TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:26 AM   #72

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We took access into account when we bought our Classic slide out. Everything is accessible with the slide retracted.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:25 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiss View Post
In an SOB with a slide, pulling off the side of the road to use the bathroom and get a snack for the kids was a hassle.

We had to leave the bathroom door open to get in it with the slide out in. One trip, the door fell off. Using the dinette to have a quick meal... not an option. When heading out of town late at night for the weekend, pulling off to boondock for the night was only possible after being level, dropping stabilizer jacks, and putting out the slide.

When RV traveling the whole trip is an experience, and having a trailer is supposed to make the journey better. I don't think many of the SOBs, at least the super large ones with the biggest of slide outs, take the whole trip into account.
I have to agree, although we pull 30' it has proven to be remarkably nimble in comparison to SOB. I rarely worry about leveling and have yet to leave a site because I couldn't maneuver it place.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Been there, done that, too.
Never going back again-

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #75
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Petaluma , California
I was never interested in buying a trailer or an RV. I wanted to buy an Airstream. I made few trips to the Airstream dealer, and about a year later I bought a 27' 2015 International Signature RB. I never went to a different dealer or looked at anything else online.

It's not perfect, but I still wouldn't consider anything else. My main gripe is the uncomfortable dinette when using as a couch or when eating.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
On reflection it has to have been a fascination with Airstream from my early, early years. And then there was my owning several RV's/trailers in Europe where models and system components were generally basic and similar across "brands." Germany has some truly startling products but weight restrictions in Luxembourg and France didn't permit ownership. Several years ago we decided to purchase an Airstream because we could afford to buy with cash and were not worried much about usage. Why Airstream? Because I like the aluminum shell; the reputation for quality and the image of the unit parked in campgrounds. I admit the image outweighed alternative choices. If you can afford an Airstream, get one. The experience will be grand in all cases just not likely any more grand than a less expensive alternatives. Adam and Ros Geuss
Old 08-06-2016, 10:01 PM   #77
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Long, Long road

It's been a long, long road, 25+ years ago my wife and I thought we were ready to buy a "travel trailer." My wife said, "no, an Airstream, not a travel trailer." Being a junior Navy Enlisted man at the time, I knew an Airstream would challenge us financially. Then we found out she was pregnant with our son and the Airstream purchase got moved to the back burner as other more important things took it's place. Several years went by, we kept enjoying tent camping, but that Airstream was always on our minds and in our conversations. I was fortunate enough to be selected for Officer Candidate School and commissioned in the Navy. The Airstream conversation began occurring more frequently. Then we found out we were pregnant with our daughter. The Airstream moved to the back burner again and we bought a really expensive tent since there was no way my wife would agree to anything other than an Airstream. Or a really expensive tent. I retired from the Navy last year as a full Commander, E-1 to O-5 in 28 years. But I continued to work in a related field, a couple hundred miles from home, living in a small apartment during the week and driving home on the weekends. With the kids taking care of college themselves, my wife an I dusted off that Airstream discussion. Again. However, the immediate goal was to either find a job closer to home, or sell our house and buy one closer to my job. Housing costs are through the roof and there is no way I felt comfortable being owned by a house. My wife told me during one or our nightly phone calls that we might have to put off the Airstream another year or two until things stabilized. I said something to the effect of, "We've been putting this off for 25 years! I'm tired of putting this off, we could've bought three less expensive travel trailers, used them up and thrown them away in the amount of time we've been waiting to buy your precious Airstream." Not a pleasant discussion to have on the phone. The next day, no kidding, the very next day, my wife calls me at my office and tells me she found an Airstream she likes. As I had 4-5 other people in the office at the time, I said, "Great, I'll call you later to talk about it." And that was it. Only when I called her later that evening to ask her about this Airstream she found, she told me, "No, I bought it." It took a second to sink in and I said, "You said you FOUND one." She said, "No, I said I BOUGHT it. You're not wearing your hearing aids, are you?" And that is exactly how it happened, 25 years and 24 hours.

Here's the rest of the story. About five months ago we did the "find which Airstream suits you" quiz on the AS website independent of each other as to not corrupt the data. We both came up with the 30' Classic. But after looking at the Classics, we felt the Internationals more suited us, specifically, the Serenity. Fast forward a few months to our phone conversation, she called the dealer the next day and ordered a 2017 30' International Serenity. We took delivery last Saturday, 30 June. And I couldn't be happier.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Bern - Thun , Berner Oberland
A fascinating story - but now enjoys the Airstream!
Greetings from Switzerland - Werner
Old 08-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 19' International
Santa Margarita , California
Great Stories!

Hey, everyone... these are great stories!! It seems that Airstreams are either a great investment or they are just in your blood... or both!

Keep 'em coming... I love reading these :-)
Old 08-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #80
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Would also love to hear more about how these stories are helping you be a wiser and more informed sales person who is better serving your (potential) customers. Maybe that's a different thread, or maybe it doesn't belong here, but inquiring minds and all that. Hope the new gig is going well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenbelle View Post
Hey, everyone... these are great stories!! It seems that Airstreams are either a great investment or they are just in your blood... or both!

Keep 'em coming... I love reading these :-)

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 19' International
Santa Margarita , California
Using this info

I actually start the job tomorrow. My first week will be spent at the Airstream factory, seeing how they put them together and learning about a new Airstream that is being announced. I'll report back (hopefully with photos) when I get home.

I am learning a lot from these comments... about what is important to people who end up buying AS and what people use them for. I've always felt that the best salespeople are well informed, and that is my purpose in gathering these stories.

Also, I will probably be taking over a blog and other social media platforms... I may in time reach out to some of you to tell your story in more detail if you are interested. But that's in the future. Right now, I'm just learning and I really do appreciate everyone's willingness to share. Thank you!!
Old 08-08-2016, 02:49 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I couldn't imagine owning any other brand or camping in anything else.
If it ain't silver, I ain't gonna camp in it.
I am the same way about other things.
If it ain't a Toyota, I ain't gonna ride in it.
If it ain't an iPhone, I ain't gonna talk on it.
Just look at it in a campground next to another brand.
No other brand brings a smile to my face- unless it is a vintage Scotty, Shasta, or VW bus.
I guess it is the retro, art deco, old school cool styling, perceived quality, and iconic shape/style.
Airstream trailers tow really nice, too.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:27 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I hope that I will no longer be taking commercial flights or staying in hotels.
If I can't take my trailer I ain't goin'.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955