Old 12-22-2014, 12:40 AM   #43
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I converted most all my lights to LED. Some are Airstream kits, but some were missed originally, and also I could not find a LED repacement for my florescent 18' in the bathroom. I ordered rolls of LED strips 5 meters long. They are available in high or low density, warm or cool, waterproof or not. The cost is about $10 a roll and all the skill you need is learning how to use a pencil soldering iron. Since they are already 12vdc, just cut off a few at the marked double copper dots and practise soldering. All you need to test your work is a 12vdc source. Actually it is fun to make different lighting combinations in your Airstream. i have had no failures and it appears the LEDs like the voltage our batteries, converters, and solar systems produce. I have also read that high voltage could shorten thier life.
The following is the info of the ones I used. I am sure there are others just GOOGLE: Supernight

SUPERNIGHT (TM) Warm White 5M / 16.4FT 5050 SMD Flexible LED Strip Lights

300 leds or 60led/m LED Light [ASIN: B00ASVC2S4]

SUPERNIGHT (TM) LED Strip light, Non Waterproof LED Flexible Light Strip

12V with 300 SMD LED, 5050 Warm White. 16.4 Foot / 5 Meter. [ASIN: B00E0HBQV6]

Hope this helps and they sure are a lot cheaper the retail kits.
Charles J. "Gus" Gustafson
Space "A"
WBCCI 4428

Old 12-22-2014, 01:25 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Good data, thanks to all.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I don't think it's a matter of LED technology no being where it should be. I think it's a bunch of substandard producers jumping on the band wagon. Some, usually the more expensive, of the better retailers ferret out the good ones. Unfortunately, it's trial and error for us.
Trial and error, yes. For our house-without-wheels, I've bought several kinds of LEDs from IKEA. Some have been wonderful and act as if they will never die. Some quickly became worthless. Even within a single retailer, there is variation in quality.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Another vote for gels here, they are cheap and easy to use and allow you to fine tune the color.

My biggest issue is with he dimmer on the LED lights, when they are dimmed the flicker is really noticeable to me, anyone else have this issue?
Old 12-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #47
cramar

1992 25' Excella
Leamington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Warm white is nice for mood and cold white works well for tasks, cleaning, reading, kitchen.
Exactly! I find as our eyes age, we need more brightness at night to help see detail. While mood is nice (in a living or bed room), to me everything is task oriented in a trailer as far as I am concerned. White light just seems brighter. At home I have white LEDs in my study, white fluorescents (supplemented by LEDs) in the white kitchen, white compact fluorescents (CF) in the white bathroom for teeth flossing, fluorescents in my white garage, and CF (chosen by colour temperature) on the outside of our white brick house. This gives the bright effect and visibility I want at very little power usage, so I carried this theme over to the trailer. Every light inside (with the exception of the coat closet) has been replaced with white LEDs. The galley has a a custom strip of LEDs from the auto industry. I guess I love LEDs because I was in electronics and started working with LEDs (only red then) back in the early 1970s, decades before the public ever heard of them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Galley-new-LEDs.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	229052
cramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lake Forest Park , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
Another vote for gels here, they are cheap and easy to use and allow you to fine tune the color.

My biggest issue is with he dimmer on the LED lights, when they are dimmed the flicker is really noticeable to me, anyone else have this issue?
We don't see flicker even at the lowest setting on the dimmer. The dimmer on the overhead lights is a great feature.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post

I have found the flicker is dependent upon the quality of the dimmer and/or the LED array.
I only use a dimmer in the two reading lights above the sofa. Using a dimmer and "puck" from LED4RV, I only have a slight flicker on the very lowest setting. I just set to one position above the lowest setting for mood and nightlights and it is fine. No flicker on high settings for reading.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
My LEDs are factory installed. i have always been more susceptible to flicker then other people. It is a royal pain!
Old 12-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have not noticed any flicker with the LEDs, even in using the dimmer. Color, I have left the overheads in the galley/living area bright white so as to provide maximum light when desired. With the dimmer the bright whites do not have the obnoxious 5700K temperature but, the subwoofer does hum quite audibly when the dimmer is utilized. The solution for this is to relocate/modify the subwoofer and install a line switch so unless it is desired it can be powered off. This is important as well when boon docking to avoid a power drain.

Alana_Mods_Phase_II_11.21.14-4 by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr

The switch has been relocated to the right side of the subwoofer more recently. If you wonder what the box is on top, this is for the espresso grinder and maker located behind the dinette, as well as the rechargeable hand vac mounted on the end of the table frame.
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I had the buzzing subwoofer issue caused by the LED dimmer switch too. There are a few things you can do here to help out. You can put a suppressor on the power line into the woofer, the amplifier does not have any "conditioning" of the input power. You can also replace the darn thing with a higher quality unit - I did and it works a treat!
Old 12-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
The SECOND thing I did was replace all of my lights on the trailer with LED (first was deal with the filiform). I experimented with the cool and warm bulbs; however, in my case I have light fixtures like some shown in other posts with the white plastic covers. What I found was that with a light meter, half of the lumens are lost with the white plastic covers, secondly, the color was still odd, even with the covers.

I ended up re-buying the interior lights but after some digging also purchased clear lenses for the fixtures and it made the difference. The LED lights do not have as much output as the older bulb and I did not want dim. That led me to the switch of lens and bulbs (again). The highest lumen LED I could find for the application was 230 lumens but it was a barrel style so nearly half the light would not reflect much anyway and it was $24 each. I DID buy three of those- two in warm and one in cool. I used one for the wardrobe, the cool one outside and one in the bathroom. The next best was an array with 155 lumen universal 30 LED similar to the picture below- I bought the 15 base. It is not available now as the other one, pictured below is the replacement at 120 lumens but it is close to the original bulb in lumens. What limits the light to 60 lumens is the white lens. If you have the puck style newer lights, this is a non-issue; but the bulbs for your style of light are available too in better quality, color temp and voltage range too.

This time I was careful with my selection. I purchased array style to focus all the light downward directly and looked for the most powerful array I could find in WARM WHITE and with the greatest voltage range for long life and anti-flicker. The color now is very close to the original bulbs but without the heat or energy usage.

The cool white is like a hospital to me and impacts color and mood. I tried one array in cool as it had a slightly higher Lumen rating but it was that strange color. I WILL say that those considering changing out exterior bulbs, the cool white looked better outside for the large porch light and the red and amber bulbs are fantastic for the teardrops.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Cambria , California
Stay away from IKEA lights. They are the worst. SuperbrightLEDs.com has some quality stuff
Old 02-28-2015, 11:43 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
I prefer white 5,500K colour temperature LED bulbs in my car... just because it matches the xenon headlights so well and makes the interior look so crisp.

But for the home, my spouse and I prefer more yellow 3,500K (?) - like Halogen bulbs. Some people prefer white light 5,500K for task lighting (like for a desk). Just be careful not to go to far in the colour spectrum like 6,500K because things start looking blue.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:12 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
LED Source

Just a note about sourcing LED's. Dan at LED4RV.COM can assist with any problem. For older tube fixtures there are LED strips which provide lots of light and can be adapted to almost any configuration.

I would suggest calling him or going to the website as I have not heard of anyone who has not been pleased with the service.

AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote