Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #1
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Vintage Restrictive RV Parks

So i've been full timing in my sweet 58 caravaneer that's in good shape, solar powered, composting toilet and self contained for over a year. Been Boondocking on the street and on some private land. I called an RV resort in ATL here and tried to set up some monthly. I was told my RV 22ft 1958 trailer was not accepted there.

what should i now do to ruin this RV park for excluding my vintage trailer
Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
https://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/ READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
labtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
It's actually quite common.

Usually found in high end RV Resorts with high end RV's. Little do they know what they are missing.

Occasionally.....If you send them a picture of your Vintage unit they'll reconsider.

It is in place to keep the trusty but rusty and quite crusty RV's from setting up camp.

And......do you really want to be in such company that doesn't want you or your beautiful time capsule.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
It may not have helped, but did you tell them it was a restored AS? I gather that sometimes makes difference with older RV's.

Brian.

PS - when I clicked on your pic, it sure looks like your next upgrade should be a new axle, or is that just the way the perspective is on the pic?

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by labtopia View Post
Here's a crazy idea, go somewhere else!

The beauty of the USA is the ability for a business to be run in general how they want. (for the most part ) If you don't like their policies, don't shop there.

No need to "ruin" them. If they are so drastically wrong, that will happen anyways. If not, maybe you're the one who is wrong?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:28 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
They are free to ruin themselves. If they cater only to the newest-shiniest-biggest crowd, they'll find themselves out of business when their own facilities develop a bit of patina and the new place down the road that's cooked up some new restriction or other opens up.

Take the opposite tack and find and vigorously support the best parks, the ones that are looking for good friendly guests with well-maintained RVs that may also be well-used. I've stayed in quite a few very nice, modern, even chi-chi "RV Resort" type places that don't bat an eye at my well-maintained 40-year-old Argosy with imperfect paint.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The Tin Can Tourists have a list of vintage friendly cg on their website last time I checked. 60 plus cg listed around the country.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Seattle & Olympic Peninsula , Washington
Generally we try to avoid those sorts of places but yeah, if you send them a picture, or a link to a blog with pics, they will more than likely welcome you with their open, snobby arms.
EvelynDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Hi Dave,

We had a similar problem in Texas. I didn't accept their first answer of no. Granted, they can make any rule they want and I respect that but I asked if there were alternatives to the rule. I was put in touch with a manager who asked for photographs.

I really needed to stay at this particular campground. I don't recall the circumstances right now but there were not many campgrounds in the area and most were much farther away. So I begrudgingly sent photographs of our 1992 trailer (not restored but in okay condition) and was accepted.

Each campground can establish their own rules but I think many have ways to bend the rules if you persist.

Good luck.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by labtopia View Post
So i've been full timing in my sweet 58 caravaneer that's in good shape, solar powered, composting toilet and self contained for over a year. Been Boondocking on the street and on some private land. I called an RV resort in ATL here and tried to set up some monthly. I was told my RV 22ft 1958 trailer was not accepted there.

Come to Palmetto Cove RV park located at 521 Table Rock Road, Cleveland, SC. This former all A/S park is still the home base of Palmetto State Unit of WBCCI and the current home of Alumalina. Palmetto Cove LOVES vintage campers of all stripes, especially Airstreams. The only restriction is by state law which requires all campers to be self contained since there are no showers. Your beautiful Caravanner will look gorgeous parked next to my '67 Overlander.

To answer your question, go to a RV Park Reviews web site and vent about the experience you had. It may not "ruin" the park that snubbed your little beauty but you may get a little satisfaction out of it.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #10
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
The Tin Can Tourists have a list of vintage friendly cg on their website last time I checked. 60 plus cg listed around the country.
thanks man!
Old 07-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
I've been aware of this situation and finally I was asked. Rather than tell them I had a 2011 (well within there 10 year rule) I said "It's an Airstream, it doesn't matter." I was given a reservation without another blink. Dumb luck? I don't know but it worked and I'll try it the next time if I'm ever asked.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #12
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I've seen some crap Airstreams out there....
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #13
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
thanks danb! problem is there are only 3 rv parks in the ATL, one not an option for distance, stone mountain for cost, and these ding dongs. also i feel that my lovely 58yr old trailer speaks to the USA and quality, not to mention i made it wholey sustainable. I'll now keep boondocking on the street here as i have for over a year and figure out how much effort i feel in exposing this predudice. Right to refuse 530$ service a month is really dumb in my opinion as a businessman...

I've put lots of great stuff on this forum and gotten great info from it too. I'll keep it that way and post my experience. but if there is nothing posted on their web as terms or restrictions... I spoke with people there since may about coming down without any problem...

I'll keep that 530$ and have a hell of a party each month right?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Here's a crazy idea, go somewhere else!

The beauty of the USA is the ability for a business to be run in general how they want. (for the most part ) If you don't like their policies, don't shop there.

No need to "ruin" them. If they are so drastically wrong, that will happen anyways. If not, maybe you're the one who is wrong?
Old 07-07-2016, 12:39 PM   #14
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
cool! will take you up on that, traveling all summer with this thing so...
thanks for the support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
Come to Palmetto Cove RV park located at 521 Table Rock Road, Cleveland, SC. This former all A/S park is still the home base of Palmetto State Unit of WBCCI and the current home of Alumalina. Palmetto Cove LOVES vintage campers of all stripes, especially Airstreams. The only restriction is by state law which requires all campers to be self contained since there are no showers. Your beautiful Caravanner will look gorgeous parked next to my '67 Overlander.

To answer your question, go to a RV Park Reviews web site and vent about the experience you had. It may not "ruin" the park that snubbed your little beauty but you may get a little satisfaction out of it.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #15
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
i dont think mine is crap...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
I've seen some crap Airstreams out there....
Old 07-07-2016, 12:53 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
I don't think campground owners are so much worried about older units, as much as they are worried about people leaving a POS trailer, and then walking away. I have heard a few campground owners talk about this problem.

Bruce
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:47 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Mission Viejo , California
Or if you're in the vicinity you could drive over there and have a talk with them. They might be okay when they see your rig.

$530 a month is less than $20 a day. Pretty dang cheap.
Bill Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Mission Viejo , California
Wow, I completely misinterpreted the title. Thought you'd found a park that ONLY allowed vintage RVs. What a hoot that'd be. Kind of a 'bring yer own' Shady Dell.
cdufault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:34 AM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
It's actually quite common.

Usually found in high end RV Resorts with high end RV's. Little do they know what they are missing.

Occasionally.....If you send them a picture of your Vintage unit they'll reconsider.

It is in place to keep the trusty but rusty and quite crusty RV's from setting up camp.

And......do you really want to be in such company that doesn't want you or your beautiful time capsule.

A high quality picture works very well. I've been placed near front of parks several times as a drawing card (1990 TT).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Rv parks are less restrictive if you are staying a couple days, much more for monthly or longer stays. From my experience.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote