Old 10-30-2011, 05:54 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Snead , Alabama
Fly at Night, way cool. my best to you on using all the runway. Trying my best here to use all mine. I do not fly, but sailed all over, just moved my boat to Lake Guntersville, if ever down this way, we'll go sailing.

1099 Dailey Road, Snead, Al 35952
frankfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:19 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Snead , Alabama
Finished Skirt. Used heavy duty plastic sheets, cut all the curves just right to fit on trim area at bottom, used sticky gorilla tape to secure, 99% air tight, used bricks to hold down, it will work, but still looks rather ugly. Acetone will remove sticky tape stuff come spring. New Girard tankless water heater to be installed tomorrow. Guess ready for 2nd winter down on Burgit Hill in NE Alabama mountain area. I have premo view but way cold on top of little mountain. Good luck fellow full timers.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:03 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Hope the mods and work performed the past year or so keeps you comfortable this winter season there in Alabama, frankfarmer. Did you get the furnace and water heater operating up to snuff?
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Snead , Alabama
Replaced furnace motor last year, works OK but loud, burns a lot of gas. Installing new tankless water heater tomorrow, hope it works well, little 6 gallon unit gave me a headache last winter. Guess all OK, ready for 30 calves this winter, registered hereford breed, expensive however very proitable when grown/sold. Had tornado damage this spring, real fan crushed into top of AS, 11K insurance, I replaced with a 3 by 4 piece of aluminum sheet & replaced older big fan unit with fantastic fan, it looks good & works better really than old big fan. This limited 34 has taken a beating but keeps on ticking. Have great day down on beach at Corpus Christi.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:05 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I am guessing you have grid power at your location.

What ever you chose to make the skirt, I would place a couple light bulbs or maybe a small space heater under the trailer inside the skirt on the colder nights. It can't hurt.

I have some SOB friends that spend some winter weeks in Taos, NM. They have the custom skirt with a heater under the trailer. They rave about how much difference it makes.

Good Luck.
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:26 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Snead , Alabama
Thanks to all for advise.

All set for winter, after last year, the 2nd winter will be a piece of cake.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfarmer View Post
Fly at Night, way cool. my best to you on using all the runway. Trying my best here to use all mine. I do not fly, but sailed all over, just moved my boat to Lake Guntersville, if ever down this way, we'll go sailing.
frank, thank-you for the invite. I don't know if I'll ever get that far (at least with the Airstream) but it's nice to know someone has put the welcome mat out.

BTW, I am a farmer too; horses, not cattle. Am going to be selling the big farm and looking for something smaller. I was thinking of something like your set-up; Airstream in a shed with stalls on one side. Living under the same roof with my horses, so to speak.

Have a good winter with the moos. Glad you got it all skirted up.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I've read that post, too. It's a REALLY good post, and funny too.

Unfortunately I can't find it right now. But it's worth finding. I remember there was the initial post (very long but informative and fun to read), and then someone started another thread nominating that post for one of the best posts ever in the forums. I can't find either thread at the moment, but as I said it's very much worth the time for anyone who is going to be spending time in an Airstream over the winter. Even if you don't take all of his advice, or aren't doing it for more than a couple weeks, it gives great advice and insight.

http://www.marxrv.com/skp/survive.htm