Old 05-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Why settle for one get both. Double your pleasure.
Been there, done that. The motorhome sat, the trailer

idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I've often thought I would like a class A motorhome with its luxury and convenience, but every time I start thinking more seriously about it - I conclude it doesn't really make sense for us.

We mainly use the Airstream for a winter trip, usually only 6-8 weeks, then perhaps a week or so during the summer. Otherwise we do a little motorcycle touring during summer.

As well, we cannot store the trailer at our suburban house and have it at a storage yard about a half hour drive away.

So for that fairly limited use, it just doesn't seem to make sense to tie up all that capital in a motorhome.

Other things that cause me to decide against it are:

- I would have to drive out and start it up and probably drive it around every few weeks just to keep everything in good working order.

- With the various niggling things that go wrong with our trailer I can only guess it would be much worse with a large airstream with its own power train, multiple slides, hydraulic leveling jacks, gennie system, electric steps, etc. etc.

- insurance / fuel / tires and other maintenance.

- If we bought new, then no doubt we'd take a huge hit on depreciation - although I guess realistically if we ever did get serious about buying one I would probably look for a gently used one a couple of years old where the first owner had taken the biggest hit.

I'd still love to have one, but the aforementioned are the main reasons I never have taken the plunge and most likely never will!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
I see this as an advantage, as it means you can pull off to the side of the road, have a relaxing lunch, rest up from driving and enjoy the view!
I concur...

Originally Posted by Ntex View Post
And although our truck isnt the best daily commute vehicle, we use it as our second car which means we dont have a huge investment in a diesel engine that just sits most of the time.
It your trailer is small/light enough you don't need a big ol' diesel truck. I tow my 22' Safari with a 2007 VW Touareg V8 4-WD which isn't a bad all round car either - we live in the mountains, so I need a 4-WD "something substantial" anyways as my daily driver.

Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
If your motor home suffers a catastrophic failure, you're stuck with it for the duration.
Also, if you're on a trip and your MoHo (or tow vehicle) has to go to the shop for repairs, you can "stay camping" with a trailer where you will probably want to get a hotel room with a MoHo. Also, when being worked on - what so you do with all your "stuff" - food, valuables, things you packed for a trip - not a trip to the mechanic.
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Something is always wrong with either the drive or the living system. As they get really old (20+ years) technology changes and parts for the drive systems become hard to find, and it becomes increasingly difficult to find anyone who knows how things used to work (example, carbs vs. fuel injection). With a tow vehicle you can trade it in, get new technology every 10 years or so, and keep your old living quarters. Not so with a motorhome, you are stuck with old technology forever. Living quarters have not changed all that much in even 40 years, but engines and running gear have.
Very good point...I love my "living quarters" (which are older than I am) and am on my 4th TV in 12 years.

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
....and then there's the MoHo/Toad drama. Saw this four nights ago in a campground. BigRig approaches his pull-thru space. Whoops! Too long to make the corner. Shut down the MoHo. Captain and DW exit. Back to the Toad. Unlock, decable, unhook Toad. DW gets in car, backs it out. Captain back in the Moho to back and forward until he gets MoHo parked. DW arrives and parks Toad. Me? Pull A/S into space. Chock wheels. Hook up electric, water, cable TV. Gin and Tonic. (Oh, I wasn't there to watch MoHo/Toad and the departure....but I was smiling as I unhooked, pulled the chocks and drove out.
"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #19
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Motorhomes are great for a group of people. Not a couple. That fairly well sums up any advantage (past onboard electrical generators). The disadvantages are serious, and already outlined above. Think of them as powerboats.

A TT [travel trailer] of this design is pretty well a permanent acquistion. In that it is the single peer to a sailboat. My folks had theirs twenty-seven years, and I am third generation.

And as TV [tow vehicle] the Euro turbodiesel SUVs are state-of-the-art for road performance. You may run into weight restrictions per the TV axle ratings for your proposed size, but a consultation with Andrew Thomson (Andrew_T to read his posts & threads) of CAN AM RV in London, ON is your best bet in ascertaining the best TV for your purposes.

In other words, consult with someone who has hitched more than 10,000 combinations and takes delight in this process. And who is also an AIRSTREAM dealer as well as conversant with all aspects of your questions.

This question has been asked before, so keep reading here at AIR. And, welcome!

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
My '74 Argosy has been maintained and upgraded over the years, but it is still the same in most ways that it was. Kitchen, bathroom, sleeping space and living space. Water heater, refrigerator, sinks, toilets AC units, furnaces all are the same now as then, even in upgraded form.

My first tow vehicle was a '78 Jeep Cherokee. By today's standards a crude and unreliable vehicle, and long gone, and not lamented. My current tow vehicle is a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, a wonderful rig in all ways in comparison to that '79 Jeep. But in another even 10 years I bet the 2022 Jeeps will outclass my 2012 in many ways, in 20 or 30 years the 2012 will be a real antique. But my '74 Argosy will still be very much useful, with the same bathroom, kitchen, sleeping and living quarters. Yep, it will need a new furnace and AC units, new toilet and refrigerator, but it won't be stupidly out of date, even in 2030. But a '74 Argosy motorhome..... only useful then as a museum piece.

Now, by 2030 I will be long gone, but that is another story. Hope someone is still enjoying my 74 Argosy then. Or my 2014 Airstream which is on order now. But I would not like to own my ex '83 310 motorhome even now, and by 2030.... well, I beat that point to death I guess.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with the above statements by idroba and the statements just made by slowmover.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
Cerritos , California
We've got a 1958 flying cloud. I see this AS lasting another 55 years.
68Streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
[QUOTE=Heinzi;1294953]Dear Airstreamers;
We are about to take the leap from a Sailing Yacht to a Land Yacht!
For the past 20+ years we sailed the World (6 months on, 6 months off cycle) We seen most continents from sea side; now we wish to see, experience cruising from the inside the land.]]

Welcome to land side. If you've been sailing round the world with the bitty auxiiiliary engine in a sail boat that you probably never used in harbor or even docking in a slip, (betcha), you won't care for feeding a large motorhome engine. Period.
I admit to being powerless over housecleaning and social niceities
Airforums 22655 and now, WBCCI 22655

NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #23

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Back in the day.....

.....when we got our 63 Safari we were only looking to upgrade from tenting.
At the time I only knew Airstream's as trailers. When seeing the ad in the newspaper, it was over for us. Bought the first Airstream we saw and haven't looked back since.

It was a no-brainer when it came time to consider a replacement.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #24
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Depends on if you want the Classic Airstream look.
IMHO , only the 80's and 90's Classic Motorhomes are "Classic Airstream" and those rigs look beautiful, but you better know your mechanics and carry all the tools and replacement parts at all times or every trip will be a nightmare for you and your family.
After 13 years of Classic Airstream Motorhome ownership and many miles, I finally switched to a Trailer for these reasons:
To have the latest technology, driving comfort and safety, acceptable fuel mileage and dependability
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	345-front.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	863.2 KB
ID:	185251   Click image for larger version

Name:	1993curbside.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	185252  

1983 310 Classic Motorhome
1997 30' Excella Trailer
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Libertyville , Illinois
I too like my TT for the many reasons previously stated. However, the thing I miss most is being able to get up early and put some miles down while my family is still sleeping.
Short563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #26
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Originally Posted by Short563 View Post
I too like my TT for the many reasons previously stated. However, the thing I miss most is being able to get up early and put some miles down while my family is still sleeping.
You still could.

doug k
dkottum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #27
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
For me it is both financial and nostalgia. Many people already have a tow vehicle before the purchase of a trailer. Trailers are less expensive than motorhomes. Nostalgia is another factor. Nothing is more beautiful than a shiny silver trailer. The fact that roughly 80% of all Airstreams ever manufactured are still on the road after more than 80 years of production had some sway on the decision as well.
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #28
1998 25' Excella
Bastrop , Texas

We also gave 20 plus years of sailing and are now land cruising in 1978 Excella. Looking forward to meeting other "Air Streamers" in Texas.

Texastravels is offline   Reply With Quote