Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Where keep outside kept stuff dry?

So...on our vacation last week down in Gulf Shores....I found myself shoving things under the AS when we would leave...there was always rain threatening last week off and on...so I would shove my chairs under if we went to the beach...my couple fans....etc...

I have one of those pop up tents, but have grown to not enjoy dealing with that thing...but I realize that is one solution...although in a bad storm, it concerns me greatly even if I stake it down (which just ads more logistical pains).

So for the purposes of this post...leave that alone.

Putting stuff under my trailer with limited clearance is kind of a small pain...so I got to scratching my head:

Why can I not buy some kind of sheet of material that is like tough but light enough plastic with handles....put stuff on the big square and kinda shove it under the AS....Or like something floating on wheels?

I like shoving some things under there to keep them dry, but worry it wears at the best rv chairs out there - so I thought like a sacrificial piece of plastic that can sit under there. and as needed also could just pull it out with all contents with it?

Anyone ever try something like that?

OMG, the typo in the title...meant: "Where [do you] keep outside stuff dry?"

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have a cap on the truck for much of the stuff. I try to limit how much stuff is brought. I also bring a tarp if it looks like high probability of rain.
Watch the weather forecast and plan appropriately.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I have a cap on the truck for much of the stuff. I try to limit how much stuff is brought. I also bring a tarp if it looks like high probability of rain.
Watch the weather forecast and plan appropriately.

I ditched the cover on my truck a while ago for several reasons some of which have nothing to do with AS use - miss that for sure sometimes - mostly not though for my various uses

Old 06-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Click image for larger version

Name:	F250 Roll Cover.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	314734

Roll cover over truck bed.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I suppose you could buy a blue (or any color) tarp and tie 10' cords on two corners. Tie a weight of some sort at the end of the cords. put the tarp on the ground at the side of the trailer. Toss the weights under the trailer to the other side. Put your stuff on the tarp. Go to the other side and pull the tarp under the trailer with the cords.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I just use a small brown tarp with bungee straps to cover our bikes and chairs. I store them against the rear bumper. Not pretty, but the brown looks better than a blue tarp. If we don't have the bikes, I just set the folded camp chairs in the truck cab at night to keep rain or dew off of them. I tried putting the chairs under the trailer for a while but they always got wet in a big rain.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
What about a small 1 or 2 person tent? (Not the easy-up type you alluded to, but an actual tent.) That should provide sufficient room to store stuff you don't' want to get wet. And you'd only need to put it up if you needed it. That seems easier than coming up with a way to slide stuff under the trailer on a tarp ... and also the relative low clearance you'd have with that set-up. Good luck with it.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
What about a small 1 or 2 person tent? (Not the easy-up type you alluded to, but an actual tent.) That should provide sufficient room to store stuff you don't' want to get wet. And you'd only need to put it up if you needed it. That seems easier than coming up with a way to slide stuff under the trailer on a tarp ... and also the relative low clearance you'd have with that set-up. Good luck with it.
hmm...that sounds absurdly pragmatic.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:25 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
nice SWISS CAP, will take care of everything.......
http://www.swisscaps.cc/standalum.php
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
it would need the tent to be however very easy to deploy and store easily without being all nasty....hmmm...my backpacking tent that I rarely use (cause I mostly hammock camp when backpacking) is quite a project to put together with all the ground tie outs...but a very standard one perhaps?

Actually, nice tarp pitched as a ground tarp would not be bad...few stakes, tarp, hiking poles to hold up one side......that could work too...not as rain tight as the tent, but usually just want it "doable"...

I realize this is camping minutia....unapologetically.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:29 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Hi

I believe that that (as the only sensible option) was ruled out in the original post. The whole "toss it under the trailer" thing works very poorly with a low slung AS and a typical uneven campsite ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Protection from rain?
It's hard to beat the Rubbermaid Action Packers.
They seem to be going away from production, but you can still buy the 35 gallon size. Water doesn't puddle on top and they don't leak.
I fold up my chair and put it inside the door when leaving.

Theft is a separate issue.

Don't discount a plastic tarp draped over your boxes and tied with a piece of rope.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I second the Roll-n-lock tonneau cover. Third truck, third cover. Only negative I have is they do tend to freeze in Chicago winters. Just park in the sun, and they thaw.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:56 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We use two...easy up's. Never been a problem, rather have dry stuff guaranteed when it's time to leave. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1938.jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	708.0 KB
ID:	314747  
Old 06-21-2018, 11:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
How do y’all secure the easy up in case of wind and such?

Old 06-22-2018, 05:20 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
How do y’all secure the easy up in case of wind and such?
Well...the Honda keeps the 2 man planted pretty well, and the Merc 8hp OB does the same for the 4 man. Plus they be quite a bit of misc stuff in both which adds some gravity.😂
Being in the woods a lot we don't often get a lot of straight-line wind, the tent might not be an end all solution for everyone.🤓

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-22-2018, 07:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Well...the Honda keeps the 2 man planted pretty well, and the Merc 8hp OB does the same for the 4 man. Plus they be quite a bit of misc stuff in both which adds some gravity.[emoji23]

Being in the woods a lot we don't often get a lot of straight-line wind, the tent might not be an end all solution for everyone.[emoji851]

Bob

[emoji631]

Yeah - we’ve had a few times with some serious wind! But that may be overall the exception to the rule - after mulling on this in leanifnnback toward using the pop up tent I have...

Old 06-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
In the Stone Age of a half century ago we . . . wiped off the wet things.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:47 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTER TAXES View Post
nice SWISS CAP, will take care of everything.......
http://www.swisscaps.cc/standalum.php
I saw a picture of another AS owner who had a nice Swiss cap setup. Even had a Honda 7000 geni in the back with a custom hose hole for the exhaust. Problem is I can't find a dealer west of Colorado, I would've thought they were nationwide.
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I believe that that (as the only sensible option) was ruled out in the original post. The whole "toss it under the trailer" thing works very poorly with a low slung AS and a typical uneven campsite ...

Bob
Hey Bob... I believe in the original post he was referring to an easy-up. not a camping tent. At least that's how I interpreted it his comments.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote