Old 02-19-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Watching TV in a FB Floorplan

I know this has been discussed a lot. I really like the 27FB floor plan but am concerned about watching tv. It seems that there is no good way (short of taking the table down each time) to get a straight on view of the tv. I would be interested in hearing from owners if this is a big deal or not.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
That and the uncomfortable bench seating led us to remove all the dinette/lounge furniture in our 25' front dinette and install reclining chairs and side table. Easy to do in our model, not so easy in the FB because of the furnace location.

Take a look at the 28' rear bed model which is the same length as the 27'. The 30' has a couple of seating options that are better.

As popular as the 25/27' Airstreams are it is too bad Airstream can't offer comfortable seating in them. They look really good and seem to accommodate a small crowd on the sales floor but can be a disappointment in extended use.

dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I have a 25FB and seating is a problem, comfortable seating that is. When on longer trips it becomes more noticeable for us. We just put pillows behind our backs and put our feet up on the bench. We typically do not watch a lot of television but when on the road we do more of this.

If money were no object, I think the answer would be a new 30 with the two built in recliners. I don't want to remove our table because we do like to eat there, play games and visit with friends over a meal.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:56 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We had a 25FB that we spent over 1,300 nights in. The dinette/TV area is the same layout as the 27FB. We never had any trouble watching TV. We just put a couple of pillows at the window end of the dinette, and watched TV with our feet up on the dinette benches. I sat on the couch side and would often fall asleep while watching TV.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Our use of the rear dinette area for watching is similar to Moosetags. The dinette area is our office, coffee/dine/wine area, web browsing and TV watching area. An extra pillow for the back bulkhead is nice, so only real negative I've noticed for reclining there is that the curbside bottom cushion tends to slide out (needs bigger velcro patch).

We just do not watch much TV however.

I think a couple of recliners or couch would work well too since we do not mind eating while sitting on the couch. We have talked about this some but are leaning toward just one day adding a small LCD TV in the bedroom for lying back for watching a long movie. (hint: my wife does not so much like idea of recliners)

Everything is a tradoff in such small spaces. With the Airstream layouts they all tend to be good tradoffs - my advice is don't over-think it
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
my advice is don't over-think it
Now, that is probably the best advice of all!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Bend , Oregon
Gauchos are Inhumane

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
That and the uncomfortable bench seating led us to remove all the dinette/lounge furniture in our 25' front dinette and install reclining chairs and side table. Easy to do in our model, not so easy in the FB because of the furnace location.

Take a look at the 28' rear bed model which is the same length as the 27'. The 30' has a couple of seating options that are better.

As popular as the 25/27' Airstreams are it is too bad Airstream can't offer comfortable seating in them. They look really good and seem to accommodate a small crowd on the sales floor but can be a disappointment in extended use.
Doug is spot-on. The TV fits nicely on the little cabinet in our old 25 footer - but sitting on the gaucho to watch it may cripple me permanently. I have a little home theater at home with four comfy leather recliners. The fisrt thing I'm going to do when I get back in June is rip out the gaucho with gusto and install two of the theater recliners. I'm tempted to drive to Oregon from Arizona right now to pick them up.

What were they thinking with the gaucho?! It doesn't do anything well. Sitting on it for longer than an hour requires a trip to the hot tub. I imagine sleeping on it would require all out physical therapy.

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post
The fisrt thing I'm going to do when I get back in June is rip out the gaucho with gusto and install two of the theater recliners.
Poppy
Is there enough room in the 25/27FB to install recliners? I had assumed there isn't and that's why they are only offered in the 30'.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Is there enough room in the 25/27FB to install recliners? I had assumed there isn't and that's why they are only offered in the 30'.
We had Airstream Service Center install the front components of the 30' recliner model in the front of our 2012 25' Rear Bed (note that on the Front Bed 25/27 the furnace is in the location of the folding table shown here). The width of all 25' - 31' late model Airstreams is the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5724.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	205940  
Old 02-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Windsor , Connecticut
Quote:

We are attempting something similar to Doug's approach but Airstream thought only 1 recliner would fit well in our 27FB (Doug's is RB). We'll put the recliner on curb side near the entry door and leave the couch as is on street side but cut down the width of the inning table or remove entirely in favor of folding tables for eating.

Really - that set up is atrocious :-)

But I L O V E my Airstream!!!!!! :-)
Old 02-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There are various solutions to this depending on the particular Airstream model. I was looking at a Eddie Bauer 27' and it looked like the furnace would be out of the way of a recliner retrofit. The single recliner on the entrance door side is a real easy and reversible modification and is quite popular, several have been posted here.

This is a better look at the folding table up against the wall on our 25' Rear Bed. The cabinet alongside was built by Airstream Service Center using Flying Cloud materials to match existing furnishings. The former lounge is gone and we don't miss it, but it's just the two of us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5709.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	205942  
Old 02-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
I think the theater recliners are smaller than normal recliners. I measured them and the trailer and they fit nicely even with a small middle console. I bought them from La-Z-Boy several years ago.

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Just curious; is the television in question mounted on a long, swing arm? I added a flat panel TV on a swing arm in our 19' Bambi, and it swings out and turns around so it can be viewed from either the dining table in the bow of our Airstream, or the "bedroom" at the stern. However, the layout in 19-foot models is quite a bit different form the Airstream models being discussed.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
And Doug, how big is that TV set ?