Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2008, 08:16 AM   #21
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
No man...get the new breathable kind. Folds up to the size of the Sunday paper.

Bill
Link, please.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
We create a fenced in yard under the awning for the goldens. My DH uses lengths of rebar to create posts that we then attach expens to with tiny cable cuffs. One of the expens has a latching gate door for easy egress. We also put down a light weight woven plastic rv mat, it keeps the dirt and mud out of the camper and the dogs have a clean surface to lay on. Since they do get on the beds it helps us all stay clean.

We strategicly place coolers, tote boxes, chairs, etc, in front of the trailer to reduce the likelihood of an under belly canine escape. So far it has worked perfectly. The dogs are content to watch the world go by from their fenced in yard. The space is plenty big for the two goldens, two chairs or lafumas, a table with grill.

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Where do we carry the "stuff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacarape View Post
......... but I have a question, where do you stow the turf? Man, I'm stuffed for room in a 25 footer. Thanks in advance-michael

Hi Jacarape

We tow with a Dodge 2500 truck with a camper cover. There's lots of room and weight allowance in the back of the truck. That's were we carry all our stuff. Once unloaded there's room in the back of the truck for other people (family) to sleep. Our 22', like other small trailers, has very little weight allowance. They are almost at gross weight from the factory.
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:55 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

dnrtheil

ARE YOU KIDDING, first the rug.........we have white carpet and do not want to track in dirt. second lights add evening atmosphere and the tiki torches keep the bugs away...third fire pit.........who doesnt want to sit around a fire in the evening........are you sure you camp or just sit inside and watch the world go by?
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:55 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Sherrylynne, welcome to the forum! Your second post Hope to see you on the road somewhere sometime...~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Doesn't this thread show the diversity of this group...from carpets outdoors to green grass underfoot, from fish on the gas grill to steaks on the fire pit grill, from lights strung around the awnings for ambiance to the starshine of constellations overhead. You know what, we love it all and find ourselves camping one way or the other whenever we're on the road, depending on the time and destination of our travels, whether we're in a "luxury" site or boondocking. We hope we meet you 'round our campfires. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #27
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We may be the most illuminated one on the airforums!

Name:   Mickey Lamp 1.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  19.1 KB

What else would you expect on my awning?

Name:   Mickey Awning Lites 1.JPG
Views: 638
Size:  27.4 KB

We use some awning clips we got at Camping World. One end is clipped to the awning with the string of lights threaded through the clips and the hook from the large globes are hooked in the loop at the other end. To speed the set-up, we carefully measure the location for each of the large globe lights and then traced around the clip with a Sharpie pen. This way we just clip them on in the black square on the awning and they are perfectly spaced.

Name:   Awning Light Detail.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  20.8 KB

We even have the Mickey Mouse icon awning lights for each major holiday. Here are the ones we have for Halloween. We also have them in Christmas colors and Easter Pastels. I'm looking for a solid red sting for Valentine's Day, but haven't found them yet.
Click image for larger version

Name:	MNSSHP'06 (111).JPG
Views:	127
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	62864
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #28
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Oh, we also put out a couple of zero gravity chairs and a small table between them. We carry a set of folding camp chairs for when we have company. If we are going to be somewhere more than a weekend, we will set up a 10X10 free-standing awning with the picnic table under it. We carry two of the gray AstroTurf rugs for full set up with the free-standing awning adjacent to the trailer awning. On this trip we didn't take time to set up everything, but it give a little of the idea, albeit a cluttered one.
Attached Images

WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella3287 View Post
ARE YOU KIDDING, first the rug.........we have white carpet and do not want to track in dirt. second lights add evening atmosphere and the tiki torches keep the bugs away...third fire pit.........who doesnt want to sit around a fire in the evening........are you sure you camp or just sit inside and watch the world go by?
NOT KIDDING about the rug or lights or grill.

First - I do not see the advantage to a rug, that needs to be cleaned and possibly dried when it's time to pack up and go. Why make extra work for your self. I find it much easier to just wipe my feet or take off my shoes before entering the A/S.

Second - Lights, just something else to find a spot for, start a fire, it'll give off lots of light and your right torches do keep bugs away but could also make a mess while in storage, mine stay home.

Third - The fire pit vs. grill, my point was why bring a grill when you can cook over an open fire. When most people say grill I imagine something fired by gas. If thats the case why not just use the stove/oven in your camper, most people will agree charcoal or a wood fire makes everything taste better.

I do camp, one of the few thing I do that allows me to sit and do almost nothing for a couple of days. What I don't do is bring stuff that I feel is not needed and almost always have a fire going. I do carry a broom that has a three part handle for better storage and a small rechargeable vacuum, those two items keep the A/S floor clean.

Later - Derek
Old 06-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
With all due respect Derek, there is no right or wrong way to do things. If what you do works for you, then that's all that should matter.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
You can get better clips for attaching things by buying the one dollar wood clamps at Home Depot. They're typically all plastic (except for the spring) and they hold up screens and nets just fine, as well as many other things.

"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #32
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Link, please.
Like this Chuck; Leisure Mat - Camping World
One of the best items we ever got for camping...way better than "fake grass".
Very durable, cleans up nice, and folds up small enough to stick in the hatch or just toss in back of the truck (mine lives in the truck for the summer). Even wet, it is easy to handle.

Bill
Old 06-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #33
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
One thing we have found indispensable (at least for my wife, anyway) is a floor fan (?). We got it at Wal-Mart in Florida on one of our early trips. It is one that is a recirculating fan on a pole so that it is about head high when we are seated. Keeps the bugs away from our face (Gnats) and keeps us cool even when it is hot out.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #34
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by rettoc625 View Post
We create a fenced in yard under the awning for the goldens. My DH uses lengths of rebar to create posts that we then attach expens to with tiny cable cuffs. One of the expens has a latching gate door for easy egress. We also put down a light weight woven plastic rv mat, it keeps the dirt and mud out of the camper and the dogs have a clean surface to lay on. Since they do get on the beds it helps us all stay clean.

We strategicly place coolers, tote boxes, chairs, etc, in front of the trailer to reduce the likelihood of an under belly canine escape. So far it has worked perfectly. The dogs are content to watch the world go by from their fenced in yard. The space is plenty big for the two goldens, two chairs or lafumas, a table with grill.

Mary
Don't want to hijack....but are you kidding Mary? Sounds like major construction!
Try this; Wireless Containment System
We use one at home for our Lab and take it with us when camping...it makes life easy and allows the pup to roam around the site a bit (based on how large a radius you set). It is indispensable for us. Even plu it into a portable power supply if camping w/out hookups. We love it and pup does too!
Pricey...but well worth it.

Bill
Old 06-25-2008, 01:25 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Thumbs up Great Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu View Post
We installed grommets every two feet along main awning.
And a few on the others for hanging stuff.
I did this while they were off, I know would be tough to set up for doing while on side...would be worth it though.
They really come in handy.
Would add more if doing again.

Great to hang movie screen from too...
I love that set up ,now if I can get my wife to hold the anvil while I smack the crimper with a hammer. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Ledyard , Connecticut
Quote:
Don't want to hijack....but are you kidding Mary? Sounds like major construction!
Try this; Wireless Containment System
We use one at home for our Lab and take it with us when camping...it makes life easy and allows the pup to roam around the site a bit (based on how large a radius you set). It is indispensable for us. Even plu it into a portable power supply if camping w/out hookups. We love it and pup does too!
Pricey...but well worth it.

Bill
Well... no Bill... it is not major construction. We do have an invisible fence at home and a good friend of mine contains her dogs with a wireless containment system. So yes... I am well aware of my 'easier' options.

However... Radio frequency fences are just psychological barriers. Dogs, including my own, do run through them. Especially when something very inticing is on the other side (dogs, cats, rabbits, people, steaks on a grill). After chasing my dogs through my neighborhood on at least a couple occassions, I DO NOT want to risk them running off in unfamiliar surroundings. I also DO NOT want other people's dogs who are less well supervised entering my dog's territory. This method also shows shows others whereever we are that my dogs are contained and not likely to disturb them or jump on them. The barrier is obvious.

BTW it only takes about ten minutes to put up or take down. I want to make sure that my dogs represent their species well and make it possible for all dogs to be welcome, including yours.

Mary

Old 06-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
re rugs and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrtheil View Post
NOT KIDDING about the rug or lights or grill.

First - I do not see the advantage to a rug, that needs to be cleaned and possibly dried when it's time to pack up and go. Why make extra work for your self. I find it much easier to just wipe my feet or take off my shoes before entering the A/S.

Second - Lights, just something else to find a spot for, start a fire, it'll give off lots of light and your right torches do keep bugs away but could also make a mess while in storage, mine stay home.

Third - The fire pit vs. grill, my point was why bring a grill when you can cook over an open fire. When most people say grill I imagine something fired by gas. If thats the case why not just use the stove/oven in your camper, most people will agree charcoal or a wood fire makes everything taste better.

I do camp, one of the few thing I do that allows me to sit and do almost nothing for a couple of days. What I don't do is bring stuff that I feel is not needed and almost always have a fire going. I do carry a broom that has a three part handle for better storage and a small rechargeable vacuum, those two items keep the A/S floor clean.

Later - Derek
Some things, Derek, are just worth the fuss. They make life easier, prettier, more fun, more romatic, more comfortable, more enjoyable, just a little bit more and I don't mind the trouble they cause. Like kids, dogs, flowers on the table and, a gas grill to cook on and a comfy rug for our bare feet.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #38
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by rettoc625 View Post
Well... no Bill... it is not major construction. We do have an invisible fence at home and a good friend of mine contains her dogs with a wireless containment system. So yes... I am well aware of my 'easier' options.

However... Radio frequency fences are just psychological barriers. Dogs, including my own, do run through them. Especially when something very inticing is on the other side (dogs, cats, rabbits, people, steaks on a grill). After chasing my dogs through my neighborhood on at least a couple occassions, I DO NOT want to risk them running off in unfamiliar surroundings. I also DO NOT want other people's dogs who are less well supervised entering my dog's territory. This method also shows shows others whereever we are that my dogs are contained and not likely to disturb them or jump on them. The barrier is obvious.

Mary
True, true...just wanted you to know how well this works for us.

Our Lab is ....well let's say "energetic"? And he will not run through this if you put a hot poodle with a steak on it's back 10 feet away. One afternoon of training and he never strays.
He does have a chip, if he ever did get out (God forbid) but honestly it works very well. He is so well trained on his home turf, we don't even need to put the collar on, he will not violate his boundaries.
When camping we plug it in, set the perimeter, walk him around once to show him, and he is all set. Literaly takes about 2 minutes.
He had a red squirrel harass him all last weekend...and he never broke out!

Bill
Old 06-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Like this Chuck; Leisure Mat - Camping World
One of the best items we ever got for camping...way better than "fake grass".
Very durable, cleans up nice, and folds up small enough to stick in the hatch or just toss in back of the truck (mine lives in the truck for the summer). Even wet, it is easy to handle.

Bill
We bought a woven mat online from this company. They were very nice to deal with...
The RV Awning Mat Co., Inc. - RV Awning Mats.com Camping & RV Supplies & Equipment: WELCOME - RV patio indoor/outdoor reversible mat and rv awning mat
We have had it for about 1-1/2 years and use it regularly. They have a good selection of designs and colors, and it comes with a nice storage bag. The dirt falls through when dry and even when wet doesn't hold water and drys fast. It is better than any other mat I have used. We did burn a hole in it when a hot ember from a campfire landed on it. This mat is far better than the astro turf material. Ours fits under the dinette seat when not in use.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Ledyard , Connecticut
Quote:
True, true...just wanted you to know how well this works for us.

Our Lab is ....well let's say "energetic"? And he will not run through this if you put a hot poodle with a steak on it's back 10 feet away. One afternoon of training and he never strays.
That's great the device works as intended with your guy!!! It use to work that way with mine too. I guess my pups think the regular shock therapy they get as they zip out after the bunny may help them run faster!

Mary