Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Well, I finally got an Airstream I could afford.

Well I got a good price on this Airstream. Thought they were long out of production, but a vendor has them brand new. Think it looks good hooked up to my old Imperial. If you want one, you can get one here: Diecast Models Wholesale

wncrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Seriously cute!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Is that the one the show with the '67 Chevy Impala?
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I just ordered one, I wasn't going to, but the inside is all done and I can always practice my backing up.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I got the little one with the impala for each of my grandsons. I think I'd be a little hesitant to let them play crash-up with a $100 toy :-) The big one IS super cute!!!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Very cute - tagging thread so I can find this link again
Thanks for the heads up. I think I will order the larger one but will also need a nice TV to display with it. Now I just need to figure out that should be?
Thanks again
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
This guy might be interested!

Old 12-04-2014, 04:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
A friend found this old Franklin Mint 1968 Soveriegn model at a thrift store and gave it to me! I might have to have this little bubble model to add to my collection. It is an Airstream I can afford.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-06 02.42.31.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	228011  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I went to the website and looked (Lead a snot into temptation!)

I entered "search" and "Airstream" to find the finely detailed scale model - and noticed that the WBCCI number on the picture was different than the one you bought. If it's a limited edition I wonder if they put a different number on each one to identify the production sequence. I then shopped for a vintage tow vehicle - looking for a red and white 57 Chevy Nomad but didn't find that color combo.... then temptation struck and I decided to look for a 56 - 58 Caddy in PINK. Well they didn't have that one, but I looked hard at the lavender one.

Then it hit me. I fulltime. I just spent last week going through the "sorting of the wardrobe" - I really have to watch my tendency to acquire stuff. It's a real challenge to realize "can afford" will always conflict with "where will I put it?"

I grew up quite poor and didn't reach "comfortable" until I was in my late forties. It wasn't until I bought a Lexus that I realized that nice stuff makes you happy for somewhere between a week and six months - then it's just more stuff, whether it's expensive, moderately priced or cheap junk. I never hated the Lexus - it was a nice little SUV, it impressed most of my friends, but after a while it was "just transportation." It's so easy to forget that the thrill will never outlast the payment book.

So I looked at the cute little model and all of the other cute stuff I already have collecting dust. I thought about having to store it in the convection microwave when I travel, or alternately throw out all my flamingos or nice blanket or two - and emptied the shopping cart.

I did thoroughly enjoy looking at your model. I can always copy the picture on my phone and show people. I enjoy your enjoyment. That is a very cute scale model and the roof never leaks (Thank Goodness, could you imagine trying to get a neat caulk line on those roof seams!?)

Paula
Old 12-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
I'm a big diecast collector. Almost exclusively 1/18 scale. I have nearly 500 models now.

Yes, the trailers are numbered. Each one is numbered in sequence of the number produced. So I suspect mine is 2701 of 3000 made. It's not branded Airstream. The one pictures by the other poster is 1/24 scale, which I don't collect.

If you look into diecast a bit, you'll find that all of these models (they certainly aren't toys) are made in batches. Sometimes a particular model is made for a while in one color, it goes out of production for years, then it is brought back in another color. Serious collectors (and there are forums) will poke fun at models offered in colors that were never produced by the automakers, and fret that some highly desired colors are never produced. Some models actually are licensed (like Ferraris) and must comply with all their standards for accuracy and colors. The "Airstream" I shared with you all is certainly unlicensed, and probably would be considered by Thor is a copyright violation.

Most are made in small batches - 500 to 5000 copies - and then the molds are put away. That adds to the "fun" of collecting - trying to find models you want - and drives a very robust used market on ebay.

Prices range all over the place - I've paid $12 for some, and over $700 for others. Rarity and the quality of the model are key to it's value. They are made all over the world - here in the US, Germany, France, and mostly China.

FWIW - Nomads are hard to come by and very sought after. I have a cheap one in my collection, but always have an eye out for a better example. Surprisingly, 57 Bel Air is also hard to find. But if you want a Cadillac, here is the red one I just got - I waited a LONG time to find this one:

Old 12-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #11
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
wncrasher - One of the nice things about the world's human count being in the billions is there is another individual who shares your interests/hobbies, or at least a piece of it, somewhere on the planet. Lucky for us, the internet came along to help folks find one another and uncover where those "peccadilloes" actually intersect with another's. Thanks for the peek into the world of model collectors.

FYI, your Caddy is a nice addition.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Watch out ordering this

Within a half hour of ordering from Die Cast Models I had a call from Fraud detection from my credit card company asking about a charge to "Die Cast Models" and "MGM" The Die Cast Models was fine, but I hadn't signed up for anything from MGM so it looked like a test charge that would likely be followed by a larger fraud. So I got to cancel my card and now will have to contact all of the auto charges to reset the number again...
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:37 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Well, I've ordered from them for years, spending many thousands, without a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums