Old 12-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Like most of the others, I am not super fond of New Lucy's bright white LED ceiling lights. I think that I am going to try some of the Marlene filter material.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Greatly prefer the warm white look. That is what we have in the Airstream. Some of our LEDs at home are cool whites, and they are, IMO, too bright and harsh.

Bob and Nancy
Cheer Up, Slow Down, Chill Out!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Do not get to whacked out about the color of the bright white LEDs. These put out the most light. About changing these.....

Take your pick as to color:
Serenity_Mods_12.06.14-4 by, on Flickr

Actually, the bedroom lights do not appear greenish, but simply warm. Go to one of the theatre gel folks, like here:

Theatrical Gel Sheets - Ambers/Oranges

Order some several orange/yellow or whatever color you want, and then by cutting small round inserts you can have any color you want. Inexpensive, and as some of us like the warm white....calms us down considerably.

I have placed the gels in all but the main room lights, which are dimple so the color is less obnoxious.

Look at all of the modifications in my Serenity to get an idea of what is possible.

Good luck,
Happy trails and Good Luck
Ms Tommie Fantine Lauer, Greensboro, NC
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Warm white is nice for mood and cold white works well for tasks, cleaning, reading, kitchen.

So we put a contemporary style lamp on our dinette with a 120 vac warm led bulb that gives the interior a pleasant glow, and left everything else as is. Use the task lights (cold LED) as needed. Works well.

A small auto-style inverter powers the lamp and charges the laptops, phone when boon docking so we don't have the higher battery drain of the coach inverter.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member
1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I swapped out the white lenses for clear ones and we to get more light from the LEDs. We also use a mix of both cool and warm.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #20
2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
When you replaced your halogen lights with LED's, was that a simple or complicated job? Is it simply a matter of unscrewing bulbs and screwing in the replacements?
Terry P. Rizzuti, "Yertle"

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I went with warm white LED replacement bulbs on my Classic including the overhead florescent lighting. Since its got the hickory cabinets and vinyl ceiling and mouse fur I thought the warm tone worked best. Did the same in my previous Casita. Warm LED is closest to an incandescent bulb. The scare light is converted but it came with a cool white.

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #22
Rivet Master
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Originally Posted by TRizzuti View Post
When you replaced your halogen lights with LED's, was that a simple or complicated job? Is it simply a matter of unscrewing bulbs and screwing in the replacements?
Very simple job. Most of the halogens are two pin type, replacements usually LED sheets with two pin connectors.

As with any retrofit, changing the first will take two minutes, and each subsequent one 30 seconds.
Bob and Nancy
Cheer Up, Slow Down, Chill Out!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2005 22' International CCD
Cambria , California
I can't believe that they are hard wired but if they are, can't you just get a soldering iron and replace them that way. I have a 2005 CCD and replaced all of the lights with warm led lights. Blue or Cold White LEDs will ruin your romance.

Colonial Airstream had everything in stock for the conversion at competitive prices. I've also used for warm leds. If you can take one of your lights apart, they will probably have a replacement part.
Ziggy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I think it would depend on the AS decor to some degree - as well as personal preference.

In our older "Classic" with mouse fur, lots of oak etc. I find the warm bulbs are much better suited and give a cosy feel.

In fact when I initially ordered some warm white led's t replace reading lights, I was sent cool white by mistake. I tried them then returned them for exchange - to me, they just didn't look right with the decor.

But I would imagine that with one of the newer model Airstreams with lots of exposed aluminum inside and very modern decor /monotone coloured panels, etc., the cool white would be a much better match for the more 'space age" look.

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
2015 23' International
Lake Forest Park , Washington

Thanks, I will try a couple samples of the gel. Which color(s) did you use?

I saw your thread a while back, and you have done a great job on your trailer.

aircampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Originally Posted by aircampr View Post
Thanks for the comments. I will follow up on whether to try filters. Most of the lights are the flush mount type, in the ceiling or in the overhead storage, behind the sliding doors.

I realize this is a personal taste issue, and that we must be on the wring side of the issue from whomever is making these choices at Airstream, but It is good to hear the range of opinions on the forum.

We will not enjoy our new trailer with the lights A/S put in there, so we will either add filters if practical or swap the lights. Maybe we can sell the cool white fixtures to someine who likes them and wants to upgrade from halogen...

It's personal taste and also the net lighting effect is influenced heavily by the color scheme of the trailer or motorhome in question.

The GOOD news is that, depending on your fixtures, you can probably afford to experiment. We recently retrofitted our 2007 from all halogen and were forced to use Airstream brand LEDs (expensive - $15 apiece) in our spotlights because we could not find any other suitable product for those fixtures. However, the ceiling puck lights only cost about $3.50 each (I think the ceiling fixtures are very similar in most Airstreams, whether motorhome or trailer). We went with the warm white ones, because with all the gray and black in our Airstream, cooler bulbs made everything look positively ghoulish.

You can see sourcing info and a pic of the interior here if you are interested. The pic at the end of the post is fairly true-to-life.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #27
SLO Town Airstream Owner
1977 31' Sovereign
San Luis Obispo , San Luis Obispo
For 100000 yrs or so we sat around camp files which give off a yellowish blue light. Ie Warm white. LED research has spent Hugh sums of money making the sterile white of LEDS look like the lights we are used to and evolved with. So go figure.
sloprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Use the lighting behind the international sliding diffuser doors ...dim the main for us.

~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote