Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
When is it time to give up RVing and sell our 25' Excella?

We just returned from a wonderful trip to the Florida Keys and as we were driving home, the question came up...."Is it time to sell our 25' Excella and get out of RV'ing?" For the past 15 years we've been traveling quite a bit. We've had our '97 Excella 25 since 2004 and have pulled it from the Florida Keys to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. We've been from Los Angeles to Washington DC several times. We've been to most National Parks, and all the usual haunts from the Balloon Festival to Sturgis. We've eaten BBQ from Kansas City to Memphis, and even to the National BBQ Cookoff in Las Vegas. We've averaged about 9000 miles a year for nearly 15 years.

We've reached a point where we don't have any remaining places tugging at our heartstrings for a visit. We used to travel for a month at a time, but the past couple trips, we plan a month trip but end up heading home early because we're bored revisiting some old favorite places. We think it may be time to sell the trailer and turn the page. Has anyone else reached this point in their lives? What did you do?
Old 01-01-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bob, You and only you will know when that time comes. Sometimes you just wake up one morning and know that it is time to move on with the next phase of your life. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I agree with Michael, that's a decision that you will know when it's time.

I'm happy that we are not there yet, and a large part of the fun to me is the planning, and anticipation of the next trip.

If I could just get all the issues with this damn Dodge Ram truck sorted out, I'd be happy as a pig is slop. Wish I'd never bought it.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Please do not sell. Go on a hiatus from rving for a few months and see if the fire comes back. I am sure there are many that would miss you. You have a much appreciated history with AS and the club. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Bob,

I have a very close friend who was an avid RVer also. Spent as much time as he could traveling the country in his diesel motor home, taking in all of the sights, sounds and smells of the US and Canada.

When he was done, he shifted gears entirely…………….and bought a BOAT!

Now he spends at least as much time plying the waters of the West Coast from Costa Rica to British Columbia, thoroughly enjoying his time on the water. His motto: Life's a journey…enjoy the ride!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Then it's time to do something really unusual. Pick not a destination, but a route, and see what that route brings. And not an interstate!

I've always dreamed about doing one of the old US highways from end to end. Sure, there's Highway 66, but a lot of it is gone. By contrast, Highway 64 and Highway 60 are still there and vibrant!

Lynn
Old 01-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Even though we don't use the trailer as much anymore, I look at it as my Escape Capsule. It's always there for a quick takeoff, and that's a comfort to me.

I believe I'll keep my rig as long as I can still call myself a driver.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
We've been across America twice, been to many events and wonder if we should sell after many years of Airstreaming. We ended up, upgrading the Airstream and have found locations where we can park it for months and using it for weekend retreats to areas that are comfortable based on the weather trends of the seasons.
We are still very young, but now are looking into storing it in Florida Oct-Apr and getting down there for even four-six weeks out of that time period before we bring it back to North Carolina. You can't give away the memories that you have made over the years in the Airstream, but the ones to be made down the road, even the less traveled ones will be ones that will most likely be a "remember when" moment.
Good luck with your decision and thanks for helping us know that we all eventually will get to this point.

Happy New Year and 2014!

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Dont sell yet...take a break...the world is a big place...try a trip to Hawaii...Europe or Australia, lots of great place outside of the US..then decide
happy trails

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Bob, maybe it is the AS, and not the RVing that makes you want to "retire". Sometimes the hooking up and unhooking that is the problem. I feel that way sometimes. At one time we had a "C". We would just go for a ride and get some Chinese and a bottle and sit and watch the sunset, rain or just life. At other times we would camp and enjoy the fire and something cooked over it. We would take the boat or bikes depending on the urge at the time.
Try several sizes of MOHOs first and see if that might be your "NEW" lifestyle.
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
It may be a little easier for those of you who live where the weather is agreeable to you most of the year to give up their travel trailer. For me, I get less tolerant of the cold of winter as I age. So right now, I am sitting outside of Tucson, where it will be 70 degrees today. Back home in the midwest, it's in the teens and snowing today.
This last summer while it was over 100 degrees at home, I was in the camper in the mountains of Colorado.
I don't so much "travel" as I go and "stay" somewhere.

Dare I say it here Bob, but perhaps it's time for you to switch to a more residential type RV like a fifth wheel with a couple of slides ? Go to the mountains in summer, set it up and enjoy cool mountain air for the summer ?
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
We'll all hit that point eventually. My parents held onto their sailboat too long. My mom, especially, was more than ready to give it up and my father was in denial. They could no longer properly handle it and then one day got into a bad accident when the wind picked up. It was disabled and pushed against some rocks. They needed rescue. The boat was disabled for months and cost them plenty in terms of dollars, anxiety, and stress. The whole episode aged them badly and they never sailed again. It was a bitter ending to a lifetime of fond memories for them.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You say you have been across America Bob, but have you been to Alaska via tha AlCan? I think that would revive anyones interest in the great ourdoors. Take your time and enjoy the beauty of this world.

It takes some planning ahead but the great memories and story's will be with you till the end!

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The bottom line, Bob, is that you have to do what is right for youin this stage of your life.

As I just became eligible for Medicare and SuEllyn is eight months behind me, you have raised that dreaded question in my mind, how long will we be able to travel like this?, spending half of our time in the Airstream. I hope the answer is a "long time"

Please keep us posted on your thoughts and decisions.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
All things pass. That's what life is. I wouldn't worry much about it. It sounds to me like you have already identified the moment. I have often wondered how Fabian can take the stage every night and sing the same few songs he sang at 17 years old. If you have had your fill of travel, move on to something new and exciting. How amazing was it that GWB took up painting after being the leader of the free world?

Life is dynamic. Don't be afraid of change. Embrace it and don't suffer from a weight you don't want to carry any longer. What's the worst thing that could happen....you might have to buy a new trailer if you discover you really weren't done? Small problem.

Thanks for writing a very intriguing post to start the new year! Good luck, whatever you decide!
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:14 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Speaking just for myself, I have found that with age I don't have the need to go to new places, but do love to return to my favorite old spots, over and over. I have taken one Airstream or another to 49 states, most Canadian provinces, and the Yukon, but now the pacific NW is where I pretty much stay. I can enjoy a campground 20 miles from home as much as ones I visited 2000 miles from home in former times.

But everyone is different and only you two know when it is time to change how you travel, or don't.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Maybe it's time to change Airstreaming style, less travel more time at destinations. Such as a month or two tucked away in the pines lakeside in Minnesota, Wisconsin or Canada in midsummer without the air conditioner running. Or the mountains and coasts of the Northwest. It looks like you have an ideal Airstream for it.

Kind of a reversal of the snowbirds you see in Texas in winter. We also spent many, many years traveling but now enjoy winters at different destinations in southern states, taking various and often lengthy trips getting there. In summer it's back home to the lake.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Maple Plain , Minnesota
I have wondered too what we might do about the A/S "when that time comes." By now (or soon) it is pretty well depreciated and not worth much on the open market in comparison to what it would cost to get into something "NEW" (like a boat or vacation condo or cottage). If you love the mountains or a remote lake or a certain city you have visited why not look into renting or buying a small patch of land or contract for an RV spot in a campground and leave your unit there for a while. Use it like an inexpensive (now), but familiar and comfortable cottage or condo. I think you could even handle "dry camping" in locations where you could rig your TV to handle your sewage transport as well as fresh water.

Where there is a will, there is a way and this could be a new adventure. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a place just like that!
tomp1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
We just returned from a wonderful trip to the Florida Keys and as we were driving home, the question came up...."Is it time to sell our 25' Excella and get out of RV'ing?" For the past 15 years we've been traveling quite a bit. We've had our '97 Excella 25 since 2004 and have pulled it from the Florida Keys to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. We've been from Los Angeles to Washington DC several times. We've been to most National Parks, and all the usual haunts from the Balloon Festival to Sturgis. We've eaten BBQ from Kansas City to Memphis, and even to the National BBQ Cookoff in Las Vegas. We've averaged about 9000 miles a year for nearly 15 years.

We've reached a point where we don't have any remaining places tugging at our heartstrings for a visit. We used to travel for a month at a time, but the past couple trips, we plan a month trip but end up heading home early because we're bored revisiting some old favorite places. We think it may be time to sell the trailer and turn the page. Has anyone else reached this point in their lives? What did you do?
I think you have decided. Turn the Page.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
Your question strikes a cord with me as I have had very similar thoughts. Not about the A/S, we just bought a new one. Rather its about my motorcycles. I have a couple vintage (1975 and 1979) BMWs and I like working on them and riding them, but maybe not as much as I used to.

I took a 1,700 mile trip in October out to Fort Davis and Big Bend. It was great, but it was tiring and on the way home I had some of the same thoughts.

Motorcycles don't take up as much space as an Airstream, so I think I will just wait awhile and see if it passes.

It is a valid question.
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote