Old 01-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #15
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
So far the dealer where I bought my Stream has let me park for free. I am sure that will not last. Outdoors and dusty. Central California. Nice dealership by the way.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
If we had to pay storage we probably wouldn't have the trailer, however,

The ownership/rental of a lot in a campground could be cheaper.
We have a lot at the Airstream park in Crosssville, TN and the maintenance fee is significantly less than the storage costs listed in these threads, plus you can use the place as a getaway spot

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
In central Texas, the possibility of destructive hail is high enough that there is no way I will willingly store my trailer without shelter. There are too many Airstreams totaled by hail storms, including units owned by two friends.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Campground storage, basically a grass and concrete field attached to a campground - you can see it in the bottom left, where all the trailers are parked close together. Free water/dumping/power (no power at storage field, but they're ok to charge batteries etc). About 45 minutes from home, really nice and helpful Airstream owning owners.

We frequently stay overnight from Friday to Saturday when going away for the weekend, then hit the road really early on the Saturday morning and avoid all the traffic.

High fence, security monitored, all trailers need to be signed in and out. $74/month.

Winter storage at CanAm in secure compound, $30/month plus $ for winterizing and service/checkup before picking it up in spring. Yes, I could do this myself and save, but with three kids time is precious.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
I am amazed at what so many are paying for storage. Also having to lug supplies does not sound like fun. We store ours in our yard, plugged in. I am so glad that you storing your rigs are so dedicated to Airstreaming that you are willing to pay and haul. We are glad you are part of streaming and we look forward to seeing you down the road.
Safe Travels!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
John:

Same problem with hail here in Alberta. I've had a car totalled by hail in the last ten years, no fun at all.

IMO, the protection of covered storage is worth the rental cost I pay.

Rob
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Boston , Massachusetts
Stored at our dealer in Nashua, NH. Outside only with no amenities: $60/month. First year is free.

Same dealership offers garage storage in Maine (I think it's $95). Might consider that for next year.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
I am amazed at what so many are paying for storage.
We live in the downtown of one of North America's largest cities. I could not even get our trailer into our street, much less store it.

We are currently considering the purchase of five acres out of the city, but land is getting more and more expensive.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Boston , Massachusetts
Andy,

That's exactly what we ran into in Boston. Our 'hood is very dense with narrow streets. We can even drive ours into our neighborhood. Didn't have a choice but to store if we wanted one.

David
Old 01-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Five acres sounds wonderful! I hope you will have a little courtesy parking. We have room for a couple rigs here w w/e.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
We live in the downtown of one of North America's largest cities. I could not even get our trailer into our street, much less store it.

We are currently considering the purchase of five acres out of the city, but land is getting more and more expensive.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
I am amazed at what so many are paying for storage. Also having to lug supplies does not sound like fun.
We live downtown in a condo in the city. We knew if we wanted to buy one, we'd have to pay to store it, and that we'd have to lug everything back and forth. Bought it anyway.

The lugging back and forth hasn't been an issue. We load our small car with some clothes, some food, the dogs, and bikes on the roof rack. Drive to storage and transfer everything and go on our way. Reverse the process.

Except for the dogs and the bikes, we travel really light, so not really much else to bring. Sometimes the dog supply backpack is bigger than ours!

But next place we live, we'd love to have an on-property storage garage for Fiona. Would make things easier, and it'd be easier to fiddle around with stuff on her.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
I am amazed at what so many are paying for storage. Also having to lug supplies does not sound like fun. We store ours in our yard, plugged in.
I am happy for you but the brutal truth here is that many of us do not have this option available and so storage is a reality. I pay $30 a month for secure storage but it is outside. I have 24/7 availability which is important to me and after about 5 years, I haven't had an issue yet. I would like to have covered storage but then I would be looking at about $120 a month.

When preparing for a trip I bring it home and park it in front of the house. I can leave it there for a week or so to do maintenance, load the trailer and wash it. Longer than that and I feel as though am putting the neighbors out. This works for me.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Loading and unloading is no problem. The trailer is pretty much made ready in advance except for last-minute refrigerator items. If we are going anywhere but west, I simply drop by the house to do the final loading. Maximum distance penalty is less than 10 miles.

Going west, we just take the final items out with us in the truck, hook up, and go.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #28
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
As expected, the cost varies wildly depending on location.

Type of storage: Covered, on 3 sides - open in the front
Extras: Secure storage, access code required to get in. Some bays have electric. More on that in moment. They have centrally located water and dump facility.
Price per month: $185
What you like/dislike or wish you had: We like the security. We wish it was closer (roughly 30 minutes away). We'd love to have power (15 amps is fine) in our storage bay so we can more easily keep our batteries topped off. Access isn't 24 hours, but so far it seems sufficient - 5AM to 11PM. It's not cold enough here to make me wish for enclosed heated storage, though we're glad to have the roof so the trailer isn't being attacked by moss / mildew all winter due to the consistent rain. In summer our bay gets afternoon sun, which we're not crazy about. There is sufficient maneuvering room, which is good.

Electricity is not included, though we occasionally spend a couple of hours there and pirate enough electricity via an extension cord to charge up the batteries while puttering about the trailer. Slots with electric cost $30 more, but they're full up even though some nearby powered slots aren't using their electric...hence our ability to pirate a few ergs from time to time!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote