Old 04-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yeah, I always bring it home with empty tanks. I put in a couple of gallons of water and deodorizer. Means 1 day of stopping at a lot of rest areas. It seems that to get to Knoxville we are always coming in on an Interstate. I really do not know the exact effect of sitting with a light load. Maybe with enough deodorizer? There is a open vent on both tanks through the roof and I suspect you are going to get odor from both the gray and black tanks. That might be the only downside. We have 2 30 lb propane bottles. I run one, switch the valve, and refill the empty one as soon as I can. Easiest place to fill is at a campground, like KOA, or some other commercial campground.

Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #16
Hail on wheels
1992 25' Excella
Little Elm , Texas
We keep our airstream, Hail on wheels, stocked with can goods, coffee,etc. also have the kitchen, bathroom, and linens fully stocked. The only thing we add is our cloths. We stop for groceries and fill with water close to our destination. We prep the way home by emptying the tanks and then wash and replace linens when we get home. Makes

it very easy to get going.

GeGe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:22 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Yeah - putting the fridge onto propane only was enough to drain the batteries in a weeks time for this inaugural trip preparation. I think moving ahead, the fridge will be powered on the day of the trip and ill stock the food mixed with frozen no-ice bricks to keep the food cold while the system powers up during travel.
2011 Airstream International Serenity 28'
2016 Ford F250 Crew 4x4 KR Diesel
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:13 AM   #18
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Is it advisable to dump the tanks at the end of each trip, even if your next trip will be within a month? We have not been doing this. What are we supposed to be doing?!
Items have been known to solidify in black tanks, making it very difficult to then clean them out. Solid waste, toilet paper. Always store with your tanks empty, IMO.

When you find a dump station with a nice long hose on it, before you disconnect, run that thru the door, down into the toilet and give it a high pressure wiggle around. You'll be amazed at what comes out that has adhered to the sides and bottom.

Ditto on GeGe's approach. Our Interstate is a fully stocked, tiny house on wheels. WalMart is a good place to pick up Corelle Ware, utensils, etc., and just leave them out there. We load the frig and perishables last thing, everything else is kept stocked just like at home. Also keep a list of what is getting low, to replenish.

Being a big organizer , I like those reusable shopping bags you can pick up anywhere these days to load last minute, IPad, phone, meds, etc. Fill them full, carry them out and unload, then leave them out there for groceries during your trip and/or to reverse the process when you get home. They are sturdy, flexible and take up little space. I store mine in the cubbies on the passenger side door.

You get better with practice. A process, not an event.

Enjoy the learning curve and have fun.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
All good advice, it becomes second nature after awhile. Jim

avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote