Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Suggest the OP spend some more time in different models. Sit at the dinette area and pretend to see the television. Is it straight ahead or is your head at a 90 degree angle. Sit cross wise on the dinette seat. How many cushions are needed for back support if the knees are bent with feet on the floor? Sit on the toilet - is there adequate leg room?

With a cross frame bed model, try and reach the roof lockers over the bed without climbing on the bed. Sit up in bed without hitting your head if against the outside wall. The person on the outside wall has to crab walk down the bed for a night "P" run. Open the outside storage hatch and see if you can reach to the foot of the bed to get something out of the storage area.

There are just lots of trade offs between the models. If you are questioning your choice, cool your heels and do more research.

After the 25FB International Serenity queen bed experience, we ordered a 27FB twin Classic because we loved the Hickory wood interior. We came to the realization that the back 15' of both the 25FB and the 27FB are identical and we disliked the dinette area. We switched the order for the $3,012 difference between the 27FB and the 31' Classic with twin beds since production was still months away. We are completely happy with our decision.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:29 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
As switz suggests... spend a LOT of time in the different units. We spent several entire afternoons sitting in and envisioning how we would "live" inside various units. This is a decision NOT to be made hastily. Don't walk in and out of a few units, with casual glances at the interiors and make a decision.

Narrow down to one or two floorpans and then literally sit in them for a few hours; envision where all of your stuff will go; experience the feel of where you will sit for hours-on-end reading a book, surfing the web, or watching TV. Only then will you be able to make your own decision as to what will work for you. What works for someone else may very well not work well, at all, for you!

Don't feel rushed by sales people or the dealer. Tell them to go back to their office, that you need to experience being inside the unit for a few hours. You are running this decision, not the sales person. Bring a book or iPad along to surf the web while you sit on the bench sofa for an hour - deciding how well it serves you for comfort, and then sit at the dinette for an hour. You really need to experience the feel of being inside the coach for an extended period of time.... not just 10 or 15 minutes.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Rittman , Ohio
25 or nothin'

We encountered a similar dilemma. Our dealer advised us that the 25s offer the features of the larger units in a smaller package. He convinced us to go FB with twin beds (opens up the trailer to make it seem larger inside and gives you more maneuvering room in the bedroom, or extra bench seating), the full awning package (very nice in the sun), the inverter package and the microwave/convection oven (yes, it will blow the fuses if the air and electric water heater are running). When we picked it up, I wasn't sure it would fit down the road or into our driveway, but it was easier than I thought. We've used it in cold and warm weather. All-in-all, a great package.
Rabid54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
If you decide on a 25FC, not to give you more confusing options, but the 25 FB vs RB vs queen or twins has one of the most dramatic changes in layout, storage inside/outside, bathroom, couch, microwave/convection options etc. it is almost impossible to get the jest of these differences from the AS catalog or still photos.

Here is a link from Colonial comparing a Serenity FB vs RB. He does a pretty good job comparing. You can't get twins in a Serenity. You can YouTube his showing of a 25FC twin bed how outside storage options change with a twin configuration.

Also, if you get a rear bed configuration, not available on a front bed config. , there is another option that you can get from Airstream for $500. Again, they don't advertise it. I will send another reply with Picts showing it. It's pretty nice if you are looking for a ton more storage space in the kitchen.

http://youtu.be/rP1_RgI_NRE

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:32 PM   #45
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Go With What You Really Want

If money is not an issue, go with what you really want - the 25 or even a 27. There will be no appreciable difference pulling or maneuvering a 22 vs. a 25 vs. a 27.

If the price difference is what is holding you back, cancel your order for the 22 and buy a used 25 or 27 that is one or two years old and in good condition.

Getting what you really want will encourage you to stay with the RV thing once you get started.

As background, we started with a 27FB after first thinking we should try something smaller to get used to pulling a trailer. After our first day of pulling, we discovered that trailer length doesn't really matter. Our 27FB gives us all the space and features we need, we can do a U turn almost anywhere and we don't have any size issues that limit our choice of campgrounds.

Good luck!
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post

Also, if you get a rear bed configuration, not available on a front bed config. , there is another option that you can get from Airstream for $500. Again, they don't advertise it. I will send another reply with Picts showing it. It's pretty nice if you are looking for a ton more storage space in the kitchen.
This option is ONLY available on the 25 REAR bed configuration(s). This is due to the refrigerator, on the front bed configuration, sits on top of the wheel well. On the rear bed configuration the frig sits on the floor allowing a microwave as an option to be located on top of the frig. Here is the $500 option to use this microwave space in another way giving you probably one of the largest kitchen cabinet options available in an airstream.

This picture is a standard microwave configuration on a 25FC RB:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1881.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	248155

This picture the microwave has been removed and matching cabinet doors have been installed. Also available is a single flip up door:

Name:	IMG_2205.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	248157

This picture shows you the very large interior, to AS standards:-), gained storage area where the microwave was. To give you an idea of its size the pot inside is a 5 quart. There is also a 120v receptacle inside too! The inserted additional insulation inside I installed, that is why the skin looks a little funny.

Name:	IMG_2204.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	248156

This picture is where I had the oven removed and had a Convection/Microwave installed in its place. You could opt to just leave the oven if you wished and would probably be less than the $500 total I spent.

I spent a couple of months in my 2016 FC RB Twin this summer. Never once did I ever wish or think I needed more space. And with this $500 option I loved that I never had to figure out where all those pots, Pans, Tupperware and big bag/box stuff goes.

I probably have over whelmed with TMI, but better to have more info. than not enough. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2206.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	248158  

Old 09-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #47

2012 22' FB Sport
Burlington , Wisconsin
We have the 22 ft sport. Get the 23 flying cloud.or 25. Forget the sport. there is not enough storage.and the extra 8 inches is way worth it. We saw the 23 ft flying cloud after we had purchased our sport. My husband said he wished it was the 23 ft . If you can afford it...you won't be sorry.
mkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #48
shadedsilver

2014 27' FB International
Bisbee , Arizona
Buy the 25

We have a 27 International FB. We.considered smaller for our first RV too, but learned our lesson from sailboats...but the bigger one instead of upgrading. The 8.5 width is fine and a 25 will tow great. You will be happier with the extra room.
shadedsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:37 AM   #49
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post
Len N Jeanne,
How usable do you find the 48" width bed in the FC23 for two people? That would have been our first choice but for concern the bed is too narrow.

It's fine (in our 19-footer), and we are not tiny people girth-wise; but then we sleep on a standard size double bed at home. All of the shorter AS's seem to have a bed where the inside person has to crawl over the outside person to get out of bed in the middle of the night, but it's a work-around.

I think the 20' has more kitchen counter space with the kitchen in the back than we do w/ the 19' Bambi. Otherwise we have most of what we want. We boondock a lot, so having a lot of appliances just isn't on.

One thing we didn't like so well about the 22' Sport was that it just didn't seem as beautifully and solidly designed as the Flying Cloud, and the interior is noticeably narrower.

We really did consider a 23' AS due to the double axel, but decided that for our camping purposes, small is beautiful. I can see where even more space would be a lot easier to live in, but we didn't want to miss out on some of our favourite back-roads camping spots.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:04 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Buy the largest AS you feel comfortable towing and using. We purchased a 25' and kept it for one season of camping, then went to a 30', both Flying Clouds. Never looked back (except when towing and a big smile crosses my face) at switching. We love the 30'. So, if you option is to go up to a 25' and no longer, I suggest you do it. Easy to tow, easy to back and there are more sold than all other sizes combined, it's the most popular size, therefore, if you ever sell it the re-sale should be pretty good.

Enjoy
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful replies! This is a most exceptional forum, where more knowledgeable RVers are willing to help us newbies.

I heard what you said and understand the so very sound logic.

Today I called and canceled the Sport 22FB and ordered a Flying Cloud 25FB twin. You folks are great! Thank you again.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Glad to hear you made a decision, and it is a good one.

We have a beautiful 25' FB SE and love it. As I said earlier, we have had three other Airstreams. They all suited us, but this one really does as it is easier to park, tow and the panoramic windows are wonderful. So are the vista view windows. Lots of light into the rig. No problem w storage as we did several mods, though it was fine as original but more storage is always nice.

We all know you are excited now and we hope you will post pics when it arrives.

Make sure you get a quality hitch, very very important. Hensley and Propride are at the top. Either will keep you safe as you travel.
Safe Travels...
Old 09-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I agree the current 25 and 27 living area isn't the best for watching TV. Not too bad if you are in the street side of the dinette laying back against the back window with your legs stretch out to the side couch, not so much on the curb side. We are going to try this. Put the dinette table down and pull out the bed slide and pull out the side couch cushion. We'll sit next to each other and stretch our legs out onto the extended side couch.

Another issue is the speakers located on the opposing walls adjacent to the dinette. If you run the TV/DVD volume through the stereo system then you hear more out of one speaker. Would like to mount a sound bar over/under the TV but all seem to be too long

Kelvin
Old 09-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:

Today I called and canceled the Sport 22FB and ordered a Flying Cloud 25FB twin. You folks are great! Thank you again.
Bob, are you getting the gas oven or the microwave/convection oven. 25fb can't have both. 25RB you can. I used to think I would prefer the convection oven to a gas oven but once I started using my oven with a pizza stone on the burner tray it made the gas oven useful and enjoyable.

My 2008 25fb has a hang down microwave which doesn't seem to be made anymore therefore Airstream has gone the microwave/convection oven option route.

Kelvin
Old 09-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Bob, are you getting the gas oven or the microwave/convection oven. 25fb can't have both.

Kelvin
We opted for the convection microwave. Airstream says some aren't happy with the oven because it doesn't easily cook meats all the way through, and we like cooking out on a Weber anyway. Also, the oven is a major consumer of propane.

We opted for the FB because the lounge is 12" longer, thus better as a bed if we ever need it for that, and the FB has double windows over the lounge; while the RB has a single window. The RB has a bigger bathroom and, as you say, it can have a M/W and the oven, or a large cabinet over the refrigerator. The wife didn't like the idea of looking at the pick-up from the dinette, if a RB floor plan. Too many choices!

I sincerely appreciate the time all took to advise us on this important TT selection. You helped keep us from making an expensive mistake.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Good choice, the 25 is the smallest of the large Airstreams with all the amenities in a more compact, maneuverable space. And it's large enough to be adaptable to different configurations as your needs change. Twin or queen bed, dinette or recliner seating with a table between and/or to the side.

Either FB or RB works very well in this size, we can't see the pickup either because our front seating faces aft. Unless we swivel to see what's happening in the campground.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Bob, You will really be happy with the 25FB Twin FC!! The extra outside storage on the 25FB is fantastic. The Twin configuration makes the sleeping area far more functional than you can imagine. Our son has the same year 27FB Queen and after two years of use, we feel the 25FB Twin is far more functional. The only disappointment we had was not having a conventional oven(for dry camping) and having to deal with the convection microwave under the cooktop, rather than at eye-level above the pantry pullout. We found out that Airstream sold the cabinet parts to remove the microwave/convection and replace it with a conventional oven, which we purchased. However, after over 250 plus nights camping all over the USA, with and without hookups, we came to the conclusion that we will put off the conversion to conventional oven for a bit longer(but we have the parts just in case!)

I would suggest that you not order the Airtstream Factory Solar system. Our dealer installed a ZAMP Solar system, (with a supplemental solar portable solar panel in addition to those on the roof), and it works far better than the factory system our son has on his 27FB.

Make sure you order rear and street side awnings, you will not be sorry. The benefits far exceed the cost, but hard to explain until you spend a lot of time traveling.....

Have a great time.....

AL
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:54 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful replies! This is a most exceptional forum, where more knowledgeable RVers are willing to help us newbies.

I heard what you said and understand the so very sound logic.

This is fantastic and if you enjoy your 25 half as much as my 25FC RB twin then you will never second guess your decision. Congratulations!

If you are thinking of getting the factory solar option this is one option I would highly encourage you to pass on. You can get a SUPERIOR system for far less. Honestly it is not about the money AS charges it is that they are selling, a product that will not meet your needs or expectations, unfortunately. It is old technology with the exception of their batteries. There are a million testimonials, experts and real life experiences with solar on this forum. I have 200 watts and love it and will be expanding it next year. The AS 100w is good for keeping a full battery full and that's about it. The solar controller they use is a single stage and will ruin the Life Line batteries they install in short order.

Make sure you post pictures of your new baby when you take delivery.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
You will be very happy with your choice.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Paso Robles , California
go big!

hi. just wanted to share a mistake that we made. last october we purchased a 2015 25' flying cloud. we quickly regretted not going with our instinct of getting a 30'. so we've fixed our error and are waiting for a 30' international serenity.

it would have been great to make the correct purchase at the onset but thankfully the dealer has been very helpful in making this swap pretty painless.

best of luck with your decision.
Mrmill is offline   Reply With Quote