Old 11-18-2011, 07:40 AM   #15

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Originally Posted by buzzkat View Post
I've been using a Holland Companion grill for three years with no problems. All stainless steel, indirect heat to the grill top. Here's a link to the Holland site;
Holland Grill

Yep....The Holland Companion has worked well for us.

Attached Images

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
This is an excellent question, and as “lewster” observed, “best is a highly subjective term”. Purists disdain gas, but I’ve been a “gassed” at home and on the road for over 40 years, and I’ve grown to appreciate its convenience. I think “best” is a matter of blending frequency of use, performance, convenience and storage. From my perspective, there are better performers than the grill I currently use, but I ration my storage space, and I’m not too keen on dedicating a large amount of Airstream storage space for a high-performing grill that I use from time. I used to use a small CharBroil grill, about the same size as those Olympians mentioned earlier. I liked the way it performed, but even though small, it occupied too much space, and I had to keep it in a large trash bag in my Airstream “boot” because it was dirty and greasy. I went the other extreme to Coleman’s “Road Trip Party Grill”. It disassembled and cleaned easily, and when collapsed it consumed little space tucked in its own supplied bag. It worked, and we used it for several years; unfortunately the burner was relatively small so the hot spot in the grill was dead center, causing me to move things around quite a bit to ensure proper cooking. I finally replaced it with Coleman’s small Fold N Go grill. Like the Party Grill, it folds compactly, but it doesn’t require assembly and disassembly for use. It has a much larger burner, and improved, albeit not fantastic uniform heating. Still, it cleans easily, and stores neatly in its own bag in the back of the Airstream. I’m satisfied with its overall blend of performance-convenience-storage, especially with my frequency of grilling use, but its weakest link is performance. Still, it is much more uniform than the Party Grill. If I were in the market today, I might take a look at Coleman’s “Perfect Flow Portable Grill”. Its dimensions are larger than the Fold N Go, but it’s flat and fairly thin…about like a Coleman gas stove, and may be better for more than two people. If size and storage space are not a concern, then others on this thread have offered excellent suggestions for better performing grills.

Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote