Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Electronic drums are certainly an option but not necessarily less space depending on configuration and speaker(s). I have small accustic set that works well for "small venues."
RichP21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Well said RichP21. Of course Real equipment real player certainly best if you can bring it or enlist when inspiration strikes. Otherwise, the lonesome guitarist or other instrument needing some background accompaniment, a compact 12volt friend as Boss Dr. 770 or 880 or like into house speakers could "fill" a rhythm void or live pad played, although surely less feel.... should the real deal not to be found or rockin another campsite.��
2020 GMC Sierra Denali Diesel 2500 4X4 10 spd 3.43 Int sway/tow controller
1981 Honda Trail CT110 1X0..no sway control
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
There's always room for a mandolin. They're better for close combat.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Ya'll should check out Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park in Live Oak, Florida. Music lives there.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2010 International 534
Rotherham , Yorkshire
I'll just stick with my J200 and a voice reinforced by a lifetime of singing with rock bands. All this talk of amplifiers? Don't need 'em. Where are you playing, Wembley Stadium? Just go accoustic and enjoy that natural sound. Save the amps for the big gigs.
old gray cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
So right. Just cause you could, doesn't mean you should... amp wise. After all, the AS is by nature self contained and honest as a flat top.
2020 GMC Sierra Denali Diesel 2500 4X4 10 spd 3.43 Int sway/tow controller
1981 Honda Trail CT110 1X0..no sway control
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:20 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Argosy Mobile Studio

I have recorded entire songs in my Argosy…..when the weather is nice. The furnace is too noisy, and electric heaters mess with the electronics. I leave the fridge off so that the counter doesn't get warm, and I can use that surface for computer and mixer. I have also used the Argosy as a vocal booth. I like privacy when recording vocals.

But I say…..play outside. Music is for sharing, and bringing people together. An audience should help keep the focus, and bring out the best in a musician.

I do most of my camping at Bluegrass festivals. Usually I don't get through one song with out musicians and singers joining in, then it turns into a party.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
You folks make me jealous. I need to learn some jammin' stuff! I don't find that a crowd of other players shows up to help with Gavotte. Although, Jethro Tull played a mean Bouree. Thanks for all your suggestions and interest. Dave
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Jamming uses the KISS principle- keep it simple

John Lennon said Rock and Roll should be like a chair…..that anyone could sit in. Folk music is music that folks can play. At Bluegrass festivals and gatherings, it is considered rude to play complicated songs, that people can't join in on. ( most bluegrass songs are 3 chords ) You may think it would be boring…..until you start a song by yourself….and by the end of the song there is perfect three part harmony, a fiddle, a mandolin, a banjo, a dobro, up right bass, and a few guitarist backing you up. Quite often total strangers.

I don't always play Bluegrass, but I ALWAYS have a couple of easy, familiar songs to play.

I know that Jazz is a different bird, but it started out as a Jam session ( J azz A after M idnight ) Mostly musicians playing for each other. I used to tell my guys…you are not playing to please yourself, or your 2 musician friends in the audience. You are playing for the audience ( and the bar owner, and the girl that caught your eye ha ha )

Dave, you can't believe how some Jazz musicians get turned on to Bluegrass….and RIP IT UP!!!! A friend of mine, John Carlini, an accomplished
Jazz guitarist, former Musical Director of The Ice Capades, plays a Bluegrass banjo that would knock your socks off.

I am not really trying to sell you on Bluegrass, just encouraging you to get out of the camper and " mix it up " with some friends that you haven't met yet.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:12 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
All good information and appreciate. I do sing a bit and do use cords for that ... Hmmm? Maybe I need to expand my horizons. I tend to be a serious sort of guy who could use some "lightening-up." Thanks for the push in a good direction. Dave
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:44 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Great discussion. What fun! I see that many of you are across the country - I hail from SC. Hope to meet you on the road some day and have my drum kit with me - bluegrass, country, rock - all good genres!
RichP21 is offline   Reply With Quote