Old 11-05-2018, 07:28 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Trip to JC for Work

I will be taking our GT to JC the week of Thanksgiving to have a major dent (as shown in pic) repaired. I've never been there and have a few questions.

I have a ProPride hitch. I assume they can move the trailer with the hitch attached. Am I correct?

Since it is a short work week they are planning to start working on it first thing on Monday morning. I was originally going to park in the terra port but since we are not stating in the AS Sunday night should I still park it there or is there a place to que trailers that are scheduled for work?

I am really looking forward to getting the GT fixed. When I take it on the road or to a campsite I feel like I'm advertising how dumb I am for making such a mistake!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1955.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	327091  

Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:36 AM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
👍

snip...."I have a ProPride hitch. I assume they can move the trailer with the hitch attached. Am I correct?"

I would call and find out for sure...if not tell 'em to order THIS. 👍😂

Good Luck!!

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I've been there, but can't give you the answers. But I will speculate>
If it were me, I would be calling ahead.
I don't think the terraport is where your trailer will be staged from since you are not staying. But, you can't get inside the fence at the repair facility unless someone lets you in. Maybe the guard at the gate will be able to do this on Sunday, if prior arrangements
are made.
I've seen trailers in the terraport with Hensley and ProPride, but I did not notice how/if they moved them. When I was there, they use a tractor to move trailers around.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
If you use Google Maps to view Jackson Center, Ohio the Airstream Factory Service Center is prominently displayed.
Zoom in on it using satellite view and you will see a road between the service building and the terraport. The terraport is 3 large circular areas you will clearly see. There is a parking lot between the terraport and the service building, and also another on the opposite side of the building. I'll bet that one of those parking areas is where you will leave the trailer.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There's also a big grassy field next to the service building. I'd bet it gets nice and muddy this time of year. If they use it for overflow parking ... yikes ...

They use a tractor (actually there are multiple tractors) to move the trailers around. I've seen similar setups at some dealers. The dealers have them set up to work with a variety of hitches. I'd bet the same is true of JC. That said ... phone ahead and check .

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You used to need to leave the stinger. Not sure if that is still the case.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:40 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
They have everything they need.

I have a Hensley, no problem, they have an extra stinger on the tractor. you can stay at the terra port as long as you want. Free if you are having service, otherwise $10 a night. Full hook ups, except some of the sewer caps are uphill from the site.

Jackson Center is a thriving metropolis of two traffic lights. While there I would recommend breakfast at the Hideaway, pizza at Haas Bros, and a trip to the bicycle museum in New Bremen.

AS picks up your trailer at 7am and returns it to the terra port at about 4:30.
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have been to the Service Center a number of times. Yes, they can handle your trailer with the ProPride. You must leave the ProPride hitch bar with the trailer.

I would call and check, but it would probably be best to spend the night in your Airstream at the TerraPort Sunday night. You really need to be on site Monday morning so you can meet the repair crew and go over what you want done.

Unlike most dealers, the Factory Service Center encourages the owner coming into the work area and interacting with the repair crew. Every time that we have had repairs done, we have waited in the service lounge. There in plenty of comfortable seating and the Airstream Store in right there. If the tech has a question, he will come into the waiting area and get you.

Also, don't miss the Factory Tour while you are there.

Here is one last tip. About 10 miles west of JC, the is a restaurant called the Inn Between. It has what may be the best fried chicken in the world. Don't miss this either.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I had almost the same exact hit on the same exact area of my 27FB Flying Cloud. Also with a ProPride and also repaired at JC.

They can absolutely handle a ProPride.

Why aren’t you staying Sunday Night with the trailer? You really should be at the service desk first thing Monday Morning to work the details with them. I would recommend staying there in the terraport Sunday (full hookups) and being in line for 7:15ish Monday morning at the service desk. They’ll bring it in and out every day (unless when repairing it the skins remain open...) so you could stay there every night or just go to a local hotel if you like - but highly recommend being there first thing Monday morning. Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #10
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
The a drill is simple. Have your trailer in the Terraport ready to roll. At 07:15am be at the service writers window in the lounge through the front or side door with your list of jobs. They could pick up your trailer as soon as 7am, so be ready. That is where they will drop your trailer that after noon about 4pm if it is sleep able. Otherwise, have one of the ladies behind the service counter make arrangements at Hampton Inn in Sidney, OH for an over night stay. They will be able to tell you early on if your trailer will need to stay in the shop overbite. If it does you will need to empty your frige into the shops frige. The techs will help you. Be able to mark your bags for Identification. You will have a good time, so enjoy it.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #11

Currently Looking...
West Bloomfield , Michigan
JC handling a ProPride Hitch

I left my stinger in the trailer for them. Though I think they have a stinger the mount on a forklift to move the trailers.
Riccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccamper View Post
I left my stinger in the trailer for them. Though I think they have a stinger the mount on a forklift to move the trailers.

They do - and they have a 2.5” and 2” version. Bases covered.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:59 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Thumbs up Dent

I had a dent fixed at JC and they did an excellent job even water tested it to make sure. I have a pro pride and have been to JC 3 times. They are quite used to handling pro pride systems. Stay at the Terra Port as they will want to haul you in early next AM and there is usually lots of room this late in the year. My dent was high on the right rear end cap. Good Luck with your repair.
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Martinsburg , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
I was originally going to park in the terra port but since we are not stating in the AS Sunday night should I still park it there or is there a place to que trailers that are scheduled for work?
I think it is pretty informal. The advantage to parking in the Terra Port is you can tell them what site your trailer is at when you check in Monday morning. If you don't stay overnight at JC keep in mind that it will take 30 minutes or more to drive to JC from Sydney or Wapakoneta depending on where you are staying.

Someone mentioned a lot. I think that might be hard to back into depending on the size of your rig. It's one thing for the tractor to move a trailer in there by a guy that does it all day long, another thing for a tow vehicle trying to do it putting other trailers at risk. There are some spots on the right side of the road that leads back to the Terra Port, before and after the dump station. I've seen trailers parked there. Don't know if they were waiting for service or what.

As others have said, probably best to just call and ask.

Hope your service goes well. We are leaving Sunday to go to JC to pick up our trailer and will be there sometime Monday. Perhaps we'll run into each other (but hopefully not while towing!!).

Steve

stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote