Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2016, 01:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Traveling SOLO, but want Company too

While camped at the Gilbert Ray RV Park west of Tucson, Arizona the first week of February... my wife and I visited a few Solo Travelers at the Park. They would be walking around with their pet(s) or just getting exercise.

I have never thought of myself traveling solo... as I have my wife, two dogs and maybe some Desert Rats from the camp site stowed away in the trailer. But things change. The Desert Rats may drop off at the first truck stop while refueling.

Some were single from losing a spouse, or were divorced. The stories varied but the result was they were traveling Solo and often... Snow Birding the Southwest. I never thought that this would make material for a Thread... I would have asked some more personal questions... as I do, at times. It just went into one ear and got lost in between the nice weather and the Rock Show in progress.

Some obvious questions to those who might know:

- HOW does someone looking for a traveling companion find a reliable source to search? Male or Female? With or without pets.

- Is there a place on the Airforums to match up personalities with travel interests?

- This might have never been discussed on a Trailer Forum, but I have never been bashful nor lack of curiosity.

- Would the Airforums sponsor an individual Thread for matching up those who are interested and can gather information on a Profile of some sort?

Example:

Single: (Male / Female)
Age: (bracketed?... 30-40, 40-50, 50-60, 60-70, 70-80, 80+)
Interests: (if any.. but would help)
Zip Code: ( or... city, state, zip)
Need: Driver, Passenger, Fellow Traveler (you might have better options)
Pet(s): Dog, Cat... snakes, lizards... I have seen it all, believe me.

Traveling with two separate tow vehicles and trailers
Sharing responsibilities of towing and driving
Or....? What else is there?

I understand. This seems a bit different, but fits Airstream Lifestyles.

Like the Old Young and Young Old Thread... there IS some reasoning behind it. We all find ourselves alone some day, yet traveling is more enjoyable with someone else or several traveling in a short Caravan to support one another on the road.

Some women do the driving and towing the trailer. Men seem to be the ones who do it most often. Sometimes either are just as capable as the other. Sometimes... neither, but that is for another Thread.

Has anyone done this before and was it... worth it, or not?
Old 02-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
Well....I travel by myself (not preferred) or with my two sons (the best) or with friend (works well , too.) I prefer the sons--25 and 29 years old because they do all the set-up and take care of any repairs.They also drive...sometimes. I am the preferred driver and maid. Both boys cook. I can do all of these things myself, but it isn't all that much fun.
The WORST is traveling with somebody who is not into the whole AS adventure...and who gets cranky when things go wrong, which happens every trip. Our family justs rolls with the punches.
sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I travel 90% alone and work on the road setting up popup shops evey weekend, i rather like it, the freedom to make my own choices, to get to know my tailer better. Meet people and generally relax.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I travel solo as a matter of preference. When I want company I can attend a rally somewhere, so that I can be around people for a while but still retreat to the solitude of my Airstream when I've had all the companionship I can stand. As the saying goes, "It's easy to invite someone over when you want company. It's hard to kick someone out when you want privacy."

But that lifestyle choice is not for everyone. I've known people who have literally never been alone for twenty-four hours in a stretch in their entire lives, until circumstances force them to it. They simply don't know what to do with themselves, and I feel sorry for them.

I've had occasion to travel with a variety of people for work (not camping, just traveling in the same vehicle) over the course of my career, and to be honest, I sometimes found the enforced togetherness to be tedious. Not always, but more often than not. The ones that I found tedious were the ones who had no concept of a companionable silence, who had to fill every waking moment with conversation, and expected me to do the same.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:20 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
I travel 90% alone and work on the road setting up popup shops evey weekend, i rather like it, the freedom to make my own choices, to get to know my tailer better. Meet people and generally relax.
Ok ... I'll ask ... What's a pop up shop?
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I have 4 kids, a wife and a dog.

If you want a companion I'll send you one, no returns allowed.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I have 4 kids, a wife and a dog.

If you want a companion I'll send you one, no returns allowed.
I'll take the dog!
Old 02-16-2016, 09:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Very wise choice....😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Explanation of pop up shop:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop-up_retail#/editor/0

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am solo these days by circumstance, not choice, but Lily and I have adapted and are still out there, living the good life.

I am also smart enough to know that sharing close quarters for an extended time period with someone you don't know and get along with extremely well could be a recipe for disaster.

Who needs those tailor made? Life hands them out, anyway.

There are rallies of all kinds out there, as much companionship as one would want, simply for signing up and showing up at the appointed time/place.

If you don't have a partner, can't or don't want to do the driving/setting up/breaking down/tank emptying, etc., all that physical stuff, then RV'ing seems not for you.

My 2 cents.

Maggie
Old 02-17-2016, 05:48 AM   #11
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
Explanation of pop up shop:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop-up_retail#/editor/0

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Your link didn't work for me. Seemed to take me into editor mode or something. It was also formatted for mobile.

Here's another link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop-up_retail
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
spend time in the laundromat and around the pool! The Aluma events are also a great way to meet people and are not specific to Airstreamers. Like Lilly&Me says - there are loads of rallies and I bet there are a few that are geared to every kind of lifestyle you can imagine. For me I'm happy with our dogs and my wife of 35 years and counting ...
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
I go solo only because no one in my family cares a thing about it. I have accepted that & off I go. I do not expect to see an Ashley Madison Airstream thread here!
Old 02-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
I think Ray's suggestion has a lot of merit, and would probably get a lot of traffic. I'd suggest adding another key area of interest: Destinations of Interest...it might allow people to meet up for a specific trip, then part amicably. Being retired, with a working wife, I usually travel alone with my dog and, preferably, with my 7 year old when not in school. My wife catches up via plane to some great locations (i.e., last fall's Alaska trip). But I think it would be a great forum topic. Safe travels, as always. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #15
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
I travel solo. Not necessarily by choice but just the way things turned out.

I would like to have a companion to share my travels with but the reality is that my Airstream is my space. I would enjoy traveling and meeting a companion but she would have to have her own space.

I have met couples that travel with their own trailers, and they shared their travels.

I guess the reality is that dating at my age doesn't come easily. Darn it.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
My folks had a neighbor that once retired was a full timed Air Streamer and followed the Wally group around the country. After about 12 or 15 yrs the Mrs. past and the fellow kept following the Wally group around the country. The fellow also kept his home (son lived in it or purchased it) and he would stop by for a few weeks every year to say hello to his friends before departing for another year. One year he showed up with a companion which shocked everyone, even his son. It appears another couple that he travel with the husband past away and they were close friends and he had a twin bed AS, they both liked the life style so why change. That went on for about 10 - 12 yrs until the companion pasted and at that point the fellow was close to 90 and gave up the AS life style to live with his son. He died within one year, his son said he missed the open road and meeting folks.

I bought my first car from that fellow, a 1950 2 dr Chevy, his father had bought it new. He drove it from Falls Church VA into Washington, DC everyday to work at the Dept of the Interior. Damn I miss that car and the stories he told me about traveling around the US and Canada, hence me buying an AS in 2015.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Saint Lucie , Florida
You're hysterical 😉 But I know he's serious....and great topic I think. I'm
Grapesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Saint Lucie , Florida
I agree!
Grapesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I think that story would make a great movie or book.

Kelvin
Old 02-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I am pleased that members have taken this Thread with the intent it has been received.

No ones wants to admit that they are not able to do what was possible, before decades of experience. Nancy and I discovered, and with the wisdom of our age, NOT to climb the "Fifth Rope Gauntlet" down Gold Strike Canyon hot springs site near Hoover Dam, Boulder City, Nevada. Doing such a hike, solo, presents a separate "wisdom of age" to know when it is time to turn around. We will be prepared the next time and had a peek of what to expect. This is not for everyone.

Those who read Western Exploration will find many of these individuals, when retired... could not endure the inability to maintain this active life style. Living in a house in a town/city just never fit their purpose of living. They became miserable and lacked enthusiasm even to discuss their experiences... and died in the process younger than necessary.

Several of Forum Member Boondocking trips had Solo campers. Within a group it is possible. My solution is to match Solo Campers with other Solo Campers so they can work together. It is necessary. A Wyoming, Colorado or New Mexico Adventure to Off the Grid sites have no safety grid for help.

We have encountered Solo Fossil Hunters working in the trilobite fossil exposures of western Utah and eastern Nevada. They are a bit alarmed hearing a voice... where there has only been the wind. It is difficult to explain. Not unusual to see a firearm strapped to the waist, or within a pack.

There is nothing better than telling your Solo Story. It gives many hope that their lives may continue in what we find as a community so fulfilling... traveling with our Airstreams or other trailer where we want and when. We are a very lucky group of people.

Myself, of all, am especially lucky with a wife that is ready to go anywhere, any time... if we take our two Blue Heelers.