Old 03-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Went looking at new AS today

I went to a dealership today to look at new Airstreams for the first time.

Interesting how you have one expectations looking online and at pictures - it's a whole other matter looking in person. To say the least, pictures do not do these things justice. Athough I'm probably more undecided as to what I want now than I was yesterday.

This dealer was rather pathetic though. He only had 7 trailers. I was there an hour looking them over, and not a single person was seen or came out of the office to talk to me. The trailers were unlocked, so I assumed they were open, it was a saturday afternoon after all. Everything was filthy, inside and out. Although some units were 2012 and 2013, none had any hints of corrosion. Some paint fading on the water heater panels.

Looking at pictures, I was really wanting to look at a International Signature 25. They had one in the Onyx and a Bambi in the regular finish. I don't really care for either - too dark. The shiny finish made it better, but I think it's just too much.

I didn't expect to like the Flying Cloud, but I rather like it the best so far. I do like the upper cabinets on the International, but I like the finishes in the FC. I especially like the gold ultra leather. Funny, I don't think it's real leather at all, but it feels very nice. They didn't have a Serenity. I will have to travel to see it. Don't like the grayish leather you see in pictures. Think that scheme needs a tan or chocolate leather- but not the black.

I went thinking 23 would be the right size. I liked the 25 - could probably live with it. But the 27 is awesome, but is it too big? Heaps of storage and I really like the big pull-out pantry. I was worried going over there that the outside storage compartments would be tiny, but they are not at all. Certainly the pictures don't give you a good impression.

Unless I travel to Colonial, I probably will have to order - seems like what you find is either fully optioned, or just standard. So for this kind of scratch, I want to get exactly what I want. As soon as I figure out what that is.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
For that kind of scratch, get the one you like and will fit your lifestyle for years to come.

The Flying Cloud is the bargain deal. Very pleasant feeling and durable interior finishes, I'm sitting in ours right now and it always feels good (they all feel good, well maybe not the one with the purple floor). You could probably buy a FC 27 for the price of an Int'l 25. Or a fully optioned FC 25 for the price of an Int'l 25. The only difference is interior cabinets, fixtures, and finishes.

If it wasn't for the front bed which doesn't fit our lifestyle, I'd think hard about the Eddie Bauer. That open living area can be easily configured to recliner seating or leave as is. The big hatch provides versatility.

If you will ever spend months at a time in your trailer, think again about anything with bench style seating. Which is in virtually anything under 30' (they had a 23' front sofa, not sure if it's still in production).

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
That EB has a lot of appeal - I have bikes and kayaks and other stuff. You do give up a lot of storage, the cushions are thinner and you only have that one fabric choice. Still lots to consider. I'll be taking my time and looking at many more before I decide.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Take the road trip to Colonial. Just picked up our last week. The lot is full of choices, shoot they now have another facility down the street with even more inventory.
ProPride
NŘVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We bought our Eddie Bauer from Colonial even though we live in MI. They have great inventory and know their stuff. Also, they are very price competitive so the trip was definitely worthwhile.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
" I especially like the gold ultra leather. Funny, I don't think it's real leather at all, but it feels very nice."
============

We have a 2012 FC with gold ultra leather. Ours is 2-1/2 years old now. And we have 20,000 miles on it. The UL holds up really great. It is as tough as leather but a little softer. Cleans easily. And, we have a little dog who believes the ultra leather lounge his her personal play pen.

We got the UL because in our experience cloth is too easily stained in the wear spots. I think this UL will hold up for a long time. I have no idea why they call it gold. It looks like soft yellow to me.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vashon , Washington
We opted for a Flying Cloud 19' over the International series mainly because the FC had one more cabinet above the right side window in the back. And the more storage the better. This surprised our salesman who could not explain why AS omitted it in the International series. So I suggest checking out the differences closely. We also like the FC styling with the ultra leather...a nice design.
dprvashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
We started with a Sport 22 and upgraded to a FC 30' a few years later because we enjoyed it so much... The Sport 22' had a front bed, and it was the only true frustration. We quickly discovered that neither of us can make it through a full night without using the potty, and one of us was always crawling over the other to get out of bed.

I miss the maneuverability of the Sport, but the luxury of the 30' is wonderful. I occasionally find myself yearning for a customized mobile Airstream office now...
Old 03-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Wncrasher - We bought our Pete, a new Flying Cloud 27fb last November after trying to buy an '08 Safari 25fb (like the 25 I Sig floorplan you looked at). I've told this story before on AF, so search my posts if you're interested so I don't bore everyone again . On the Flying Cloud interior though, I can comment after re-reading your post.

Our Pete has the "light" woodgrain interior with gold UL and the darker laminate counters. At first it struck us as miles of tan........... But now, after I don't know, 35 nights of use?, we're quite happy with it. No pets with us, but an active 3yo grandson travels with us quite a bit, and I can tell you that milk and food wipes up nicely from the UL compared to the yr 2000 floral brocade cloth and deep green pile carpet in the class A we had. Sweep and swiffer the floor and camping dirt is gone. I think the FC interior is classic, simple, and will still be attractive in 10-15 yrs, as opposed to what we had that really looked dated.......... Hope this helps!

Oh and buy the 27' it costs to much to upgrade later!
Old 03-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Cool. How happy are you with the dark countertops? The trailer I looked at had them, and they were very shiny which is not something I expected looking at pictures. Do they scratch easy? That is one complaint I have with Corian, but have never encountered shiny laminate.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #11
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
We like the dark counters, and yes they are shiny. Shiny is good as all the light the skylight and vista views let in help the Airstream feel bigger inside. We're still experimenting with what to wipe them clean with, as they can streak some......... We haven't scratched anything yet, although we have to be careful because we're used to granite at home, and you can't hardly hurt it. We have to remember not to set a hot pan on the Airstream counters!

My only real complaint with the counters is that all the edge banding is sharp (again, another post ), but the dealer working our warranty punch list right now says they filed all the edges. so we'll see. Thanks to helpful folks on the forum, I know how to fix them if we're still not happy.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
wncrasher, which dealer did you visit? We have our Safari stored in covered storage in Greer at Delta Storage.

Out of Doors Mart in NC appears to have a good reputation. My trailer originally came from there but I have never visited that dealer.

Chilhowee over in Knoxville typically has a decent inventory. I stopped by there once to check out the new trailers. The salesman that I worked with there was very knowledgable of his inventory and Airstreams in general.

Colonial is always very highly recommended but it is a long way to drive from Greer to go looking at trailers.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #13
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens;1431717[I
]" I especially like the gold ultra leather. Funny, I don't think it's real leather at all, but it feels very nice[/I]."
============

We have a 2012 FC with gold ultra leather. Ours is 2-1/2 years old now. And we have 20,000 miles on it. The UL holds up really great. It is as tough as leather but a little softer. Cleans easily. And, we have a little dog who believes the ultra leather lounge his her personal play pen.

We got the UL because in our experience cloth is too easily stained in the wear spots. I think this UL will hold up for a long time. I have no idea why they call it gold. It looks like soft yellow to me.
I agree it looks and probably wears much better, but if you travel with cats, as we do, I expect it would be short lived. The woven cloth can conceal (heal) a claw mark, but in vinyl a hole will always be a hole.

https://www.ultrafabricsllc.com/Site/SubCollection/1/

"Ultrafabrics® is a pioneer in the polyurethane synthetic leather industry, specializing in the engineering, manufacturing and distribution of the highest quality polyurethane fabrics on the market".

Ken
Old 03-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We have the golden ultraleather and travel with a cat. We put towels on the couch. I know claws scratch authentic leather because we have a leather couch in our living room at the stick and brick house.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote