Old 11-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
The major problem you have already figured out.....

What happens if it turns out the life style you can not tolerate??

You really need a back-up plan but as far as being bored I just can't see that happening things just keep cropping up to take up your time some planned and some unplanned.

I am one of the "how in the world did I ever have time to work" as in a real job.

We have a home in OK and and a small stick house in MS with a RV pole barn.

I retired in 2003 and we are tired of trying to keep up the two places and will sell the OK house and "retire" (what ever that means) to MS where we have 40 acres and can keep up with a real garden that gets away from us every year.

Now when we take off in the camper it will be a vacation instead of running back and forth to do maintenance and up keep.

Longest we ever stayed in the camper was 4 months and was glad to have the MS house to go to. (Camper stays in MS under cover).

Today we are in OK, tomorrow we will be in MS, Thur we will take camper to Memphis, TN to help out with the grandkids for a month or so.

As for the cost taxes in rural MS on 40 acres (farm land) with house $400 yr. so having a permanent place does not have to be expensive.

For us having a place we call home seems to be important and having the camper to vacation in is priceless. We no longer take long trips there are plenty of places to go within 300-500 miles of MS home from the mountains (north) to the gulf coast (south).

Old 11-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Correct, two people, two kites. Each kite has four control lines, usually 100 or 120 feet long, depending on how many fliers are in line flying. They can fly any direction in any position. Sideways, backwards, diagonally, inverted etc. And yes, the lines to the kites do get twisted, and the kites do fly around each other creating "wraps". No problem. In an 8-10 mph wind these kites will go from 0 to 40 mph in one second and from 40 to 0 in 1/10 second, nearly an instant stop.

We fly in teams which have as many as sixteen fliers.

We have done many things during our lifetime, but this hobby has taken over our lives as much or more than anything except, perhaps, having children.

It gets us outside together, gives us lots of exercise, and takes us all over to fly at Kite Festivals.

Making kites of this type, and competing in hand crafted events at Festivals is another whole story.

The wind is free, and the kites don't take up much space.

Fun stuff

Old 11-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Well not to sound flippant, but I start the day with e-mails and phone calls. Days that do not require personal calls are filled with old rv parks throughout the western US that I can use my folding bike. I ride over 5 k miles/year @home and in another 1500 miles in Colorado so biking is a key time killer. Any idea that has ever made money was on a long ride lost in in time.

Currently in Arcata and lots of cool roads to explore. Still, those damn phone calls/ e mails are waiting. You ( FULLY) retired folks have my envy... I guess??
Old 11-11-2009, 06:00 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Leonardtown , Maryland
You may want to give some consideration to renting your home out. Put it in the hands of a "Trusted Agent", reale state company or a property manager. House hold belongings can be placed in storage. Try full timing for several years and if it does not work out come home.
As we get older so does out health. Being home with doctors and medical facilities we are comfortable with is a big concern.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
An interesting point...

I noticed that your from Gabriola Island. A friend of mine, here in Texas is has his Summer "Lot" on Gabriola" and Winter "Lot" here in Texas. Seems to work for him.......the problem is he can't seem to schedule the swapovers correctly and ends up with several airline roundtrips and ferry crossings.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
we bump into each other alot, complain about who is going to control the thermostat
and keep thinking we should have got a 34' with a slide out.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Gabriola , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I noticed that your from Gabriola Island. A friend of mine, here in Texas is has his Summer "Lot" on Gabriola" and Winter "Lot" here in Texas. Seems to work for him.......the problem is he can't seem to schedule the swapovers correctly and ends up with several airline roundtrips and ferry crossings.

Whoa, small world!
Yes, well living here in paradise does have it's drawbacks and the ferries are one of them.
We have a lot of friends who originate from "up here", who commute "down there" for the winter, and are kind of jealous of them (especially this time of year as it's getting wetter, darker and colder fast)

Is your friend on this forum? It's a small island, maybe I know them! Do they live in a TT full time, then, or just when they are up here?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Gabriola , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebee View Post
You may want to give some consideration to renting your home out. Put it in the hands of a "Trusted Agent", reale state company or a property manager. House hold belongings can be placed in storage. Try full timing for several years and if it does not work out come home.
As we get older so does out health. Being home with doctors and medical facilities we are comfortable with is a big concern.

Hmm, I added a thanks using the button, but it doesn't show up . . .
Anyway, thanks! These are good points.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #23
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dymndgyrl View Post
Hmm, I added a thanks using the button, but it doesn't show up . . .
Anyway, thanks! These are good points.
Members can only see their own thanks. To view the thanks you have received, click on "User CP" located on the blue bar at the top of the page.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Gabriola , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
we bump into each other alot, complain about who is going to control the thermostat

Lol! On an hourly basis?
Old 11-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
When things get like that for us, we just tell each other, you guessed it,

Go Fly a Kite!

and we do.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
doubles

My husband was an over the road steel hauler (self employed), He has his CDL. I keep teasing him that the only way I can go full time is if he hauls doubles down the road. One to live in and one for my hobbies ....rubberstamps, paper, ink etc., sewing machine and fabric, yarns and crochet hooks and needles....hmmmmmm.... We are retired but it may be a long time before we decide to go full time. LOL!!!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
Making any change good or bad is stressfull. You will never know if you like Airstreaming unless you try it. Before we retired we had a life similar to yours with a home, gardening, clubs, social network. volunteering and collecting. Over the past 6 years all of those things are still enjoyed in a smaller way and we have replaced some to them with seeing new places, meeting and making new friends. You have to kind of grow into it. Our original plan was similar to yours, have a couple of locations with basic services and go to them exclusively. But we have learned that doing that inhibits discovering new places and people. We are now work camping, my wife is an events coordinator and I do light mechanical Mr. fixit type jobs in an rv resort we like. We trade 28 hours a week between the two of us for a full hook up, all utilities including propane and free use of the laundry. Like one of the previous posts said we have more to do now than we did when we worked but we have a whole lot more fun doing what we want to where and when. Good luck, I hope you try out the gypsy life.