Old 10-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #15
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Greene View Post
One time, about two hours into a trip, I realized I had left some fresh tuna salad I had made for the trip in the fridge at home.
Could be worse. You could've left it on the kitchen counter.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
We used to have this drunken neighbor that would often stop by whenever we were doing something outside, and ask a lot of nosy questions and ramble on about nothing in particular. For the sake of being polite we put up with him.

One Friday evening when out for just a weekend at a local State Park, I was getting the coffee maker all cued up so the next morning all I would have to do is switch it on. At that moment I realized we had forgotten to pack the coffee! I also realized that the drunk neighbor had been hanging around as we loaded the trailer before the trip. He had distracted us enough that we forgot to pack such an important camping supply!

I went to the small camp store only to find out they didn't sell coffee. Then I drove for a few miles to a convenient store that only sold instant coffee. The only real grocery store that would have real coffee was many more mile away, so I suffered that weekend drinking instant coffee.

The next time that neighbor dropped by I ran him off.

Epilogue: We moved a several years later only to find that he had a nosy drunken neighbor at the new location. I ran him off about third time he dropped by because I didn't want to forget the coffee again, or something even more mission critical.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Where do I start?
1. The dealer didn't have the trailer ready when we got there. We were at the dealer from 8 AM till 6 PM.
2. 1st trip out: After setting up camp, I sit on the couch to relax to see water flowing down the hall. I had hooked up city water to the black tank flush thinking it was the city water connection, which eventually filled and...you know the rest of the story. That was the day I signed up on Airforums to get some insight into what had happened and what I had done wrong. The usual responses- some very helpful, and some very overly melodramatic-
3. 2nd trip out: We got to a campground in Texas, opened the door, and found blue liquid flowing everywhere. I had filled the soap dispensers. I have never filled the soap dispensers since. They apparently can't handle I-20 through Shreveport/Bossier City. Also, when I turned on the kitchen faucet, water sprayed everywhere. Apparently the sprayer nozzle connection couldn't handle I-20 through Shreveport/Bossier City, either.
4. 2nd year winterizing fail: I set up camp in March and sat down at the campsite picnic table. Then water comes running out of the door. I had neglected to winterize the toilet valve and it broke. I had to flush with a bowl of water on the counter that weekend and the next weekend until my 1/2 price internet buy toilet valve arrived.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Bee Cave , Texas
A newbie mistake. After buying a used AS (72 31' Sovereign) we took it on our second trip. While buying the AS, had an inspector go over it. He said, we were going to need new tires even though the tread was close to brand new. Sure, I thought, but they will last a little bit more. Well, there we are, driving down the road, and a car passes us beeping their horn and waving at us. Me, thinking they were complaining that we were only going the speed limit give them a jersey salute. A little while later I hear a strange sound. Pull over and notice we had blown a tire. And when those things blow, they don't just go flat. Shrapnel everywhere. Tore out the wheel well, and all the plumbing and electrical under the sink. Fortunately, found a place that came buy and replaced all four tires right there on the spot. Only wasted about an hour waiting. Good learning experience about how tires can rot even if they are not that used.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:15 PM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesClues View Post
Me, thinking they were complaining that we were only going the speed limit give them a jersey salute. A little while later I hear a strange sound. Pull over and notice we had blown a tire.
I think the REAL lesson here is not to give someone the Jersey Salute until you know that they're not trying to help.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Bee Cave , Texas
Yes, believe me, I felt bad all weekend. Wish I could have said, "Sorry".
Old 10-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
The Woodlands , Texas
The first time out in the Airstream, we camped in a Texas state park. We had purchased the camper two months prior and due to work commitments had not been able to use it until that weekend. There was only a slight chance of rain over the weekend, and as we really wanted to try out the new trailer, we were not put off by the forecast. Of course it rained like a monsoon that evening. The skylight, other parts of the roof, and back window leaked like they had never been subjected to any type of sealant.

On drying the floor back at home the next day, we saw that the floor by the back window had peeled up. Upon further inspection we noticed that the subfloor 1/3rd of the length of the trailer was soaked, rotted, and had been injected with epoxy to hide the damage and keep the floor solid. This experience led me to almost giving on the Airstream after one night. I was ready to put it on EBay with all issues disclosed and take a big loss.

Several thousand dollars in repairs later, we have a sealed roof, new sub floor, and new flooring, and have enjoyed many outings. From reading these forums I was aware of water issues but did not fully understand what to look for. And did we learn what an issue water can be! Lesson learned here, never trust the PO when they insist a camper does not leak, never has leaked, etc, and hire a third party to help with the inspection!

At least the first time out was the worst time out, and I hope it stays that way!
Old 10-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Sad tales, indeed ...
Old 10-01-2015, 03:42 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Oh No!!!
Attached Images

Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Hutto , Texas
While crossing the Confederation Bridge from Prince Edward Island to New Brunswick in 2013, my freshwater tank, pan and 50 gallons of water fell to the pavement between the axles of my 2007 Classic Limited. The tank and water was being pulled along by the pipes. The timing was inconvenient since the bridge is eight miles of one lane each way with no shoulders and no stopping -- 2500 miles from home.

With the help of a very kind bridge patrol officer, we unhooked or cut all the pipes and hoses, drained the tank into the ocean and threw it on the bed of our truck.

That afternoon in Halifax, I bought a PEX crimper and a handful fittings and patched together the pipes under the trailer to allow use of campground water.

I carried the tank to the nearest dealership -- in Lebanon, Maine -- where the service department took a full day to repair the plumbing and remount the tank.

We've had many other 'disasters' but that one sticks in my mind.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2604 View Post
While crossing the Confederation Bridge from Prince Edward Island to New Brunswick in 2013, my freshwater tank, pan and 50 gallons of water fell to the pavement between the axles of my 2007 Classic Limited. The tank and water was being pulled along by the pipes. The timing was inconvenient since the bridge is eight miles of one lane each way with no shoulders and no stopping -- 2500 miles from home.

With the help of a very kind bridge patrol officer, we unhooked or cut all the pipes and hoses, drained the tank into the ocean and threw it on the bed of our truck.

That afternoon in Halifax, I bought a PEX crimper and a handful fittings and patched together the pipes under the trailer to allow use of campground water.

I carried the tank to the nearest dealership -- in Lebanon, Maine -- where the service department took a full day to repair the plumbing and remount the tank.

We've had many other 'disasters' but that one sticks in my mind.

Wow, that one is a dandy! For some reason I am always overly concerned about causing inconvenience for others (For example, I can't understand why so many people in cashier lineups wait until presented with a figure of the amount that they owe before they start looking for their wallet or credit card - something I would never consider doing!)

For that reason, the thought of having an equipment breakdown on a causeway is something I dread! More for the problems I would cause to others than for my own misfortune!

My wife cannot understand my concern about these things - she is probably right!

Presume you had all the traffic substantially backed up while trying to get the tank out from under the trailer?

I haven't really had any disasters (touch wood) yet with our towing. The nearest I came was when backing into a site at Watkins Glen State Park a few years ago.

I had the trailer almost backed onto the site when I noticed a Park Ranger approaching our truck. I thought maybe I was on the wrong site so I stopped and got out to meet and talk to him as he approached.

Somehow I neglected to put the truck in park and managed to put in neutral instead - don't recall ever doing that before!

I had taken a couple of steps away from the truck towards the Ranger when he shouted and pointed at our rig.

Turning, I saw truck and trailer rolling backwards further into the site - my good lady wife who was at the back of the trailer was also shouting at me in a panic!

Luckily I had left the truck door open when I exited, and spurred by a burst of adrenalin leapt back into the drivers seat and jammed my foot on the brake.

My wife summoned me to the back of our trailer - it had stopped no more than two inches from a very substantial tree!

The Ranger just wanted to welcome us to the park! The rest of our stay went fine!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Ranchos de Taos , New Mexico
On a recent trip to Red Rocks in Colorado to see a concert I was long boarding around the campground, hit some sand on the paved road in a corner and took a tumble. This was a few hours before the concert. My wife, Nance, took me to the closest urgent care and found out I had a displaced 5th metatarsal in my right foot.

The doctor told me to follow up with an orthopedic doctor when I got home to determine if I needed surgery. I asked the doctor if I could go to the concert and he said it wasn't going to get more broken. So we got a pair of crutches and went to a great concert, Diana Krall and Pink Martini.

The next day Nance had to hook up the trailer, dump the tanks, etc. and drive 5 hours back to Taos, NM. She had never driven while towing the trailer and she did it like a pro!

Turns out I needed surgery to put two screws in. This was 7weeks ago and I just graduated from crutches to a cane but I will be in a walking boot for another 3 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xray.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	249450  
Old 10-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I can't understand why so many people in cashier lineups wait until presented with a figure of the amount that they owe before they start looking for their wallet or credit card - something I would never consider doing!)

Some people stand there with checkbook and pen- could've written the date, store name, and signature, but wait for the total to begin writing anything. Sometimes they look around for the name of the store or ask the cashier where they are/how to "make it out"- they don't even wonder or question until the total is given.
My wife says it is so they can watch every item scanned and verify that it rings up at the right price. That's all well and good, but... Quit using paper checks and get a debit card!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:59 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Mhoney, is that the worst thing that's happened to you while camping/towing (thread topic), or did you just need to get that off your mind.

;o) ;o)

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote