Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minnetrista , MN
Weber Q 1000 review

Greetings, Our previous camper included an outdoor grill (unsatisfactory) so when we purchased our Flying Cloud 25FB this year I went on the hunt for a new grill. I landed on the Weber Q1000. We are happy with it so I made a review video which includes cooking dinner (T-bone) and breakfast. I thought you might enjoy.
https://youtu.be/l5CVXV70RSw
Wesair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I enjoyed your video and also enjoy my Q1000. One thing I will caution you about is to secure the grills carefully when you are traveling. We keep them in a separate cardboard box. With my first Q1000, the grills fell down into the heating elements as we were traveling and smashed them up. It seemed like it would be more trouble and expense than it was worth to replace them, so I just bought another Q1000 the next time I found one on sale.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Great video - thanks for posting!
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minnetrista , MN
Thanks for the comments. Someone pointed out that it is really a Q1200. My bad, they are right. The difference is that the 1200 has a thermometer, electronic ignition, and fold out tables. Otherwise I think they are the same.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:51 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Elevate Portable Gas Grill, 14,000 BTU

I hope you don't mind my listing my favorite small grill - the Elevate portable grill:
https://www.amazon.com/Elevate-Porta...=elevate+grill

I bought mine at Campers World and just love it! It's the 3d or 4th portable grill I've bought and it's by far the best. It gets screaming hot and the two burners can be at different temps or you can use just one.

There is no cover, but I got a couple of AL pans and use them as lids when I need them. You have to be careful with things like corn or they will roll off. I'm going to try putting a piece of AL foil under the grate on two sides to make a kind of side for it and see if that works better for corn.

Being able to store the gas canister in the unit is very convenient also. For this much grilling surface area, it folds and stores very small. The handles make the legs when it's open.

The burners have metal trays under them to catch drips and aid in clean up, and the trays even have a kind of pocket in them so that any grease is trapped if you fold it up before you clean it out. They really did think of everything.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I have been using a Q-1000 series since 2007. I love the thing. One of my RV friends had a SOB gas grill. We cooked side by side one evening. He was so impressed with the Q he bought one in town the next day.
I gave my old Q to my son a few years ago. He still uses it. I replaced it with the model you have.
I bought the wheeled storage bag for it. I can store an extra cylinder and grill brush in it.
The 1000 series is perfect size for my wife and I.
I will look into a griddle. Thanks for the review.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
It's also easy to convert a Weber Q to use the (low pressure) quick connect propane on your Airstream. Then you won't need the small gas bottles anymore.

Remove the regulator and replace it with these two parts:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B007HG7W...I1CNJ762NXSQKF

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004VT4L...I19V66Q7U6RA80

Use Gas Line Pipe Thread Tape to connect the parts.

Add this hose and you will be all set:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00CPYC9...CQI7YWDQ&psc=1
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:12 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
I bought a 2 gallon propane tank and hose and it works great and nice to not be changing canisters all the time!
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
We bought a Q1200 this spring and have been pretty unhappy with it. My main issue is it just does not get hot enough to sear a good steak.

I appreciate it is pretty popular here; but it does not really do what WE want it to.

For grille number five (the Q1200 was #4 ) we bought a Weber Grille Anywhere charcoal grille. It's small compact square foot print seems a good match for the tote box in the truck. Plus we're going back to charcoal, which we've had good luck with, heat wise, in the past.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
We bought a Q1200 this spring and have been pretty unhappy with it. My main issue is it just does not get hot enough to sear a good steak.

I appreciate it is pretty popular here; but it does not really do what WE want it to.

For grille number five (the Q1200 was #4 ) we bought a Weber Grille Anywhere charcoal grille. It's small compact square foot print seems a good match for the tote box in the truck. Plus we're going back to charcoal, which we've had good luck with, heat wise, in the past.
I bought a Smokey Joe Weber charcoal grill. Cooks better than the Q1000 which I now leave at home. You can even shut off the Weber (don't pack it til the next day though!) and re use the charcoal. I carry it in a plastic tote in the bed of the truck.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
For convenience I go with gas ( have a Weber 1200), for taste I like wood and 3rd, charcoal. Now a question; has anyone looked at or tried the Traeger pellet grill in the tail gate model? ($229.00)
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:55 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Kennesaw , Georgia
I was unhappy with my Weber Q1200 & sold it while still in mint condition. In my case I thought it took up too much room and had no case or transport cover. My replacement is an O Grille and I am very pleased with its performane and ease of packing. The later models include a handy travel bag that makes storage a breeze.
dugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:42 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
hellertown , Pennsylvania
Enjoyed your video, I have one model that is very similar. The O grill from LLbean. I like using the small bottles of propane, kinda gives you a a handle on your 20# bottle as to how much your using just to run the trailer appliances. I do not have an Airstream but a small 16' FG Scamp for the last two years, in fact first one ever and I am in my 70's, so I am just learning. Just enough room for the two of us and our Golden. Thanks for sharing, even if you did scare me with your halloween video, hope I never find a wild animal in my hatch like you did. Carl
carlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:04 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post

I had some issues with the grill before I converted it to low pressure. The stock regulator on the Weber Q can be too restrictive and can also go into a mode where it detects too much pressure and locks up. I get much better gas flow after removing the regulator from the grill. I also purchased a hose with a regulator on it to connect to connect directly to stand alone tanks and it works better than the stock regulator.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I think the Traeger or any wood pellet is better, but I wonder if they are portable enough. I would have to see size and weight, but I really like the Green Mountain Davy Crockett $350.

I have a Traeger at home and love it. I currently use the Q1200 and it does fine. I will be looking into taking the regulator off to use the LP tanks. I also find it doesn't heat very well on the small bottles.
Troutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minnetrista , MN
There are lots of good options and what is best is going to be a personal decision. Whatever you use it is bound to be a better experience than staying at home.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I've used a Weber Q 1200 or 2200 (I forget which...it's fairly big and has the thermometer built in) for years now. Have had great luck with it. No problems of any kind. Got tired of the little Coleman bottles and bought an adapter hose and a 20lb bottle. I get about two years out of a 20lb bottle. But the little Coleman bottles are more convenient. Charcoal always tastes better....but after our first outing at Camp Hatteras where the wind blows 40mph and I had major trouble even lighting the Weber Smokey Joe charcoal grill....the Q now has its place. I try to pack both of them
Old 11-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
For convenience I go with gas ( have a Weber 1200), for taste I like wood and 3rd, charcoal. Now a question; has anyone looked at or tried the Traeger pellet grill in the tail gate model? ($229.00)
mike

I use a Traeger PTG. I like the smoke flavor and since it's electric it's as easy as a tasteless gas grill. The only issue is you cannot sear on it. It more like a convection oven. Bacon on it is great. Seafood great, ribs are wonderful. Pork is very good too.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #19
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
I've used a Weber Q 1200 or 2200 (I forget which...it's fairly big and has the thermometer built in) for years now. Have had great luck with it. No problems of any kind. Got tired of the little Coleman bottles and bought an adapter hose and a 20lb bottle. I get about two years out of a 20lb bottle. But the little Coleman bottles are more convenient. Charcoal always tastes better....but after our first outing at Camp Hatteras where the wind blows 40mph and I had major trouble even lighting the Weber Smokey Joe charcoal grill....the Q now has its place. I try to pack both of them
I leave mine in the bed of my truck and just use an extended cable from the Airstream propane quickconnect straight into the grill. I cook right on the tailgate.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote