Old 10-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Little Rock , Arkansas
Urgent question about dump hose?!?!

Are all gray/black tank dump hoses created equal? Are all the hookups the same? How does one go about deciding on which to buy? Ours is old and is looking a bit the worse for wear. There is a VERY small pin hole in it that we covered with duct tape but I want a new one. We've looked several times but are still unsure which to get. Also, how long should they be? I know ASs are close to the ground but, since we have only two experiences with dumping, we are unfamiliar with what may be out there in our future.
We have a 1998 28ft Excel Classic.
Thanks in advance, Gillpine

Old 10-16-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
You can buy replacement hoses to attach to the existing fittings.

Kelvin

Old 10-16-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
You can also buy "heavy duty" hoses that are made of thicker plastic. There are two kinds of connectors, Valterra and Thetford, that have dimensions different enough that they will not connect without an adapter. Older Airstreams like our '66 model had Thetford connectors at the dump valve, and most of the hoses available these days are Valterra. Adapters are easy to get, but they can be fragile. If your trailer has the Thetford valve, it's wise to carry an extra adapter.

I've been caught one time with a sewer hose that was too short. Only carried 10' on my first outing with the trailer, and soon found out that older Airstreams have the dump valve at the back of the trailer and that most campsites have the sewer connector at the middle for the newer motorhomes. I've carried at least 20' of hose since then, and it's been OK. I do have an extra 10' on board, just in case. Carry enough hose to reach from your dump valves to the middle of the trailer comfortably.

Be very careful of connectors and be absolutely sure they're secure, both the clamp that holds them to the hose and the bayonet connector that hooks them to the trailer and the sewer elbow. No need to mention why.

I found out also that the vibrations in the rear bumper storage compartment damaged the threads on my plastic sewer connect elbows. I solved that by getting a PVC threaded collar fitting at the local big box store. I screw the sewer connector elbow into that for travel, and the threads are protected by a thick layer of plastic.

Welcome to the Forums, and best of luck with your Airstream.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Little Rock , Arkansas
Has anyone bought this particular sewer hose?

Camco 39761 RhinoFLEX 15' Sewer Hose Kit with Swivel Fitting
It got good mostly good reviews on Amazon.

How does one find out whether one has Valterra or Thetford fittings? Our AS is a 1998 model with the dump valve on the side, not the back.

Thanks for your help again.
Gillpine
Old 10-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Our trailer is a 2005 and has Thetford fittings - not sure if they were continually used through all years at least until 2005 - Not sure either if maybe they still use Thetford.

If so, I wonder why, it is a bit of a pain because most everything you see at Wallyworld or even most RV dealers seem to be Valterra brand, so as mentioned, you need the Thetford to Valterra adapter.

And the adapters are not always that easy to find, last time I tried to get one, even Camping World didn't have them - tried two of their stores.

The adapters can be ordered on line though - even through Amazon I think around $10 if I recall.

As for hoses I think it is worth paying a little more and getting the thickest mil size of the plastic material - otherwise, they can develop pinholes quickly just from dragging on the ground.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:35 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Our 1999 has Thetford fittings.

Our hose is a Camco. Cheap. Undo the hose clamps slide old off, new on.

Before dealing with that, soak the connectors in a bleach solution so they are mostly "sanitized".

If you buy inexpensive, (cheap) hose with flex walls and wire coil inside, just leave it in the sun to become pliable then "twist" the connector in place and secure with clamp. Coils and compresses easily.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Oh, the "glue"'used on the "a alters adapters to secure the Square gasket O-ring will fail and you cannot get proper seal without that O-ring!

We have it for our "blue boy" portable "honey wagon" as it is Valtera and AS is Thetford.

I am seriously considering "cam lock" style connectors..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillpine View Post
Are all gray/black tank dump hoses created equal? Are all the hookups the same? How does one go about deciding on which to buy? Ours is old and is looking a bit the worse for wear. There is a VERY small pin hole in it that we covered with duct tape but I want a new one. We've looked several times but are still unsure which to get. Also, how long should they be? I know ASs are close to the ground but, since we have only two experiences with dumping, we are unfamiliar with what may be out there in our future.
We have a 1998 28ft Excel Classic.
Thanks in advance, Gillpine
Three separate things to consider

1) connector at trailer end
2) the hose itself
3) connector at discharge end

I believe your trailer came with the older Thetford style dump connection. A previous owner may have changed it out. In general the Thetford connections are white while the now-standard Valterra connections are black.

There are few if any pre-assembled hoses that use the Thetford connector. If that's what you have, you can either:
a) get an adapter
b) change the connector on your trailer, which can be involved
c) get a thetford hose end and attach it to the hose yourself.

The "standard" hose is a 10' vinyl hose. These are very inexpensive and are available in different wall thicknesses which are characterized as medium, heavy, and extra heavy duty. The heavy duty hose works out fine for dumping tanks at a dump station, and you should have one. It will store easily in a bumper or storage tube, is inexpensive, and works great for that. No connector on the discharge end is necessary or desirable.

We carry a different hose for full hookups. In general the full hookup situation is harder on the hose, because people will inevitably step on it, and because it will inevitably drag across gravel and asphalt at some point. The cheap vinyl hoses will get pinholes from this, as you have learned. Also, it is necessary to have an elbow at the discharge end, along with various fittings to attach to the connection provided by the campground.

After having tried: the Sewer Solution, various inexpensive hoses, and a Rhinoflex hose, we have ended up with the Valterra Viper, which though expensive is the only hose we've had that is durable enough to last more than a year, with full hookups. It is available as a kit that includes the elbow and adapter stack. It isn't practical to replace the trailer end on it so I wouldn't try to switch to a Thetford connector, instead, get and use an adapter if necessary.

We also carry an inexpensive longer hose to deal with the rare situation where the full hookups are in a poor location.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Because of our unique trailer layout, we need more flexibility than most...

We find it helpful to have (2) 5' and a 10' rather than just one 20' hose. Our valve is at the front of our 22' vintage trailer (I know, it's odd...but that's where the toilet & tanks are) and most campgrounds are set up for sewer in the back or middle of the sites. I prefer using two shorter hoses with a connector so we can be have flexibility in using 5', 10', 15' or 20' if need be depending on the lay of the land, or as little hose as possible when dumping at a dump station. I don't want to clean 20' of hose if we only need 5' for dumping.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Little Rock , Arkansas
You guys are wonderful!!!!

What great responses and help! Thank you so much for all your freely offered assistance and excellent experience. This forum is the best.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
If we help each other through the learning curve, we all get to spend more time camping!
Old 10-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #12
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I have to forcibly hold my Rhinoflex against my 2007 to prevent it from leaking when dumping. I have a Valterra cover, but I wonder if the PO put that there and I have a Thetford end. I never had the leaking problem until I replaced my hose with the Rhinoflex unit which I thought would be superior.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #13
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Valterra Works Great For Us

We full-time in a 2014 Classic 27FB. Our sewer connection is in the middle section of the trailer. Most of the time, we need the 20ft (two 10ft hoses connected). We generally replace one of the 10ft sections per year due to wear and tear which is ok because they don't cost much. We also use a clear connector at the trailer so we know when we are done cleaning and rinsing.

As an added bonus, the Valterra's smaller diameter allows it to fit in the sewer hose storage tube under the trailer. That was the original reason we went with the Valterra.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
We use a Sewer Solution with a 10' hose, + an extra 10' section for when needed. I have used it 2 years and really like it. A bit pricey, but worth it to me.

WBCCI #31443

"Don't follow me.
I've spent my life leading folks astray."
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote