it does tow well.
westernjeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:31 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
I am a sucker for traditional design. My Airstream, car, and boat I consider as traditional designs. However, I also consider them modern classics. Someone mentioned that the interiors of Airstreams reminds them of fine yachts. My '06 Safari has some fine cabinetry construction. I appreciate the light color double faced mica plywood as the Safari has fewer windows than other models. This keeps the interior bright. It also weighs in at about 5,300#. That was important to me.

When you couple together the quality, great towing, and good resale value Airstreams make good sense. That's why I chose an Airstream.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
In my case there was no " instead of". I went from a tent direct to an Airstream without considering or even looking at any SOBs. On my second Airstream now. I will admit to looking at many different brands now in consideration of what I will have planed in the near future. Personally I do not believe that Airstreams are the so called perfect full time live aboard option. Thinking a park model or tiny house in a more or less fixed location to call home with an Airstream to travel with.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote