Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
We finally did it!

We have been thinking of buying an AS for several years. We have looked at various models at several different dealers, read the AS catalogue till the pages were dog eared, and collected an infinite amount of information on this excellent forum.

We were several days away from buying a 2015 25' FC rear twin when I came across a 2009 25' FB International Ocean Breeze twin on the Air Forums Classifieds. We were almost too late as someone had made a deal but failed to make the required down payment. We were next in line and went to see it in person on Memorial Day. We found it to be in excellent condition. We struck a deal and are now working on getting it home. The folks who are selling it are going over and beyond to be helpful and it is greatly appreciated. It makes us feel good that they "are delighted that our beloved trailer will be sailing on with such a great and deserving crew" (their words)! I'm not sure how deserving we are but I guess our enthusiasm and joy was clearly evident.

Needless to say we are excited (albeit somewhat intimidated) about finally having our own AS. And we feel good that our first AS is a preowned model which give us a less expensive learning experience.

Thanks to everyone for your answers to my numerous questions, past and future!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Welcome aboard! Ask the previous caretaker ( you don't really "own" Airstreams), all you can.... Warranty, personal experiences, etc. if they share pics of their adventures perhaps you can make a scrapbook.... Then Add your own.

Next, have the bearings and brakes checked if you can't do yourself. If tires are old (over 2 years) consider replacing.

Have fun!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:57 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Congratulations!

Welcome fellow AS'ers! Happy to see you have joined this beloved fellowship of great souls. Isn't it great to know your previous owner really cares for who buys his/her rig? Our PO was like that, and it REALLY makes a difference when you find one that has been so loved and had a great owner. As CWF suggests, do get the info of where your new-to-you rig has travelled and continue to log your travels & experiences. It's priceless information, that really adds character to your AS.

He's spot on about the tires & bearings. Most important for her to happily roll down the roads you travel! On your first outing, camp close to your home, and don't over plan the event. Just get out there, and take lots of mental notes as you stop & camp. Don't go out & buy a ton of stuff that you probably don't need. Get out there, and THEN compose your list after watching other campers and what they use. Your needs/wants will become apparent quickly. It's a learning curve, but it's a FUN learning curve. Very happy for you. May all of your travels be safe & enjoyable, and best of luck to you in the future!
Hopefully, we will...
Sea ya down the road,
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:26 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Ahh. My wife and I know that feeling. Several years of reading, learning, wondering and fretting. Then you find the trailer that just feels right. We are so new at this that you will not want to listen to our advice ... Except for one thing ... This is a glorious experience. Welcome from another newbie.
trakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #5
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Enjoy your new addition. The comments about checking the brakes & bearings are worth noting and reacting to unless the prior owner can show a receipt demonstrating a fairly recent service. As for the tires, I think a two year expiration is questionable as advice.

Each tire will have a manufacture date molded into the sidewall and that should be used as the clock start date for four years of life. If you are worried about having a failure, then replacement at three years will suffice as precautionary in my view. There are many who might post otherwise (I support each to their own) but buying four tires every two years seems excessive to me. I replace at 4.5 years and keep my tires covered whenever parked.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:34 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Denver/Boulder , Colorado
piling on...welcome from another newbie....the AS forum has been awesome, glad you are joining in.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:34 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Congratulation! The Ocean Breeze is a great model. Love the look! How great that you found a well-cared-for Airstream.

Good advice so far. The best advice is to get out and use it.

Stan
Salt Lake City
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:38 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Yorba Linda , California
Yet another newbie! Can't sleep tonite...taking our new Flying Cloud 27 FB Twin on its maiden voyage starting tomorrow. The forum has been great as we also spent months enjoying the experience of researching, visiting dealerships, meeting owners and finally getting up the courage to take the plunge. You Tube has also been helpful with its endless video advice. Well...tomorrow's the day...backing into my first camp space then working thru all the processes and systems. Too exciting...STILL CANT SLEEP. BEST OF LUCK WITH YOUR NEW AS. Hope your night before is as exciting as mine.
merchantmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Now we can have a two AS caravan since you are so close! Sounds like you are getting a good deal.
Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
Now you can see if there are any spots left at the WDCU rally at the Delaware Seashore State Park on June 12. Come hang out with more Airstreams.

-Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Congrats!!!
Old 05-29-2015, 11:30 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Congratulations and enjoy your Airstream.
ukulele2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:43 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
Welcome to the AS community! One of the most valuable assets to owning an AS is the community of AS owners. We have had sooooo many experiences where other AS owners have unselfishly shared their time and knowledge with us. We are relative "newbies" we purchased our 2015 28 Ft. Flying Cloud last August. I have said many times I don't know if we bought the correct floor plan, model or length but I know that we purchased the correct brand.

We did enough research to know that the AS was good mechanically but we did not know how about the AS community. If I had to give up the owner community or the AS trailer it would be a tough decision but I think that I would give up the "tin". I could get by with less quality in the trailer, although I would not want to, but the most valuable asset is the AS owners who share their knowledge and experience with us "newbies". We did not know about or expect it but it is a tremendous added value.

Ask any question and you will get knowledgeable answers.
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Avila Beach , California
Congratulations, and congratulations again. You are in for wonderful experience with a "family" you have actually chosen. We have had our "Dream" for just over a year, and the places we've gone and especially the family we've met in this short time is amazing. This is a rather common refrain of those who have chosen as we have.
Enjoy and good luck!

"don't let life get in the way of living"
LOGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
From an OLD Salt, Batten down the hatched and go for it.
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #16
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Thanks to all for your comments. They are appreciated.

This is a great forum with so many helpful people. It makes the experience of being an AS caretaker so much more enjoyable.

Relative to comments about the brakes and wheel bearings, the brakes were replaced last year and the bearing checked and repacked at the same time. The tires have good tread and where new in 2012. The batteries are from 2012 as well.

We have already started planning our first trip.

Again, thanks to all!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Coppell , Texas
We just made the plunge too. Bought a 2008 27FB Classic. These forums are wonderful and so informative. And every Airstream we considered was almost immaculate. No other RV owners take such good care of their assets.

We are looking forward to meeting the AS group out on the road.

Coolbreeze
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:34 PM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Congratulations on your great find. That's a great floor plan. We have had two of them, an '05 Safari, and now a '15 Flying Cloud. We have spent 1,400 nights in 25FB's and can certify that they are very comfortable.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:30 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I was in your place 5 years ago. We have had a great time in our AS. Jackson Center is a great place to get work done and as you know, the AS community is wonderful. Welcome and good luck.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:35 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Beaufort , South Carolina
Congratulations on your new AS purchase. Enjoy it. I agree, this Air Forums is very helpful, with so much info. I can't wait till I find what I'm looking for too.
SIWELC is offline   Reply With Quote