Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
New Port Richey , Florida
Why choose the front bedroom model?

I think I must be missing something. I prefer the back BR layout because of the separate couch away from the kitchen dinette, but most bloggers here have the FB. What am I missing?
Beth
LizAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Here's why people like it: When you're sitting at your table, you're looking out the back window, which can be parked closest to a coastline or forest or other picturesque scene - versus your, say, tow vehicle (or in our case, with the dinette in the middle, whatever is next to the camper).

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
It's simply a matter of preference. If someone gave me front bed trailer I would sell it and buy a rear bed. My reality is, I might get 1 good view out the back for every five views of the back of someones else's trailer. I like to be able to see the road in front of the trailer and see our truck. The closest I can ever remember to what would have been a good view in back of the trailer, was some cows in field. With a rear bed trailer, you know you are not likely to have another trailer 10 feet or less from you living area. That's a distinct possiblity in a front bed floor plan.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
It depends a bit on where you like to camp. If you tend to go to wild places where you back into a camping space, the view out your back window is likely to be more scenic than the front.

However, as someone else pointed out, when the bed is in the front, the door is closer to the back. So if you're in a tight camping spot where you've had to hang the rear end off the edge of the parking pad, the door might also be hanging over a slope.

Ours is set up so that we sleep in the front, enter right by the bed, have a dinette in the middle and the best views are often out the bathroom window in the back. We spend most of our time outside under the awning anyway, so it works out well for us.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Like everyone has said, it all depends on where you do most of your camping So far, for us, most of our camping has been in state parks down here in the southeast. I would say about 80% of these parks you are backing into a spot that has NO view out the back at all. We also like watching what is going on as new campers come in So the back sleeping area has been best for us.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Most of the popular Airstream bloggers that I read (MaliMish, J5MM, Weaselmouth) have a front bedroom model because that floorplan has been on sale for multiple years and there are lots of them out there.

Once the 25FB and 27FB were introduced, they handily outsold other models. They're smaller than the 30' trailers, have a dedicated enclosed bedroom that the (no longer sold) 25SS lacked, and have dual panoramic windows that the 28' lacks. Other floorplans lack having both a couch and a dinette.

But I agree - if I was buying a new 25' trailer, I'd have a hard time choosing between a front bed or a rear bed. Would probably get the front bed, if only to get the second window next to the dinette.

I've been in enough varied campgrounds to say that the bed location isn't reliably better at one end or another. Sometimes it all depends where the noisy neighbor, or the smoky campfire, is...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I like the fact that the entrance door is hinged towards the front of the trailer on an FB rig. The door can't pop open in the wind and be damaged while traveling down the road.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
We have only spent a total of a month in our 27FB, but we really appreciate the layout. In some campgrounds, we have the best view while awake. We look for places to back in. The few times we haven't had a good view from the back because of trees or bushes, we still enjoy the privacy of being able to sit away from the the busy road with all the curtains open. The entire trailer is a buffer zone between us and the campground's general activity. In pull throughs, it doesn't matter.

And as for the front bedroom, I like knowing that any little fingers making jingling noises around the tow truck, the hitch, or the storage area are right next to my head. I don't even have to get out of bed to check the truck, or to check to see what's going on. I can put a laser dot on something without putting my pants on first....

We like the door being further from the street, too. Slightly more privacy, as the angle makes it more difficult to look into the trailer from the street.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have often thought that I would like the front bedroom model for many of the reasons stated:
- dinette with a probably a better view
- bed closer to the front of the trailer - security of the tow vehicle
- the layout seemed to make sense

Then I was able to spend some time in a FB model. I came to the conclusion that I did not like it because:
- felt cramped, dark and tunnel like (I guess all Airstreams are tunnel-like in reality)
- some models have a single bowl sink
- the seating was not comfortable - no good place to lounge if the weather was poor
Overall, it just didn't feel right. We are very happy with our rear bedroom model. We had a 29' and now have a 30 Classic.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Ditto what Gringo said. We've found most times we're able to get a nice view out the window or more privacy. I do try and do research on spots before we reserve or do a tour of the campground to look at empty spots before we go check in. If you're going to be working from your trailer and sitting at the dinette, this might be something to consider. The negative - we never use the couch area now that are kids are gone and no longer use it as a bed. We've had 2 34's in the past with the separate couch - and I found these to be a little more comfortable than the couch area in ours We're considering removing the cushion and having a cabinet built for that area just because we don't use it.
If we had to do it again though, we'd get another FB.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We were pleased when Airstream returned to a rear bedroom 25' model in 2012, it felt right and we bought it. Never another RV backed up against our dinette window, we can see what's going on in camp, door near the truck, much larger bathroom, both conv/microwave ovens, privacy in bedroom, converter not located under the bed.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #12
one of those

2011 27 FB International
?? our 27FB has both conv and microwave, the converter is no where near the bedroom, and with the two sliders closed there is a massive bathroom with the shower, hallway, and bathroom all connected into one big space. Someone can shower, use the bathroom mirror, and walk into the bedroom to dress while people are in the dinette area. We pick campsites where it's impossible for someone to back up to the dinette. you literally cannot do that if the dinette is in front.

We've been thinking of changing the dinette area to two recliners, though. Just because there's never more than the two of us inside the trailer. Got company? That's what the awning's for.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
?? our 27FB has both conv and microwave, the converter is no where near the bedroom, and with the two sliders closed there is a massive bathroom with the shower, hallway, and bathroom all connected into one big space. Someone can shower, use the bathroom mirror, and walk into the bedroom to dress while people are in the dinette area. We pick campsites where it's impossible for someone to back up to the dinette. you literally cannot do that if the dinette is in front.

We've been thinking of changing the dinette area to two recliners, though. Just because there's never more than the two of us inside the trailer. Got company? That's what the awning's for.
I am having a bit of trouble with the highlighted statement. If someone was able to back up to the front of our trailer. we couldn't move our trailer, or hook up our TV until they were gone. What did you really mean?

When we (with our rear bed floor plan park in a back in or pull thru space. There is at least 25 feet plus the width of the road in front of us before there is any chance of another trailer in front of us.

I believe as you spend more time camping in your trailer, you will find there will often be times when its back end to back end camping or keep moving on down the road to find another place. The only way to be ensured of having no one close behind you is to look for pull thru sites.

Ken
Old 10-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I think this was the topic of a recent thread. Do a search and see if you can find it.

Why an FB? Someone earlier mentioned that it is a personal preference and I concur. Arguments about the round sink, the big bathroom, the microwave all beg the big question and that is why do some prefer the front bedroom over the back bedroom. For me it comes down to choosing to look at the back of my truck or the scenery. I have been camping for over 25 years and the state and national parks I frequent usually provide a better view out of the back of the campsite than the road in. Yes, there are some where the backs get a bit crowded but I still find the when I look out the front that it is almost always a view of my truck and the road I drove in on.

For me, I like the FB. I have a 25FB and we like the seating and the dining table in a place we can sit and watch nature out the back. The converter under the bed is an issue with the 25FB it has nothing to do with where the bed is. If this was a big issue for me I would look at a 27FB or simply move the thing some place else. It isn't, so I don't worry about it. Park and look at the back of your truck or park and look out the back. It is up to you.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Just out of curiosity, What to you FB owners do when you end up rear to rear with one of those 5th wheels with the large picture windows in their butt?

Do you:

1. Go and meet them, so you know who you will be dining with?
2. pretend they're not there?
3. Close your curtains?
4. Buy Muppet puppets and entertain them?
5. something else?

Ken
Old 10-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Quote:

I'm on the same page, we love our 27FB to be honest we did not really sit and analyze all the options when shopping. We just looked at various models at two different dealers and when we saw the 27FB International it clicked. For us it was more of the design of the Signature model that did it. I personally had a strong negative reaction to the interior of the Classic.

Our one big change is the same, we're thinking about ditching the dinette and replacing it with two recliners and possibly changing the bed side tables to more vertical storage as we seem to spend about half the year in the A/S.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #17
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post

1. Go and meet them, so you know who you will be dining with?
2. pretend they're not there?
3. Close your curtains?
4. Buy Muppet puppets and entertain them?
5. something else?

Ken
5. Open up the back hatch (EB) and ask your neighbors to pass the potatoes & BBQ
Old 10-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
5. Open up the back hatch (EB) and ask your neighbors to pass the potatoes & BBQ
I'm guessing nobody will have a better answer than that.

Ken
Old 10-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #19
one of those

2011 27 FB International
That scenario just hasn't happened to us. Every place we've stayed, the big rigs were in pull thrus in the middle of the campground, and we got a back-in site on the perimeter.

think of it this way. Our FB and a rear bedroom pull into a completely empty campground. We choose a back in site, open our curtains, and look out at nature.
Or, as happened to us in Taos, we back up to a fence. We still open the curtains, and have a lot of privacy. Not so great a view, except over the top of the fence. Nice mountains.

The rear bedroom/front dinette trailer is going to have a view of the roads no matter what site they pick. Forever. Every campground they go to. They will always be sitting in their dinette looking at the back of their truck. Whether there are other campers there or not. There are no options.

Different strokes for different folks.

We looked at a lot of AS when we were buying. Biggers ones, smaller ones, but the International CCD 27FB was far and away our first choice.

We're glad other people like their read bedroom airstreams. If we ever DO find ourselves backed up to another trailer facing the other way, we hope they are in the other spot...
Old 10-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
.................The rear bedroom/front dinette trailer is going to have a view of the roads no matter what site they pick. Forever. Every campground they go to. They will always be sitting in their dinette looking at the back of their truck. Whether there are other campers there or not. There are no options.....

As these discussions always show, it is very much personnel preference but the above can't be denied.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote