Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2016, 05:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Bellevue , Washington
What remedy when dealer unable to fix?

Purchased new 2012 Airstream Flying Cloud FB. Bought it rather than a used one thinking that I would have no issues with a new one. Had other problems but main one is discussed here.

The curtains on the passenger's side front and rear windows started showing large red areas. I took it to dealer to repair leak. Repaired under warranty. Six months or so later same exact issue - front and rear windows leaking - red stains on new curtains. The dealers kept it for three weeks. Fixed under Warranty. Six months or so later, same issue on front window. Dealer could not find leak, now trailer is no longer under warranty.

At this point I had lost faith in the trailer or the dealer's ability to fix it. I wanted it to be someone else's problem. What to do? Here are the options I considered: ask for my money back, ask for a new trailer, consult with attorney specializing in this work.

I did not do any of the above instead I traded my trailer for a used Interstate 3500 - losing a lot of money in the process. The dealer give me a wholesale trade in value around $50,000. The purchase price for the trailer had been almost $66,000. So I ate the negative equity in my new trailer (purchase price less trade in - not to mention the $6000 sales tax).

My trailer was sold to another party by the same dealership (different location). Before delivering the trailer the dealer found that the floor had to be replaced to the tune of $15,000. I assume they finally found the leak.

My better hindsight would have been to get a new trailer or get my money back even if it meant a lawsuit. Since I did not demand this, I will never know what the outcome would have been. The Interstate is beautiful and I love it, but it does not meet my current needs. (it is for sale on this forum).

Why bring it up now? To vent it and to encourage others to very carefully look at options when deciding what to do about their beautiful new airstream that isn't getting fixed. I hope this story is unique to me but I doubt it.
Gentle Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Thanks for sharing. I've read several similar stories. One gets attached to these things but sometimes there is no fix. Sometimes moving on is the best and only option.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:31 PM   #3
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I am pretty sure you will not be resolved untill you have a new Airstream. Tough story.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote

« Rugs | Top | 23D FC or 26U? »