Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2018, 12:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yes - an ez up is certainly not equal to some forms or simple camping type tents.

Also - I’m gonna be raising my AS with dexter lift kit as it relates to stuff going under the AS - but even at current height I have rather liked flopping stuff under it.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #22
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
I’d like to know what kit you use, where ya get it, and who ya got to install in general ... and of course how you feel about the way that impacts your Airstream!! Been thinking since I saw them mentioned in your driveway thread [emoji848]

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
I’d like to know what kit you use, where ya get it, and who ya got to install in general ... and of course how you feel about the way that impacts your Airstream!! Been thinking since I saw them mentioned in your driveway thread [emoji848]
well...its gonna take me some time to get it all figured out...called a handful of businesses after googling "truck and trailer repair"...these are places dealing with big rigs and such....they all kinda were like, "ehhh, umm, we'd rather not..." or some variation....

I left a message with a sorta trailer business nearby that one of those above mentioned businesses recommended checking with...left message, no callback yet...

Called Dexter Axel folks directly to see if they have some recommended spots they have used or know of or recommend (as J. Morgan said to me acutally, they may have paid for a warranty work somewhere near me?).

If push comes to shove, ill bug my dad a lifetime airplane and auto mechanic to come help help me...he has jacks, stands, etc etc etc....

I have no earthly idea right now about which kit ill be getting...

I did start googling and have read for about 1-2 hours the interesting threads on here which you can look up..there are several, one of note has a title like "how to gain more clearance"...and there are others...you can go and survey all those....there are several anecdotes from members who did the lift...and some critical thoughts from a few about the concerns of raising it even 2 and 7/8 inches (or whatever it is precisely).

Anyway, if we are gonna chat that up, Ill create another thread....titled "Dexter Axel Lift Kit Mulling" or some such, not to get way off topic

I suppose if/when I actually do it, if you like, Ill provide details in a thread..

Old 06-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
again, not to continue that subject further here...but my very strong preference and likely route will be to find a local shop to do that work for me.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Where keep outside kept stuff dry?

But...but...it’s a grand opportunity to have an excuse to buy a few new tools....

Isn’t that what EVERY DIY guy needs....more tools???
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
But...but...it’s a grand opportunity to have an excuse to buy a few new tools....

I need more TIME!

Old 06-22-2018, 10:10 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We tend to put the lounge chairs in the back seat of the truck overnight if it looks like rain or to protect from dew in spring or fall.
Otherwise we will fold up and store upright against the pic nic table.

We have also kept things sheltered under the pic nic table.

Everything else we keep in the truck bed and just wipe off.

For trips with the generator and fuel cans we have a plastic tool locker that these travel in that is locked to the truck bed and padlocked shut. This can also fit and extra bag or 2 of charcoal and is water-tight. This might be a good item if you want to add a useful storage piece.

For charcoal, the best container is the yellow plastic container for fresh step kitty litter. Ask on of your cat owning friends for one.

Our smokey joe weber stores in the black zipper bag from amazon.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
How do y’all secure the easy up in case of wind and such?
We had a couple at work. The guys filled 2.5 gallon plastic gas tanks with water and used them in each corner. They never moved. However, beware, EZ-ups can puddle a bunch of water on top. One tug and someone gets a shower.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:01 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
How do y’all secure the easy up in case of wind and such?
Lol we tie it to our picnic table[emoji6]

Sent from my XT1254 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Sdmezurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:29 AM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post

YES!!! 👍😳👎
But we still need to know what each tool is good for.😂

Tools explained.

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light . Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh sh--!'

SKIL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle... It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes , trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans.. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

SON-OF-A-BITCH TOOL: (A personal favorite!) Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a BITCH!' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-23-2018, 09:02 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Bob - made me laugh for sure hahahahaha

Old 06-23-2018, 09:09 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
SON-OF-A-BITCH TOOL: (A personal favorite!) Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a BITCH!' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

Bob
🇺🇸
Outstanding!
I found the SOB tool is the one you stuck in your back pocket temporarily, then forgot about and punched a hole in your car seat.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Now that's funny...I like the Table Saw one the best...
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #34
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Pharma-
You may find this video helpful and encouraging -

2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #35
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Will the stuff you need to keep dry, fit in the space of a large motorcycle cover?
Many different designs, some including floors.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:43 AM   #36
wmb
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
We now have a tonneau cover, but before that we went for this cheaper alternative:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UZDPY4

It's a heavy-duty waterproof bag that's designed to be tied down in a truck bed, but you could easily stake it to the ground.
wmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Shower curtain

I bought a couple of cheap plastic shower curtains and made a cover for each of our chairs. Our chairs are the full backed - lean way back type. There is a position that they can be in that is sort of half folded up in the forward position. I put them in that position and pop the covers on. The covers fold up and get stored inside, where they take up almost no room.

To make a cover, I just draped a piece of shower curtain material over the chair and sealed the sides with some of that really strong two-sided carpet tape that you can get at the big box stores. That tape, by the way, is great for making boxes of a custom size. Once you tape two pieces of cardboard together with that tape, it's NOT coming apart - even if you want it to!
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Huh - good ideas hmm - I can sew too so making a cover is a good idea - although it’s not only my chair and such - it’s a few other things - but ideas are good

Old 06-27-2018, 10:52 AM   #39

2014 22' FB Sport
Wilsonville , Oregon
Car Top Carrier with Rain Flap and Zipper

We call it the Basement for the AS. All outside stuff, chairs, wood and misc. goes in. It fits the top of a campground picnic table. We are in the Northwest and have a lot of mountain showers to deal with.
Airbambi16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:10 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
How about using the space underneath the picnic table? Pretty ubiquitous in all of the campgrounds I've stayed at and one of the first things that gets rearranged upon arrival.

Cover with a tarp, tuck the tarp under the legs to keep it from blowing away. More challenging to secure when the table is literally dug into the ground, however.

Haven't seen a campground supplied picnic table blow away yet, although if one does, you have other more pressing problems.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote