Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle

Old 01-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
All things pass. That's what life is. I wouldn't worry much about it. It sounds to me like you have already identified the moment. I have often wondered how Fabian can take the stage every night and sing the same few songs he sang at 17 years old. If you have had your fill of travel, move on to something new and exciting. How amazing was it that GWB took up painting after being the leader of the free world?

Life is dynamic. Don't be afraid of change. Embrace it and don't suffer from a weight you don't want to carry any longer. What's the worst thing that could happen....you might have to buy a new trailer if you discover you really weren't done? Small problem.

Thanks for writing a very intriguing post to start the new year! Good luck, whatever you decide!

mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:14 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Speaking just for myself, I have found that with age I don't have the need to go to new places, but do love to return to my favorite old spots, over and over. I have taken one Airstream or another to 49 states, most Canadian provinces, and the Yukon, but now the pacific NW is where I pretty much stay. I can enjoy a campground 20 miles from home as much as ones I visited 2000 miles from home in former times.

But everyone is different and only you two know when it is time to change how you travel, or don't.

idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Maybe it's time to change Airstreaming style, less travel more time at destinations. Such as a month or two tucked away in the pines lakeside in Minnesota, Wisconsin or Canada in midsummer without the air conditioner running. Or the mountains and coasts of the Northwest. It looks like you have an ideal Airstream for it.

Kind of a reversal of the snowbirds you see in Texas in winter. We also spent many, many years traveling but now enjoy winters at different destinations in southern states, taking various and often lengthy trips getting there. In summer it's back home to the lake.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2005 28' International CCD
Maple Plain , Minnesota
I have wondered too what we might do about the A/S "when that time comes." By now (or soon) it is pretty well depreciated and not worth much on the open market in comparison to what it would cost to get into something "NEW" (like a boat or vacation condo or cottage). If you love the mountains or a remote lake or a certain city you have visited why not look into renting or buying a small patch of land or contract for an RV spot in a campground and leave your unit there for a while. Use it like an inexpensive (now), but familiar and comfortable cottage or condo. I think you could even handle "dry camping" in locations where you could rig your TV to handle your sewage transport as well as fresh water.

Where there is a will, there is a way and this could be a new adventure. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a place just like that!
tomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
We just returned from a wonderful trip to the Florida Keys and as we were driving home, the question came up...."Is it time to sell our 25' Excella and get out of RV'ing?" For the past 15 years we've been traveling quite a bit. We've had our '97 Excella 25 since 2004 and have pulled it from the Florida Keys to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. We've been from Los Angeles to Washington DC several times. We've been to most National Parks, and all the usual haunts from the Balloon Festival to Sturgis. We've eaten BBQ from Kansas City to Memphis, and even to the National BBQ Cookoff in Las Vegas. We've averaged about 9000 miles a year for nearly 15 years.

We've reached a point where we don't have any remaining places tugging at our heartstrings for a visit. We used to travel for a month at a time, but the past couple trips, we plan a month trip but end up heading home early because we're bored revisiting some old favorite places. We think it may be time to sell the trailer and turn the page. Has anyone else reached this point in their lives? What did you do?
I think you have decided. Turn the Page.
Don Hardman
1976 31' Sovereign
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
Your question strikes a cord with me as I have had very similar thoughts. Not about the A/S, we just bought a new one. Rather its about my motorcycles. I have a couple vintage (1975 and 1979) BMWs and I like working on them and riding them, but maybe not as much as I used to.

I took a 1,700 mile trip in October out to Fort Davis and Big Bend. It was great, but it was tiring and on the way home I had some of the same thoughts.

Motorcycles don't take up as much space as an Airstream, so I think I will just wait awhile and see if it passes.

It is a valid question.
2010 27FB Classic
1989 190 Class B (Sold)
1977 29 Ambassador Land Yacht (Sold)
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have been thinking recently of a switch from the AS to a Sprinter based camper -
AS or other make.

The main reason I'm thinking about it is that our city is considering changing on-street parking regs which will complicate things for us - we have always brought the trailer home one day to pack then left the next, and we may not be able to do that in future.

We still don't know yet if the regulations will change.

But in thinking about a Class B which I could park in our drive, while I certainly know there would be a downside, there would be quite a few pluses - including less physical work as I age! We might also get more use out of it on short one/two night trips since it will be parked right at our house, not 3/4hour away!

Might be an option to think about.

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I made the decision to give up my passion for flying as pilot in 1988 and sold the plane I had flown 1,500 hours in from coast to coast. It was time.

I shifted to motorcycles in 1990 and that did not end up very well. I resumed them again in 2001 as the kids were all grown. But the light of interest is waning for that activity (too many friends hurt over the years) and I think a lot about the last accident in 1990 now and would not like that experience again. So we moved into the Airstream world.

I think there is a still small voice inside us that suggests it is a time to change our activities.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i'm a seasonal user. jan 1st is a big arrival day here and at least 6 of the regulars i know came in today. it was great seeing everyone walking around greeting each other and giving updates. seasonal use isn't for everyone but it can be fun seeing the seasonal family every year.
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Bob, you have our permission to do whatever you feel is best for you.

But I think we all hope that even if you do decide to leave the road you won't leave the Forum.

Your Cheap or Free Tip Sheets have been a much appreciated contribution to this space and an aide to many.

I hope you will maintain your interest in them.

Good luck whatever you do next; many thanks for your active participation.

All the best,

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:22 AM   #25
Rivet Master
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Bob, You and only you will know when that time comes. Sometimes you just wake up one morning and know that it is time to move on with the next phase of your life. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Decisions to RV or not, changes easy to make when you get home and conversation starts with "Glad to be home" or "That was fun, where to next"
These are personal decisions as most here have posted, but in reality it should be decided by all involved. Spouse, kids, doctor(age and health, most too polite to mention), accountant(rv vs stationary facilities enjoyment has it's costs).
As stated in the above posts no one but you can say it is time to change but listening to all involved should make it easier to give up something you thought was fun when you started doing it.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You might be a redneck if...

I see a similar theme coming on right here. It might be time to quit if...
  1. you drive 40 mph on the interstate
  2. everyone who passes you waves with one finger
  3. you ding the airstream every time you take it out
  4. your doctor/the DMV has restricted you to daytime only driving
  5. you've cleaned out your T-shirt drawer seven times and you still "have the T-shirt" for 100 things.
  6. all your RVing friends have died or retired
  7. you come back from every trip grumpy, sneezey, tired and achey

I really questioned myself after the wreck - and I'm still having a few after effects, but "Burning Man" is still on my bucket list. I'm sort of "on hiatus" right now, but I'm looking forward to spring and a rally or two.

I figure when I have to take a nap after cranking up the stabilizer jacks it might be time.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Bob, maybe you could just park the trailer for a year. Use it less, but don't commit to completely giving it up. It doesn't sound like you need to sell it for the space or funds.

Maybe abstinence will make the heart grow fonder. But if it sits for multiple months and you have no interest in hitching up....

Now: 2007 Safari SE 23' "Anne" towed by 2011 Dodge Durango "Herman"
Before: Argosy Minuet and T@B, towed by various Honda Odysseys
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member
1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
We made that decision last year so it is fresh on my mind. In my case it was largely an age related decision. We started with our first Airstream in 1983 at ages 48 & 46. As we “matured” I committed to being honest in evaluating my own driving prowess, vowing not to be an oldie towing an RV when he shouldn't be! I think I did pretty well at assessing this. I honestly think I could have safely gone a couple of years more (I'm now 78) – but maybe not. Two additional issues affected my decision; (1) It was increasingly difficult to maintain the unit and to hitch & unhitch, due to some physical pain (mostly age-related); (2) We enjoy our comfortable home, live in the same city as our sons, and when we visit our Colorado siblings we can have their guest rooms.

I've seen some really poor decisions that resulted when people did an activity out of obligation (“After all we have a lot of money tied up in this RV – boat – ATV – airplane – motorcycle, etc. so we have to use it”). What happens in these cases is, these folks become servants to the activity and it dominates their life! All recreational activity costs more than we like to admit, so why continue it when the joy is gone from it? My sage advice as I look back over a long and winding road is, if you're not pressed for the money don't be in a hurry to sell. Keep evaluating and sell only when you are sure its what you want. My Limited sat without turning a wheel for more than eighteen months before we decided it was time to let it go. Once you make the decision be at peace about it. If after several months or years you really miss the experience you can always buy another toy.

'92 Limited 34ft (now sold); '96 Dodge Cummins 4X2, 5speed
genearnold is offline   Reply With Quote