Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle

Old 10-07-2016, 09:36 AM   #15
explorer

2010 30' Flying Cloud
On the Road Full Time , Utah
We are outdoors enthusiasts too. We backpack, mountain bike, kayak, SUP, we do it all. We have a FC30. It's been amazing. We haven't had any problems getting our 30' to fit anywhere. To us, the biggest limitation with a 30' (or anything over 20) is the lack of ground clearance. We installed a 3" lift block from Dexter and it has made all the difference in the world. We wouldn't have made it into half our campsites without the lift. We boondock a lot, and we don't like to stay inside the national and state parks. Even so, we fit in 25' spaces ALL THE TIME. The best part about a 30 foot trailer is the huge holding tanks. If you're going to be full-timing, they make the difference between being able to stay out for 3 days before dumping, or 2 weeks before dumping. If you're a weekend warrior that won't be living in it long-term, you may find something like a 23 footer would be good enough.

I've never towed anything smaller than a 30 footer, but I have a hard time believing there's a huge difference between towing a 25 footer and a 30 footer.

If you're going to be spending a lot of time inside the trailer, go as big as you can. If you're just using it 2 or 3 days at a time, you could get away with something smaller. But I'll second the thought that on a rainy day, where you're cooped up inside, it's nice to have as much room as possible.

Follow our journey living and working from the road full-time: http://themoreweexplore.com
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
We went smaller then larger.

I started out with 30' & 31' trailers, four different Airstream trailers. If I could own only one, a 30' would be the size I would choose.

7 years ago I bought a 25' because I thought I did not want to tow a big trailer as I aged. The 25' is a good middle ground between large and small. We have lived in this trailer a little over 3 months away from home, but after a series of rainy days it is too small. Though, this trailer is the one we choose to use when we travel long distances. We towed this trailer across the US this summer.

3 years ago I bought a 34'. We have retired and are living in this trailer 4 to 5 months per year. We wanted more space. We are really happy our 34'. Towing the 34' is no more trouble than towing the 25'. It just takes more room to maneuver. If I would take this trailer into the mountains I would need a heavier tow vehicle. We towed this trailer about 1,200 miles this year.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #17
"Silver Shrek"

1999 25' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
Well, my wife and I aren't long term owners, but started out looking at SOB's, changed to airstream and finally bought a 27 FB with twin beds. Sometimes wish it was a queen, but the extra room is nice if it's windy and the dogs want to share.
We walked through 15 different models from 23 to 30' last week while out. Still feel like the 27FB is really an ideal size. Towable with an F-150 comfortably and fit into anyplace we wanted to be. If you get north in Michigan try the Platte River Campground in Sleeping Bear Dunes. Beautiful and great hiking.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have a 30' Classic.
I wish they still made a 34' Classic Slide-out.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #19
Mel

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
I traded a 23' Hi-lo for a 25' 'Cloud last year and after four or five trips in it, got really fed up with That 'East-West' bed, and not much storage.
So I took it back to CanAm and traded it for a 30' 'Cloud.
Good move. Comfortable, reasonable roomyness and a very comfortable bed.
Handling a 30'er is no problem for a Ford F-150, and I have never had a problem finding a spot due to length.
For us, it was a good move and we like it.
Even DW who's not an RV fan is happy with it.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
I personally love my 30... When it is off road and there are some serious dips and bumps it can bottom out the hitch or back of the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Backing becomes a chore with 30' and longer due to tail swing (distance from axle centerline to rear bumper).

Quote:
Originally Posted by explore more View Post
We haven't had any problems getting our 30' to fit anywhere. To us, the biggest limitation with a 30' (or anything over 20) is the lack of ground clearance.
I hope the OP doesn't mind this follow-up question, but the length behind the rear axles has been mentioned at least 3 times now as a problem to consider. Does anyone know where to find the overhang lengths for the various Airstreams?

I haven't found this distance mentioned anywhere, but it appears that the 30 has a longer overhang than other models - is that true?

The 27' / 28' models, as compared to their 25' equivalents, appear to have most of their extra length in front of the axles rather than behind them. Do they have the same overhang length?

And one last question, for Steve (since I follow your "The More We Explore" vlog on Youtube, as anyone who is interested in Airstreams should)... you sound happy with your 30, but you've said on your vlog that you're planning on downsizing. Is this simply because you expect the sites back east to be a lot smaller, or do you think it will make a difference in the western half of the country too?
Old 10-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We started with a 25', then a 28' motor home, and now a 30'. My favorite is the 30' After removing the gaucho and replacing it with two leather recliners it is the best for long term living. We used to be campground hosts and would live the the trailer for months at a time. The 30' also give you a private bedroom with a walk around queen, and bath area. Often my wife goes to bed earlier than me so this is important. I can stay up and read or watch TV without bothering her. We have towed the 30' from coast to coast and only stay at National or State parks. It is easy to place in any spot we are given. Saying all this about our beloved trailer it is for sale, sadly health reasons have forced us to sell. So if you are looking for a really comfortable road worthy 30' trailer let me know.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRoberts View Post
I hope the OP doesn't mind this follow-up question, but the length behind the rear axles has been mentioned at least 3 times now as a problem to consider. Does anyone know where to find the overhang lengths for the various Airstreams?

I haven't found this distance mentioned anywhere, but it appears that the 30 has a longer overhang than other models - is that true?

The 27' / 28' models, as compared to their 25' equivalents, appear to have most of their extra length in front of the axles rather than behind them. Do they have the same overhang length?

And one last question, for Steve (since I follow your "The More We Explore" vlog on Youtube, as anyone who is interested in Airstreams should)... you sound happy with your 30, but you've said on your vlog that you're planning on downsizing. Is this simply because you expect the sites back east to be a lot smaller, or do you think it will make a difference in the western half of the country too?
I don't know if the length from the rear tire to the rear of the trailer is an actual recorded specification, but it seems like 10' of trailer behind the tires on my 30'. If I think about it I will measure it when I get home.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-07-2016, 12:47 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
We have a 1969 23' Safari. We used this trailer to travel for up to four continuous weeks with a family of six during the 70's. We had our good days and our challenging days but the memories that have lived on are all good. Today my wife and I are typically the only occupants along with the occasional dog. The trailer works great for how we use it now - long weekends, up to 5 nights out within a 3-4 hour drive distance. If we were to shift lifestyle in the next few years to emphasize more time out and longer trips then we would need to trade trailers to have a dedicated bed and more room for being inside. The length is only one part of the equation - we know people that have full timed in a Bambi sized trailer and people that have purchased 30' Classic models and have only used it once or twice in a year. I will say for a fact that I have yet to talk to an airstream owner and have them say they wished they bought a smaller trailer ...
Old 10-07-2016, 01:02 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Interesting thread. I think we'd like to pick up a additional 16' Bambi for fun. My parents dragged us kids through Canada in 16 foot Shasta back in the 70's. Gosh it was fun and there was four of us and small dog, LOL
If my parents would have had this 28' that I own now, in 1974, they would have thought they had hit the Powerball Lotto !
These guys with the Jeeps have push me over the edge at looking for a 16' AS. I already have the Yeti cooler
Nah, I am not turning loose of the 28',,,,,,,,,
or the 'Ram' !

Safe Travels !
Old 10-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #25
explorer

2010 30' Flying Cloud
On the Road Full Time , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRoberts View Post
Thanks, happy to answer. We are considering switching up our tow vehicle to a new Ford Transit van. The transits in the trim we want can only tow 6800 lbs, which would require us to downsize to a 25 footer. We love everything about our current trailer. We don't feel like a 25 footer would be much easier to tow than the 30, but it will be lighter, which will fall within the safe towing weight for the Ford Transit Van we're considering. It's a big sacrifice, but we feel like we could make a 25 footer work. That being said, we'll only be able to stay out boondocking half as long without taking trips to the dump station. Not ideal. I wish Airsream made a 25 footer with 50 gal tanks and good ground clearance, but that's a different topic for a different day.

Follow our journey living and working from the road full-time: http://themoreweexplore.com
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I know people who reminisce about lots of people in a small rig.
One such person seemed overjoyed when 3 of us spent the night in her Interstate a couple of months ago.
She is always telling a story of 10 people going to Disney World in a 1972 Dodge 18' motor home.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorpeak View Post
My wife and I are hoping to purchase our first AS, and we're interested in hearing from people who - if given the opportunity to do so (cost aside) - would purchase a SMALLER AS or a LARGER AS than they own. We are a very active couple, and are avid hikers, runners, and general "active outdoor" type people. We expect to use our AS to take us to state and national parks and travel the country for approximately 6+ months each year. We are *not* "bigger is better" people, and yet we DO love comfort. We are drawn to the 30 Classic for the lounge chairs and extra storage, but don't want to regret purchasing a larger camper by finding that we are severely restricted on where we can go.
We went from a 19 to a 23 and now a 25. The 19 was very National Park, State Park and fuel station friendly. The 23 was still good. The 25 takes a little more pre-planning and finger crossing. I can't imagine having anything larger than a 25 (actually 26 feet). A 30 would shut us out of a lot of the wild places that we love and might nudge us more towards RV parks.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #28
cvm
1 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
We have a 16' Bambi Sport and are satisfied. Easy to pull with the Tacoma. Easy to park anywhere. We don't let the weather dictate our behavior, so the cramped quarters have not been an issue. Tight sleeping for two in the bed, but we just use both beds. A bit of a hassle, but just another adaptation to AS camping. Easy to keep clean. Don't think we will ever get a larger AS, but never say never.