Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2018, 07:26 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
I have a 17' Casita, about 3600 lbs when loaded. I get 11.5 mph when towing in the mountains. Tundra has a 26.4 gal gas tank.

I hope to get a 25' Airstream this fall. No doubt the Tundra can pull and stop the Airstream, but I have to wonder what mileage to expect. Also, I am currently a bit over my payload capacity.

I suppose I will have to buy another TV, but first I will see how the Tundra does pulling the AS.

I really would like to take a driving course on how to correctly pull a trailer using the Tundra. The manual says it has the ability to slow the TV/TT when going down hill. And I sometimes can feel it doing just that. The problem is I cannot get it to do it when I need it, so I chicken out and manually downshift. Even then, in first gear, my speed will creep up to the point where I have to apply brakes. I did not expect that with a 5.7L engine, six speed trans with tow package. I thought it would hold the speed steady, at least in low gear, but no, it will not. Maybe I will try putting it in 4x4 high, then use first gear...

My towing experience is limited. I have only towed 30K+ miles; mostly in the West and the Appalachians. I live in TN.

I don't really want a diesel but I may have to get one just for the exhaust brake, specially after I get the AS.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #42
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
There is nothing wrong with using brakes. It is even best practice to use coordinated braking when going down hill. The trailer brakes keep the coach in line with the tow vehicle. Using engine compression does not perform that function. It only slows the tow vehicle. Heavy braking means you are going too fast. Riding the brakes does not allow them to cool. Proper method is smooth braking to reduce the speed and then release to allow speed to build slightly and brakes to cool. Repeat every 1/4 mile or as necessary to control speed. Gearing down the transmission resists the speed build up and takes advantage of that control.

It is best to brake on down hill straight sections. That incurs the least upset for the rig. Slow enough to be smooth through the curves and corners. A light pressure on the brakes through a curve can settle the rig on the suspension to improve stability. Care is required to not overheat the brakes or reduce cornering traction.

Stabbing on the brakes is a poor practice. Apply brakes smoothly and firm enough to slow the rig. Release smoothly to allow brakes to cool. Slow 5-10 miles an hour and then allow the speed to build while brakes cool. Then slow again. If you build up too much speed, slow to a lower speed and repeat.

Be smooth. Travel slow. Keep your brakes maintained. Upgrade the pads if they wear too fast or provide less than acceptable braking force. Most important, slow down.

Good luck on your skills development. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I would guess that the Tundra will pull a 25 foot Airstream without major problems. You just have to remember you are on a VAY-CAY-SHUN and 55 is plenty fast enough.

My GMC has a "tow mode" button that adjusts the shifting. Don't know if your Tundra has anything similar, but I would bet there is a Tundra owner's forum (and surely a friendly member or 20 here) who will chime in and help. I personally adjust my trailer brakes to be just the slightest bit grabby especially in hilly conditions. I would rather feel the trailer turn into an anchor a second before the truck brakes engage. Remember tire and brake wear change the performance of your rig so redo frequently.

You will probably still get 11.6 mpg.

Paula
Old 06-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Thank you both PKI and Foiled Again, for your suggestions. We will be leaving an a couple weeks for a few months on the road out west and will heed your wise words.

I just looked at a used AS 27 but feel it may be a bit too much for my overloaded Tundra. We will most probably zero in on the 25FB Twin. Sure like the space in the 27.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #45
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
-- snip --I just looked at a used AS 27 but feel it may be a bit too much for my overloaded Tundra. -- snip --.
IMHO, you should look again. Tow weight is of minimal concern. An extra 20 seconds to get up to speed, traveling slightly slower, and reducing the down hill speed an extra 5 mph is of little consequence and likely not required. The 25 is going to have a lot of tongue weight and that takes away from your payload. Consequently, that issue has more impact on the rig tune than the overall tow weight.

It is all a compromise. Make the ones that work for you. The load out can be with less gear, water and waste. Moving part of your load to the trailer can make a good difference to rig tune. There are a lot of good reasons folks go with a 25, but IMHO, if they need more than a 23, they should be looking at the 27.

Make the right decision for you. That may be a 25. However, make the right decission. Do not overload your rig, but optimize it for your needs, budget and travel style. Pat

One other point - the older trailers offered more length at less weight. Depends on what you want - space, features, age, condition - yes, lots to consider - proceed slow - it will save you money.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Chino Hills , California
Fill before u go

I live in the "LA area" and there is no way I would leave prior to filling up my truck first before hooking up my AS. Once you are on the road, fill up at truck stops prior to entering a "big town/city" to avoid any congested gas stations. With those rules in mind you should always be able to avoid any gassing up issues.
roadkill367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:14 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
I agree with "Road Kill" here. I fill up the TV BEFORE attaching the TT. Especially in the LA area. On 10 going east I can just make it to Quartzsite before having to fill up again. Arizona gas is cheaper ($0.70/gal- $2.50/). I avoid filling up in the in LA County like the plague. I tend to choose gas stations based up whether or not I can get in and out of them safely. As Road Kill says the truck stops allow you more space to move in and out.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We fill when unhooked and are full-timing over 5 years. We have never had to pull into the expensive Pilots. Our trailer is a 28' and a tv with a long bed...so we are 50. Just scout it out and it is doable. If you think that falls on hubby you would be wrong. I do all the stations and the backing. Very doable!
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:17 PM   #49
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
We did have an interesting experience on the way home from the coast. There is a station in Bodega Bay that we use. Had a few drops over a quarter tank as we approached only to find it closed for maintenance and calibration. We rolled on to Petaluma and pulled into the Shell station on the West side, because we did not dare go much farther down the road without a fillup. It's old, tight and we had to take a pew in the second row. Had an SUV and a u-haul beside us that made the pull out difficult. We used all the space and took it slow. The memorable part was several complements on the trailer as we passed each smiling face. Be cool, take it slow and stay focused. Wait for some folks to leave or backup if that's what it takes.

Enjoy the experience. Pat
Old 07-07-2018, 08:43 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
When the gas pump is out of reach...

Had a fuel delivery truck driver help me get in and out of a gas station one time after I snagged the AS step on a high curb in a gas station.
He was very kind, patient, and helpful to the dumb newbie trying to get untangled and get fuel. Was a true gentleman.
Nowadays I start looking for a fill-up when I get close to 1/2 tank and scout out stations much more carefully. I love the ones with 2-3 separate pump islands with lots of flat area in their parking lots....
The worst ones are where you pull in aimed directly at the building. I’ve had to back out of them a couple times.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote