Old 09-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Irvine , California
Where to park while we do it up?

Hi everyone,

My husband and I bought our trailer about a month ago, and it still needs quite a lot of work. We're currently staying with his very kind parents while we do it up, but they've received a complaint about it, and we need to move. We're planning to full-time in the trailer, so we don't have our own home to park it at. Does anyone have any advice about the kinds of places we could park up and still work on it? Would this be permissible at an RV park, or are there rules against it? We could try to find a nearly empty one so we'd be less disruptive -- I know there are lots of underused parks near here. Obviously we'll need access to power for our tools, but at a push we could use a generator for that.

We're in California, just outside of Los Angeles, in case that helps. Would be really grateful for any advice, or to hear from anyone else who's found themselves in a similar situation...

Thanks!

Old 09-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Every state and park and business will be different, but... my research has shown most RV park's don't want you doing major renovations in them.

Mobile home parks tend to be a little different. Covered storage places vary. Some only allow you to wash off, and dump, that's it.

We ended up getting a covered Storage unit for ours. It's at an actual storage place that offered covered RV & Bus storage.

Personally, if you don't have your own place right now, I think this is your best bet. It's a tad bit more money. But should generally be under 300 a month.

We paid $250 for two months.

Our space is a 14 x 60 ft, I'm unsure of the ceiling height, but it's high enough as you can see,

It has a power hookup, so I have taken my tools and fans over there. gives me space to work privately and I have 24/7 access. They don't seem to care that I'm there working. It's basically like having my own garage.

On a funny note, I have noticed that I might be the only person in the 30 units with a stored recreational vehicle. So far I have seen guys running their businesses out of them, lol.

Good luck.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Providence Village , Texas
We have a similar issue - but ours was with our HOA...so we moved to a covered storage unit that does not mind us working on it - with 30amp electric service runs us circa 95 a month - pay 3 months at a time and received a 10% discount - 24hr onsite security....
Old 09-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Irvine , California
This is really great to know, thank you so much. I've been calling round a few local storage centers, and most of them say I can't work on-site. Just wondering if I'm going about this wrong: did you ask first, or just do the work and hope nobody noticed?!

Thank you so much for your help!
Old 09-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Providence Village , Texas
I asked- they also have a repair facility on site and have a few independents that will come on site as well.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Every state and park and business will be different, but... my research has shown most RV park's don't want you doing major renovations in them.

Mobile home parks tend to be a little different. Covered storage places vary. Some only allow you to wash off, and dump, that's it.

We ended up getting a covered Storage unit for ours. It's at an actual storage place that offered covered RV & Bus storage.

Personally, if you don't have your own place right now, I think this is your best bet. It's a tad bit more money. But should generally be under 300 a month.

We paid $250 for two months.

Our space is a 14 x 60 ft, I'm unsure of the ceiling height, but it's high enough as you can see,

It has a power hookup, so I have taken my tools and fans over there. gives me space to work privately and I have 24/7 access. They don't seem to care that I'm there working. It's basically like having my own garage.

On a funny note, I have noticed that I might be the only person in the 30 units with a stored recreational vehicle. So far I have seen guys running their businesses out of them, lol.

Good luck.
It seems like this would be an oven on sunny warm days.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
If one of you is not working look into camp hosting. One of our camp host mates in Ca had a vintage kin and worked on it all the time. If you can find a place you can get a 4 month gig. No cost for camping and very doable hosting responsibilities.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
It seems like this would be an oven on sunny warm days.
You'd think that, but it's actually the exact opposite. I've spent all day there working. Doesn't get that hot. And it's still in the 90's here.