Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2016, 05:06 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
streaminwild... Nancy & I travel and live like paupers. I usually do not wear a watch, as the time of the day in the forest is told by the SUN. No matter the time zone.

The richest man I know has a ranch he has to fly over to check fence in Wyoming. He drove an old Toyota pickup that should have been junked 30 years ago. That is the best to size up a "friendship". He would have died by now but was just an old cowboy minding his business... Ranching.

His Uncle I met ten years earlier and I did not know his younger cousin, until I heard the last name and inquired.

I use to buy, sell, repair and restore antique slot machines and jukeboxes in Wyoming to cover the cost of the University for my wife, myself and two year old daughter. He had a theatre in a small town. It was closed. In the basement he gave me some broken down 1930's slot machines and had a 12 foot Craps table in the building down the street where they would play a few... friendly games, from what I understood.

Be yourself. A true friend cares little about what you have, but WHO you are.

If I do not like someone... they will know it. Having been in the people business of buying and selling "stuff" you meet them all. The fake smile and good buddy interested in what I have to sell that week. Smell... them across the room.

You want someone to be honest with you. Share common interests and stories. Lie to me... you need never return. I do not loan money, but for family am better off giving. Loan money to a friend... Lose a friend. Same with family. Loan a family member money when they have to intent to pay you back... good. You will not see them coming around again.

Being old has its benefits. At times... I really do not care. Tell the truth and let the dice fall where the lay.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #42
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
All problems solved
Old 02-18-2016, 07:35 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Thanks Bold for the words of encouragement. I need to look for down to earth country girls, instead of the materialistic city ones. Yes gifts to family. Facebook enlighten me on the vacations my brother had over the years. I then realized I had been played...a hard pill to swallow. I treat everyone the way I like to be treated, then go from there. Life is full of surprises, so you never know what lies ahead. Maybe someday, I'll find someone who realizes that a wink with a smile means, I love them. Sorry about the above post, I forgot the forums wasn't my therapist. Thanks Ray for the thread
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:56 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Thanks Ray for the kind words. Yes bold I need a double
Old 02-18-2016, 09:36 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Streaminwild,
I hear you, and your Golden Rule philosophy is commendable. Let me urge you...do not let the disappointments you have experienced cause you to change who you are.

We have all had disappointing experiences with supposed friends and, yes, even family. When we trust...only to be betrayed...it hurts. There are givers and there are takers in this life. No relationship that is a one way relationship is worthy of your grief. Love is wonderful when the feelings are two sided. A one sided love hurts far more than loneliness.

Be proud of who you are and value your good attributes. I hope that one day soon you will find that lady who can love as she is loved. Stay true to yourself...live a happy and satisfying life...go where you may find someone who shares your interests...and one day...
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:21 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
ColoradoLady What are your rates because your advise is priceless. I consider this forum my family now. The commandery here to help one another... words cannot describe. As Ray thread questions people traveling solo. Yes, but most not by choice. Watching the sunset at the beach or mountaintop with your best friend...I can only hope. Sorry for the hijack Ray.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #47
Rivet Master

You are most welcome. Travel Solo, get a dog for a companion....dogs love unconditional....sit with your dog at that sunrise/ sunset...spoil that dog...they love to be touched, and will return love in kind ...they are loyal and happy for your kindness and affection.
Go to AS gatherings, to single ones if available....connect with people (male and female) who share your interests...do you like photography, painting, fishing, kayaking, hiking,etc? Open up for friendships...then, build on those friendships and respect...and one day....(see?)
Old 02-19-2016, 11:41 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2001 27' Safari
1995 36' Classic 36
Ambler , Pennsylvania
While in Tampa last week I met a group of people called Loners on wheels. They travel together and seemed to be having a grand time. http://www.lonersonwheels.com/
They were quick to tell me this was not a dating service. It was for people who were single by choice,widowed or divorced. They all travel in their own rigs. More of a support group. I thought it was great. One lady had been doing it fir 15 years since her husband died.
nawwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Maybe people that you cross paths with along the way, might be more apt to befriend a couple, than they would a lone " drifter ".

Oh, I can't help but laugh at (perhaps) being viewed as a "lone drifter!"
sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:38 AM   #50
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawwin View Post
While in Tampa last week I met a group of people called Loners on wheels. They travel together and seemed to be having a grand time. http://www.lonersonwheels.com/
They were quick to tell me this was not a dating service. It was for people who were single by choice,widowed or divorced. They all travel in their own rigs. More of a support group. I thought it was great. One lady had been doing it fir 15 years since her husband died.

I just looked at the LoW's web site and they appear to be quite the active group. There are gatherings almost every week based on the seasonal weather. In the summer, the northern groups are more active. In the winter, the southern groups are certainly active.

Florida has several groups/units and each of them has a gathering almost every month during the fall, winter and spring. As a seasonal traveler you could go from gathering to gathering with a little sightseeing in between and have a great time exploring!

Thanks for posting this. We'll pass it on to others who may be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrylynne View Post
Oh, I can't help but laugh at (perhaps) being viewed as a "lone drifter!"
Gotta watch out for those drifter types!
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:38 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Ray has suggested that I move on my idea of ...SOLO TRAVELER's CLUB! I mulled it over and just opened up a new thread...called....SOLO TRAVELER's CLUB! Take a look at it and give me some responses. There are many of us. Let's see where this idea goes! Evelyn.
P.S. It is under Airstream Lifestyles.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:52 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I just want to say I'm glad to be able to share this forum with people like streaminwild and ColoradoLady and all the others that strike me as good people! At times I feel like quality people are in somewhat short supply.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:02 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
If you start a solo bunch, remember some of us who solo are married, else you have a singles club.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #54
1 Rivet Member

Hendersonville , North Carolina
Traveling Solo

Thank you CAV! It was great hearing from another woman who is doing it alone! I have to sell my house first before I can by a vintage tin can, but I can't wait and hope to be out of here by May.....this is a great thread! I am encouraged that I can do it. I am 63 and my friends think I am crazy, but I hear the calling..I am an old hippie who can't seem to stay in one place too long, before I have to go! Rving seem to be my answer, although I have never done it. I love the idea of taking my home where ever I go. Is there a book or website to find out where all the rally's are? I love the idea of meeting up with like minded people along the way..I also want to go to music festivals along the way! I think someone could start a match up service on this site...whether it be for love or just traveling companions! Happy trails!
rubyredskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Pecan man, rubyredskies...I just opened a thread called SOLO TRAVELER's Club. Look in forums, under Airstream Lifestyles. It is for anyone..no gender, age, restriction. It is not a dating site, so, of course, all are welcome. Actually, you don't have to be solo. As said....ALL are welcome. It is not a singles club...it is an opportunity to meet other likeminded travelers, share a cup of coffee, etc., share some travel stories, enjoy companionship. Make some new friends, camp or travel in caravan, if you like. It's all up to you, and those you connect with.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Ijustlee, glad to hear from you. We are not unusual...I have found that majority of folks who are campers, are good and decent people. This is certainly one of the benefits of Airstream ownership and of travel and camping. I have yet to meet an unfriendly fellow camper. Welcome!
Old 02-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Ijustlee, glad to hear from you. We are not unusual...I have found that majority of folks who are campers, are good and decent people. This is certainly one of the benefits of Airstream ownership and of travel and camping. I have yet to meet an unfriendly fellow camper. Welcome!

ColoradoLady... YOU have not met me yet, as I am exception to this statement. This seems to be a wild claim and needs to have a disclaimer of some sort.

And... define, "unusual". As in "odd"? Out of the Ordinary? Airstream people are ODD? Or just Ordinary?

- How... "unfriendly" does a friendly person need to become before becoming... unfriendly.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Ray, to clarify....those campers I have met are usually good and decent. I have been told that you are as well. I have since, learned that you are a "rascal", but, still very nice.

Unfriendly? I don't know....I try to avoid those.

Perhaps, Airstreamers are unusually odd, and/or extraordinary. I really don't know...I have not actually met one.

I guess I'll get these answers sometime this summer. Or not.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
Explanation of pop up shop:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop-up_retail#/editor/0

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
You sent the editor's version. Perhaps you could correct that?
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
As a solo, I am looking to go somewhere almost every weekend in the Southeast, so let me know. Not looking for a date because I am married and this is just not her bag.

Barry