Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We started with a 25', then a 28' motor home, and now a 30'. My favorite is the 30' After removing the gaucho and replacing it with two leather recliners it is the best for long term living. We used to be campground hosts and would live the the trailer for months at a time. The 30' also give you a private bedroom with a walk around queen, and bath area. Often my wife goes to bed earlier than me so this is important. I can stay up and read or watch TV without bothering her. We have towed the 30' from coast to coast and only stay at National or State parks. It is easy to place in any spot we are given. Saying all this about our beloved trailer it is for sale, sadly health reasons have forced us to sell. So if you are looking for a really comfortable road worthy 30' trailer let me know.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRoberts View Post
I hope the OP doesn't mind this follow-up question, but the length behind the rear axles has been mentioned at least 3 times now as a problem to consider. Does anyone know where to find the overhang lengths for the various Airstreams?

I haven't found this distance mentioned anywhere, but it appears that the 30 has a longer overhang than other models - is that true?

The 27' / 28' models, as compared to their 25' equivalents, appear to have most of their extra length in front of the axles rather than behind them. Do they have the same overhang length?

And one last question, for Steve (since I follow your "The More We Explore" vlog on Youtube, as anyone who is interested in Airstreams should)... you sound happy with your 30, but you've said on your vlog that you're planning on downsizing. Is this simply because you expect the sites back east to be a lot smaller, or do you think it will make a difference in the western half of the country too?
I don't know if the length from the rear tire to the rear of the trailer is an actual recorded specification, but it seems like 10' of trailer behind the tires on my 30'. If I think about it I will measure it when I get home.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
We have a 1969 23' Safari. We used this trailer to travel for up to four continuous weeks with a family of six during the 70's. We had our good days and our challenging days but the memories that have lived on are all good. Today my wife and I are typically the only occupants along with the occasional dog. The trailer works great for how we use it now - long weekends, up to 5 nights out within a 3-4 hour drive distance. If we were to shift lifestyle in the next few years to emphasize more time out and longer trips then we would need to trade trailers to have a dedicated bed and more room for being inside. The length is only one part of the equation - we know people that have full timed in a Bambi sized trailer and people that have purchased 30' Classic models and have only used it once or twice in a year. I will say for a fact that I have yet to talk to an airstream owner and have them say they wished they bought a smaller trailer ...
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Interesting thread. I think we'd like to pick up a additional 16' Bambi for fun. My parents dragged us kids through Canada in 16 foot Shasta back in the 70's. Gosh it was fun and there was four of us and small dog, LOL
If my parents would have had this 28' that I own now, in 1974, they would have thought they had hit the Powerball Lotto !
These guys with the Jeeps have push me over the edge at looking for a 16' AS. I already have the Yeti cooler
Nah, I am not turning loose of the 28',,,,,,,,,
or the 'Ram' !

Safe Travels !
Old 10-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #25
explorer

Currently Looking...
On the Road Full Time , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRoberts View Post
And one last question, for Steve (since I follow your "The More We Explore" vlog on Youtube, as anyone who is interested in Airstreams should)... you sound happy with your 30, but you've said on your vlog that you're planning on downsizing. Is this simply because you expect the sites back east to be a lot smaller, or do you think it will make a difference in the western half of the country too?
Thanks, happy to answer. We are considering switching up our tow vehicle to a new Ford Transit van. The transits in the trim we want can only tow 6800 lbs, which would require us to downsize to a 25 footer. We love everything about our current trailer. We don't feel like a 25 footer would be much easier to tow than the 30, but it will be lighter, which will fall within the safe towing weight for the Ford Transit Van we're considering. It's a big sacrifice, but we feel like we could make a 25 footer work. That being said, we'll only be able to stay out boondocking half as long without taking trips to the dump station. Not ideal. I wish Airsream made a 25 footer with 50 gal tanks and good ground clearance, but that's a different topic for a different day.
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I know people who reminisce about lots of people in a small rig.
One such person seemed overjoyed when 3 of us spent the night in her Interstate a couple of months ago.
She is always telling a story of 10 people going to Disney World in a 1972 Dodge 18' motor home.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorpeak View Post
My wife and I are hoping to purchase our first AS, and we're interested in hearing from people who - if given the opportunity to do so (cost aside) - would purchase a SMALLER AS or a LARGER AS than they own. We are a very active couple, and are avid hikers, runners, and general "active outdoor" type people. We expect to use our AS to take us to state and national parks and travel the country for approximately 6+ months each year. We are *not* "bigger is better" people, and yet we DO love comfort. We are drawn to the 30 Classic for the lounge chairs and extra storage, but don't want to regret purchasing a larger camper by finding that we are severely restricted on where we can go.
We went from a 19 to a 23 and now a 25. The 19 was very National Park, State Park and fuel station friendly. The 23 was still good. The 25 takes a little more pre-planning and finger crossing. I can't imagine having anything larger than a 25 (actually 26 feet). A 30 would shut us out of a lot of the wild places that we love and might nudge us more towards RV parks.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #28
cvm
1 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
We have a 16' Bambi Sport and are satisfied. Easy to pull with the Tacoma. Easy to park anywhere. We don't let the weather dictate our behavior, so the cramped quarters have not been an issue. Tight sleeping for two in the bed, but we just use both beds. A bit of a hassle, but just another adaptation to AS camping. Easy to keep clean. Don't think we will ever get a larger AS, but never say never.
cvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
My guide is to buy the smallest trailer that will fit your needs. That was what I was looking for, and that's what I bought. It is a Safari 25 rear twin beds. It has a sofa (not a straight back bench), and both indoor and outdoor shower that was a requirement. It will fit almost all NP, SP, and COE campgrounds.

Unless we need heat or AC we are outside for sitting and eating. Many meals are prepared outside. We think we chose the right size.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
What a great question...and what great answers.

Indeed, as others have said you will be the only one who knows what is "comfortable" for you and your travel partner. So sit in a whole bunch of them at the dealership. Certainly the smaller the trailer the easier it is to deal with. Finding the balance of the right size for your needs is not easy as you can see from the variety of answers to your question.

During two seasons of "camping" with our 25' in many state parks and National parks in the northwest quadrant of the country I have certainly noticed that there are many campsites for trailers shorter than ours and sometimes very few for trailers longer than ours. For the first-come first-served National park campgrounds in summer season we definitely had to be there early in the morning to find a site that we liked that would accommodate our trailer. The longer the trailer the fewer the options in the older National park campgrounds, for sure.

Like many, I would like a 16' trailer to tow and one that magically expands to a 30' trailer when parked ! Know that whichever length you choose there are compromises.

Have fun. You're on a grand adventure!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have a 25' that we travel in and I have never wished it was smaller. (and seldom wished for bigger either). We pack all the sports stuff and heavy clothing in the bed of the truck. I would buy the 30' in a heartbeat if it was in the budget. I do not really see much of a downside to that size. The overhang is longer and you have to watch hitting the tail in some sites. Lots more room in the shower and closet.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
We went from a 19 to a 23 and now a 25. The 19 was very National Park, State Park and fuel station friendly. The 23 was still good. The 25 takes a little more pre-planning and finger crossing. I can't imagine having anything larger than a 25 (actually 26 feet). A 30 would shut us out of a lot of the wild places that we love and might nudge us more towards RV parks.

Expresses my thoughts exactly!
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Question Wanna trade a smaller trailer for our 34 Limited?

We have a great 1982 34-foot Limited that is a little too big for our site in Baja. I've even considered cutting it in half (my posts about that are on the forum). I'd be interested in trading it for a smaller trailer and I'd be able to tell you how small soon.

If anyone is interested, let me know here or PM me.
Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
After less than a year we traded our new 2012 38' International up to a 2013 30'. More room and a much better layout. In the three years we have been traveling with it we have never had a problem fitting in any National or State parks we visited. On a couple of occasions were we found it to tight to fit you couldn't make it work with a 25 or a 27 footer either.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Talent , Oregon
Bigger or Smaller . . .

As mentioned, it is personal. We remodeled a 27 foot '73 Overlander, and after a couple of fun years, our preference would be something "just" smaller. We have a rear bath and discovered we do not need a shower. So wishing for a rear queen bed and side bath with just a toilet and sink (and the sink is even optional as we use our main sink for most everything). Currently we sleep up front, modifying the area as needed (bed to table). We have a larger than usual cooking area which we love as we both cook . . . so plenty of space. I created another bed that pulls out back by the bath, opposite the galley. That is only used now when our grand-daughter visits. That's where I'd put the new smaller toilet room.

We definitely feel a little smaller would be great.
Della is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:28 PM   #36

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
I like the 30' , DW likes the 27'. Guess which one we have...

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
which ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
I like the 30' , DW likes the 27'. Guess which one we have...

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"

LOL

safe travels !
Old 10-07-2016, 03:59 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I wish I had a smaller trailer - but only if it had the same space inside as our Classic 30!

Seriously, there have been a couple of times when a smaller trailer would have been advantageous but we have been spoiled by the space that we enjoy, especially on longer
winter getaway trips.

A we get older, I have tried to convince my wife that there would be some benefits to
a B class camper, but whenever we have looked at them, she absolutely refuses to give up the space we have!

I'm sure it depends on the individual, I do think could go that way for some of the advantages!

But you know what they say, If Momma ain't happy ...... etc.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:31 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
I would have bought a smaller AS.
I really like the 2017 Land Yacht.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Floatingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:37 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clovis , California
Saying all this about our beloved trailer it is for sale, sadly health reasons have forced us to sell. So if you are looking for a really comfortable road worthy 30' trailer let me know.[/QUOTE]

Hey Chaplain Kent:

We are very sorry to hear of your health limitations. We are long time RVers thinking of downsizing from our Monaco Diesel Pusher back to a towable. I've been lurking around this site for a number of months gathering info as we search around for used 28 to 31' A/S with twin beds.

What year and model is your rig and where are you currently hanging your hat? We are in Clovis, CA and if you are out west we might be interested.

Bruce
fblahargoue @ gmail . com
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote