Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
People were actually getting mad at those who contradicted their preference?

To tell you the truth, I never thought about the BR location much. It was just there.

But now that I have experienced it, I like the smoked FB windows too. Means I can get dressed or take a nap during the day w/o closing the curtains. There is something almost sinister about being able to see them, but they cannot see me.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:12 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Like us, everyone adores what they have. You'll never get an objective answer here.
and so it is, the topic is a subjective one but we all have asked the question why we like what we have at least. (SMILE)
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We have only camped 1 weekend in our 30' Classic. We were in a pull-through. I noticed as I was sitting on the couch that I could see the scenery, other trailers, people walking, etc. through all 4 sides of our trailer at the same time.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
We considered both the 28' rear bedroom and 27 front bedroom when we were looking. We found an attractive deal on a three year old lightly used 27FB so we bought it first. Had the same deal been on a 28' we'd likely have bought it. Both plans have their pluses and minuses.

We like the dinette being at the rear on the 27FB for the views out the panoramic window as we normally back into a site. Having the bedroom at the front has been good when overnighting in parking lots so we can hear anyone messing with the truck (hasn't happened though). The 27FB has more foot room in the shower than the 28. The entrance door on the 27 flips back against stationary glass on the outside while on the 28' the door swings back against a window which if open can break. Our 27's is one of the very few that does not have a panoramic window in the bedroom so it has closets on the sides of the beds, instead of tables which we like. Essentially our bedroom looks like the 28 rear bedroom which we like.

When considering the rear bedroom 28' we definitely liked the front couch which to us looked more comfortable for lounging and TV viewing than the 27's dinette. We also thought having the separate dinette in the 28' across from the kitchen would provide additional and convenient food prep space when cooking. The new rear bedroom 25' is attractive to us in that it has the separate microwave above the refrigerator in addition to the gas stove.

Negatives on the 27 front bedroom plan are as follows. The dinette is uncomfortable for extended television watching or lounging at night. We intend to replace the cushions with higher quality foam but even with the change the side of the dinette next to the window does not allow for stretching out and the seat on that side is very tight against the table. The concept of replacing the recliner and side couch with two recliners and a folding table has considerable merit from a comfort perspective, except for the loss of storage space. Another downside to the 27 is the location of the entrance door at the rear on sites that quickly slope down at the rear. Hanging the back of the trailer off the back of a short sloping site isn't practical when the point of entrance can't be reached. The biggest annoyance in my opinion is the door to the exterior storage compartment being located behind the LP tanks. it is a pain to have to maneuver items between the tanks and the trailer to put them in and take them out of the compartment. To me the rear exterior storage compartment of the rear bedroom models looks like a luxury from an access perspective but not as convenient during the hitching process.

In the end we enjoy our 27FB and I'm sure if we had purchased the 28 with rear bedroom we'd be happy as well. None of the drawbacks of the front bedroom plan are significant enough to us to make a change nor or any of the plusses of the rear bedroom model. Now, if Airstream put a larger grey water and fresh water tanks in one of the models we'd definitely consider a change!
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Our previous other brand trailer had a front bedroom. We enjoyed that layout for the many windows and walk through bath. The back of the trailer was usually backed up to a lake and a sunrise. The new Airstream is basically the same floorplan in reverse with a walk through bath- the reason a chose this floorplan. I still have an all around view.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
We considered both the 28' rear bedroom and 27 front bedroom when we were looking. We found an attractive deal on a three year old lightly used 27FB so we bought it first.
And so it is with models and preferences. The deal, the options, the money all are factors in the end most times. And, preferences change. I never planned owning one with lined walls and vinyl ceiling - I had never seen one like it. Then, when looking at the used one (mine now) the salesman introduced me to a 2012 classic with the same setup. I like the classics and just about all of the interiors except for dark ones.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #47
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Strikes me that if Airstream wasn't selling one version or the other in sufficient numbers to keep it propfitable, they would discontinue it.

They haven't so far, as far as I can tell
Old 10-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Suicide Doors

On my SOB, when I opened the door I had to deal with two issues, neither of them I liked very much. The door holder was one of those T shaped deals that I had to force into the back of the door. The second issue was much tougher. When the awning was extended the door would not open all the way and I found myself using a bungee cord to hold it in place.

On my 25FB I can open the door and the door latch works easily and flawlessly. Now, on the earlier models of the 25FB the door was reversed and the awning bracket was in the way when the door was open. Now that I think of it, what held the door open when the awning was up?

I am pretty happy with our set up. I really like the double sinks that were discontinued in later models and the right hinged door works great.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Good read ... - no choice for us in a 20' ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #50

Currently Looking...
New Port Richey , Florida
I want to thank everyone for your advice and sharing your experiences and opinions. It has been informative and entertaining! Lots of things a newbie would not think of.
LizAnn is offline   Reply With Quote