Old 03-24-2016, 11:19 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
We started out with the 12" round, 6" deep plastic pans and would fill one with water for rinsing and the other keep in the sink to wash. We just used a microfiber pad to set dishes on to dry, and would wipe out larger items and store as washed. We would throw out the dishwater, to keep the gray from filling. We have since moved to a collapsible, rectangular drain dish rack and collapsible pan from Amazon. This works much better; we still use one round dish pan to wash and we now spray off in dish rack and dump out both pans when done, collapse and put away. Paper plates are also used a lot; we have velcroed a paper plate holder and napkin holder under the cabinets above the lounge/dinning area for easy access. The real solution of course, is AS to get back to the rectangular sinks like they used to offer...(Sorry for the picture size shown...did not know how to size from snapshot at Amazon) :-(

Old 03-24-2016, 01:13 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I forgot to mention that I set my plastic drying rack on a dishtowel while going through the whole rinsing process. I then use the towel to hand dry any remaining moisture. The drying rack ends up being handy in the cabinet to keep cups/mugs in place during travel. It gets packed fairly tightly and the mugs are set in it to keep them from flying around. They are isolated from the bottom surface of the cabinet and also isolated from crashing into each other. When I contemplated getting a new folding, put-away drying rack, it occurred to me that I'd lose this functionality, so I've kept the plastic rack.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:17 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
santa rosa , California
what's a quick reply?
Old 04-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
I really miss the double sinks that my previous RVs had. One to wash, one to rinse/disinfect, and a drain tray on the counter. Airstream used to provide double sinks on certain models, but it looks like they are 'cheaping out' on sinks as well as other things.
BOOO!
Old 04-23-2016, 09:13 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
I really miss the double sinks that my previous RVs had. One to wash, one to rinse/disinfect, and a drain tray on the counter. Airstream used to provide double sinks on certain models, but it looks like they are 'cheaping out' on sinks as well as other things.
BOOO!
. We miss the double sinks also we had on earlier 25' models! They clearly do not have a women on their design team it seams.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
BOOO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
. We miss the double sinks also we had on earlier 25' models! They clearly do not have a women on their design team it seams.

Hi, I'm sure happy with my Safari's double sinks. 2005 was a good year.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:25 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
I bought a dish rack that collapses like that tub (Lowes -like Home Depot) and an extra long drying mat at WalMart. I have a tub from WalMart that had I used in my Rpod to soak items and then rinsed them in the sink. The collapsible tub looks interesting. I also bought a chrome sink bottom rack to go in the round sink so water drains off items you drain on it in the sink just like my big sink at home. It is rectangular but covers most of the round sink bottom.
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:30 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The collapsible tub is handy for many things, and stores easily.

Right now is a good time to find round "dish pans" at WalMart...many pretty colors, in the area for patio ware and pic-a-nic-ing.

Maggie
Old 04-24-2016, 06:38 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our 2014 Classic came with the double kitchen sink. They are small and shallow. The single round deep stainless sink in the 23D allows for easier washing. (Husband speaking)

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:55 AM   #38
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Our 2014 Classic came with the double kitchen sink. They are small and shallow.
This is one place where Airstream could take a lesson from the boating/yachting industry. There are plenty of small-but-deep sinks made for sailboats that would be much more effective than what Airstream uses. Sailboat sinks have to be deep enough to hold a usable amount of water even when the boat is heeled over at a 20° angle.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:30 AM   #39
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Is it just me?

Why would anyone design an RV with a galley in it, then put a single-bowl sink in it? Especially when these vehicles are "premium". Lay out $100K+, then have to buy a $2 plastic mixing bowl to wash dishes? Makes no sense to me.

I would rather have two sinks and choose to not use them than to have one sink and wish I had another.

1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:40 AM   #40
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Why would anyone design an RV with a galley in it, then put a single-bowl sink in it?
For the same reason that apartments often have a single sink. Designers just naturally assume that those with small kitchens don't really cook so they don't really need to clean up, either.

Of course, in my case they're half-right… I don't really cook, just heat-and-eat, but I still need to clean up after.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Washing dishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Is it just me?

Why would anyone design an RV with a galley in it, then put a single-bowl sink in it? Especially when these vehicles are "premium". Lay out $100K+, then have to buy a $2 plastic mixing bowl to wash dishes? Makes no sense to me.

I would rather have two sinks and choose to not use them than to have one sink and wish I had another.

Ummmm,,, I plead guilty.

A single deeper sink made sense in my "design for space" thinking on how to build a nice RV kitchen, but not so great in actual use.

I would like to say that my original design was the smart move, but that ain't so... (Like several other of my ideas that didn't make the cut in actual use).

My next "re-refit" will consist of a redesigned galley cabinets with a double sink. This is my last major redo of some of my ideas that SEEMED good on paper, but not in practice.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:56 AM   #42
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
This is one place where Airstream could take a lesson from the boating/yachting industry. There are plenty of small-but-deep sinks made for sailboats that would be much more effective than what Airstream uses. Sailboat sinks have to be deep enough to hold a usable amount of water even when the boat is heeled over at a 20° angle.
I have zero experience with anything "marine" outside of fishing-boat-sized floaters, so your mention of marine sinks made me curious. A quick search came up with this:

http://www.thetfordmarine.com/product/kitchen-centre/

Now that seems like a good idea. One sink, but it transforms into two basins if you'd like.

Kudos to that designer.

1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote