Old 10-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Clearwater , Florida
The Airstream fulfilled a life long desire for me and my wife. No more pop-up campers. The most loved feature is the smell of freedom we experience whenever we step inside. Plus no faux hickory cabinetry.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:03 PM   #16
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
It's kind of like this with Airstreams. There are folks who think a car is just a tool to get from point A to point B. Well that's kind of true. But then there are automotive enthusiast and we think there is more than the function to the car. Does it have personality?

And so I feel the same way about the Airstream. It has personality, soul and character. There is something iconic and classic about their shape and design.

A Kia Soul might be nice and dandy but it isn't Porsche or a Corvette. And I'm sure that a Artic Fox is nice and dandy, but it isn't an Airstream either.

This kind of thing makes sense in the heart more than it does on paper.

Cheers

Old 10-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's streamlined shape and low profile slices through the air like a hot knife through butter, it's fully independent suspension and low center of gravity grips the road like it's on rails.

And it's iconic beautiful, timeless aluminum exterior never goes out of style while it's interior is gorgeous and filled with light.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:47 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
what do you love about Airstreams

We have had 4 other SOB trailers since the 70's. Each one we bought was larger than the previous one. We always wanted a trailer with an open feeling and large windows in order to give us a nice view of the nature around us.

We moved to a good used 2004, 30 foot Classic Airstream back in 2007 because:

1. We love the open feeling because of all the windows all around the trailer.
2. The layout is the best of all the trailers that we considered.
3. It is heavier than our last 28 foot SOB yet it tows much better and we use less gas because of the aerodynamic design.
4. Easier to keep clean on the outside.
5. Lower profile than some SOBs. I am 6'1"" and I do not have any problem with the shower, bed, couch etc.
6. We have put over 50,000 miles on it and had very few problems. We are very happy with it.
Wolf146
Old 10-15-2015, 05:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Besides the obvious quality & perfect towing ability, it's iconic, a classic like so many other American products, corvettes & such. When you see a corvette you immediately know it's a corvette, when you see an Airstream you know it's a Airstream, no other RV on the market or in the world for that matter has that recognition.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
Besides the obvious quality & perfect towing ability, it's iconic, a classic like so many other American products, corvettes & such. When you see a corvette you immediately know it's a corvette, when you see an Airstream you know it's a Airstream, no other RV on the market or in the world for that matter has that recognition.

Good point.

Same reason to like a Mustang, Frye boots, Black Hills Gold jewelry, Navajo silver and turquoise, button fly jeans, and a Kansas City strip steak.

It's the real, made in USA, authentic, deal.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:47 PM   #21
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
We love the CCD interior. It's not your Father's (or your Mom's) Airstream and has a wonderful retro-modern feel. At the same time it's iconic Americana, it feels more spacious inside than it is, it is easy to tow, and it is a great conversation-starter everywhere we go.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #22
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
My first TT was an Airstream and after walking through dozens of white boxes it was the first trailer I'd been in that frankly didn't give me visions of goats on the porch, diapers in the sink, no front teeth, living.

I like the timeless design, simple systems and there's just something about those rounded walls... I still smile when I step inside.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
The well-stated "iconic" shape combines form and function. The form makes a lot of people smile - perhaps it inspires them to travel and dream about new adventures, as it has us. The function makes it easy to be confident when towing. Having our little apartment that we tow behind us makes it easy to get away for an impromptu escape when we decide to grab a few days for ourselves. It's easy to tow, easy to set up, and easy to live with. We've made changes to adjust some things to match our needs, and that makes it exclusively ours and unlike anything else. That's what we love about our little Airstream.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I think the quality of the cabnetry is fantastic. Some of the hardware is lacking.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I was going to say towing, towing, towing, but Road Ruler beat me to it.

We had SOB white boxes for over twenty years. Had the joy of rebuilding sections of them to replace dry rot when there seams failed. (That joy bit was sarcasm)

The Airstream, while not perfect, makes me smile every time I hook it up, or come back to it in a campsite. Inside it's soothing. When I fire up the stove for the fist time after towing for hours with the propane off, the stove lights immediately. I love the led interior lights. The electric switch on the water heater works quickly and well, saving me from using my propane. I could go on, but you get the idea. We wanted one for twenty years, and we are very happy we finally got one. They are not everyone's cup of tea, and that is ok. The thing that is important is that you are happy with whatever you choose to spend your time with. Coffee, bacon and eggs taste the same whether you camp under the stars in a sleeping bag or in an Airstream.

Mike
Old 10-15-2015, 09:50 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Forestville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
My first TT was an Airstream and after walking through dozens of white boxes it was the first trailer I'd been in that frankly didn't give me visions of goats on the porch, diapers in the sink, no front teeth, living.

I like the timeless design, simple systems and there's just something about those rounded walls... I still smile when I step inside.

Nothing like stereotyping the poor.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvaug45 View Post
Nothing like stereotyping the poor.

Lets not find offense from a statement not meant to be offensive.

And besides, who says Janet was talking about poor folks? Maybe it is more offensive to assume she was....

Just sayin'

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What I like about our trailer is that the wife and I built it exactly like we wanted it without spending a pile of money.

It is way comfortable over long stays, and we can avoid Hotels all together!

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote