Old 09-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Bob, You will really be happy with the 25FB Twin FC!! The extra outside storage on the 25FB is fantastic. The Twin configuration makes the sleeping area far more functional than you can imagine. Our son has the same year 27FB Queen and after two years of use, we feel the 25FB Twin is far more functional. The only disappointment we had was not having a conventional oven(for dry camping) and having to deal with the convection microwave under the cooktop, rather than at eye-level above the pantry pullout. We found out that Airstream sold the cabinet parts to remove the microwave/convection and replace it with a conventional oven, which we purchased. However, after over 250 plus nights camping all over the USA, with and without hookups, we came to the conclusion that we will put off the conversion to conventional oven for a bit longer(but we have the parts just in case!)

I would suggest that you not order the Airtstream Factory Solar system. Our dealer installed a ZAMP Solar system, (with a supplemental solar portable solar panel in addition to those on the roof), and it works far better than the factory system our son has on his 27FB.

Make sure you order rear and street side awnings, you will not be sorry. The benefits far exceed the cost, but hard to explain until you spend a lot of time traveling.....

Have a great time.....

amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:54 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member
2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post
Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful replies! This is a most exceptional forum, where more knowledgeable RVers are willing to help us newbies.

I heard what you said and understand the so very sound logic.

Today I called and canceled the Sport 22FB and ordered a Flying Cloud 25FB twin. You folks are great! Thank you again.

This is fantastic and if you enjoy your 25 half as much as my 25FC RB twin then you will never second guess your decision. Congratulations!

If you are thinking of getting the factory solar option this is one option I would highly encourage you to pass on. You can get a SUPERIOR system for far less. Honestly it is not about the money AS charges it is that they are selling, a product that will not meet your needs or expectations, unfortunately. It is old technology with the exception of their batteries. There are a million testimonials, experts and real life experiences with solar on this forum. I have 200 watts and love it and will be expanding it next year. The AS 100w is good for keeping a full battery full and that's about it. The solar controller they use is a single stage and will ruin the Life Line batteries they install in short order.

Make sure you post pictures of your new baby when you take delivery.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member
2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
You will be very happy with your choice.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member
2016 30' International
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Paso Robles , California
go big!

hi. just wanted to share a mistake that we made. last october we purchased a 2015 25' flying cloud. we quickly regretted not going with our instinct of getting a 30'. so we've fixed our error and are waiting for a 30' international serenity.

it would have been great to make the correct purchase at the onset but thankfully the dealer has been very helpful in making this swap pretty painless.

best of luck with your decision.
Mrmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:46 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Absolutely go with awnings all the way around. It helps keep AS interior cool. Go aftermarket solar. It's better, cheaper per watt, and will have more capacity to charge batteries than the admittedly wimpy factory system. We have a 22 International, and some days, with three adults and 4 dogs aboard it gets a tad crowded, but what the hey, it's paid for...😀😀😀

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:39 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Which Airstream to Buy?

One thing I have not seen much is the increase in maneuverability and stability you'll enjoy with a 25' double axle model over the 22-Sport single axle. Towing, reversing are a lot easier on a two axle than a single - the single will react more pronounced to small changes while backing in. Also, on a two axle model, if you blow a single tyre on a side, the remaining should have the emergency capability to preserve stability while you get to the shoulder; or slow roll to an appropriate shop.

Honestly, the 22-Sport in my opinion would make an excellent "second airstream" one where a solo jaunt on your own you can have a snug alcove to yourself. My other opinion which I think would not be popular with the remainder of the thread is you may also want to look at the 23D - which I would personally take before I buy a 25FB

One final thing - new bells and whistles are great, but you may want to also consider looking for a two or three year old gently used model. It's amazing how many people buy into an RV, don't use it but one weekend and then sell it a year later, taking the depreciation hit in the process. I obtained my 2011 Serenity 28W this way and would do it the same again. The good news is the 25FB has been popular for a number of years which ought to let you find better and cheaper selections.

2011 Airstream International Serenity 28' - 30a/taupe
2013 Ford F150 v6-ecoboost with max tow and HD payload packages
2011 Airstream International Serenity 28'
2016 Ford F250 Crew 4x4 KR Diesel
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:25 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Our 22' International is dual axle. Personally I prefer dual over single for all the same reasons...much safer in a single tyre failure scenario.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post
We opted for the convection microwave. Airstream says some aren't happy with the oven because it doesn't easily cook meats all the way through, and we like cooking out on a Weber anyway. Also, the oven is a major consumer of propane.
When you start to use your new 25fb be aware that you may overload the 30amp system if you have the AC running and using the convection oven. Also, running the water heater on 120v will draw additional amps. If you are ordering the 25 with dual air you'll get the 50 amp system and you should be good.

After I put an old pizza stone in my gas oven I was amazed it actually worked well. I baked these cookies in the oven. The only thing I had to do was increase the cook time a bit more but they came out nice.

Some have complained the microwave/convection oven is too low under the stove top and the interior too small but I have no experience.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cookies.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	248289  
2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:33 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member
2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
We bought a used 25' Safari off the forum classifieds 2 years ago. We agonized over 23 or 25 as I was concerned about the weight and towing. We went with 25fb and loved it. We tow with an Armada no problems! I had little towing experience and learned quickly.

We just upgraded to a 2015 28' International. We have more stowage, more room, a separate couch and dining table. Also the bed is not turned sideways on the 28' which is a very nice feature. There is stowage on both sides of the bed and under so that is a plus.

For us it was all about the layout we wanted. We looked at 27 and 28 (same outside length no but diff layouts) and chose the 28. Trust your feelings and pick the floor plan you like best for how you travel (and how your wife packs!). I was a little nervous about going bigger but we've had it on a weekend trial run and I can't tell a noticeable diff between the 25 and 28 when towing maneuvering and backing.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:19 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
More is better. Towing small, and camping large. Go big, the rest is details. Our first is a 30ft, never looked back and wish I would have, no trailer envy. Next, join WBCCI, Airstream Life magazine, and attend as many AS rallies, and read the forums. My wife calls it,"Expanding New Horizons".
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:43 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The difference between the 25' series and the 27/28' series is an increase of only 300 pounds of GVW. Interesting though and of great importance in tow vehicle selection is that the 28' has the highest Airstream literature tongue. Those literature tongue weights have been historically understated.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #68
Rivet Slave
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Those literature tongue weights have been historically understated.
Now, that's an understatement.

Our actual tongue weight is closer to 15% of GVW, not the claimed 10%.

Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote