Old 02-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #15
Refugee from Napa, CA
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
I travel solo. Not necessarily by choice but just the way things turned out.

I would like to have a companion to share my travels with but the reality is that my Airstream is my space. I would enjoy traveling and meeting a companion but she would have to have her own space.

I have met couples that travel with their own trailers, and they shared their travels.

I guess the reality is that dating at my age doesn't come easily. Darn it.

Photobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2015 23' FB International
Spotsylvania , Virginia
My folks had a neighbor that once retired was a full timed Air Streamer and followed the Wally group around the country. After about 12 or 15 yrs the Mrs. past and the fellow kept following the Wally group around the country. The fellow also kept his home (son lived in it or purchased it) and he would stop by for a few weeks every year to say hello to his friends before departing for another year. One year he showed up with a companion which shocked everyone, even his son. It appears another couple that he travel with the husband past away and they were close friends and he had a twin bed AS, they both liked the life style so why change. That went on for about 10 - 12 yrs until the companion pasted and at that point the fellow was close to 90 and gave up the AS life style to live with his son. He died within one year, his son said he missed the open road and meeting folks.

I bought my first car from that fellow, a 1950 2 dr Chevy, his father had bought it new. He drove it from Falls Church VA into Washington, DC everyday to work at the Dept of the Interior. Damn I miss that car and the stories he told me about traveling around the US and Canada, hence me buying an AS in 2015.

KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2016 16' Sport
Port Saint Lucie , Florida
You're hysterical 😉 But I know he's serious....and great topic I think. I'm
Grapesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2016 16' Sport
Port Saint Lucie , Florida
I agree!
Grapesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I think that story would make a great movie or book.

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
I am pleased that members have taken this Thread with the intent it has been received.

No ones wants to admit that they are not able to do what was possible, before decades of experience. Nancy and I discovered, and with the wisdom of our age, NOT to climb the "Fifth Rope Gauntlet" down Gold Strike Canyon hot springs site near Hoover Dam, Boulder City, Nevada. Doing such a hike, solo, presents a separate "wisdom of age" to know when it is time to turn around. We will be prepared the next time and had a peek of what to expect. This is not for everyone.

Those who read Western Exploration will find many of these individuals, when retired... could not endure the inability to maintain this active life style. Living in a house in a town/city just never fit their purpose of living. They became miserable and lacked enthusiasm even to discuss their experiences... and died in the process younger than necessary.

Several of Forum Member Boondocking trips had Solo campers. Within a group it is possible. My solution is to match Solo Campers with other Solo Campers so they can work together. It is necessary. A Wyoming, Colorado or New Mexico Adventure to Off the Grid sites have no safety grid for help.

We have encountered Solo Fossil Hunters working in the trilobite fossil exposures of western Utah and eastern Nevada. They are a bit alarmed hearing a voice... where there has only been the wind. It is difficult to explain. Not unusual to see a firearm strapped to the waist, or within a pack.

There is nothing better than telling your Solo Story. It gives many hope that their lives may continue in what we find as a community so fulfilling... traveling with our Airstreams or other trailer where we want and when. We are a very lucky group of people.

Myself, of all, am especially lucky with a wife that is ready to go anywhere, any time... if we take our two Blue Heelers.
Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I have just become a solo. Did the southern US this past November. As long as I had an agenda (going somewhere with a purpose; be it friends or bucket list) I was fine, but traveling from destination to destination is lonely. I always did the driving and my wife did the "lookout!!!" bit, so that part of solo is not an issue. I will be looking forward to our unit rallys this year. Even if it isn't a travel companion, having someone to look forward to seeing helps. I'm ambivalent about the matching bit, but traveling with someone in a mini-caravan would be interesting.
Thanks for opening up the topic Ray
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:27 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member
1977 25' Caravanner
Moss Bluff , Louisiana
I generally travel alone, for several reasons - My wife is still working and I am retired. She enjoys traveling with the camper, but we have two different agendas - She likes a schedule of places and things to do, I am more of a random traveler. I will have several firm destinations for the summer, usually a few weeks apart, and will wander in the general direction of the next one and explore a little. Lots of cool places out there that don't make the top 25 of the list. On a summer trip, she will meet me for a couple of weeks at a predetermined destination and we will cover a large area doing the tourist deal. She heads back home to work, and I continue my general wandering to my next destination. If circumstances permit, she will join me again before the summer ends. Headed out in July to Oregon to visit my son, working on the route now -
bayoufrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
I travel solo because I Like my own company, love the freedom and the ability to be spontaneous. I'm a professional artist...and I stop whenever and wherever scenery happens. Bella ( my AS FC) is my mobile studio. AS are roomy but IMO not roomy enough for hundreds or thousands of miles with someone who might, after a few hours together start riding the raw side of a nerve you never knew you have. My husband is good to camp with but only for a few days at a time...and because the AS is mine, only I really know how it works and what its foibles are. Absolutely agree that meeting people where you camp is super easy, almost always enjoyable, and occasionally memorable.
All that hot air blown, I will also say that having an AS Thread for like-minded people who would be interested in meeting up en route to share activities (Plein air painting, tennis, fishing, etc) would seem a terrific idea.
See you along the way....
Barretta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
If, (God Forbid!), something happened to my love, I'd continue on the road solo. Why not? I use to backpack solo, hike, fish, camp solo not too many years ago. I'm pretty cool, I totally enjoy my own company.
Dysfunctional Veteran- does not always play well with others. 22 a day is 22 TOO MANY. (this number recently revised to 23 a day )
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #25
1965 17' Caravel
Chicago , Illinois

I am fortunate enough to be retired early and was always a dream of mine with my husband to travel in an AS from one end of the US to the other. Unfortunately he acquired something younger if you catch my drift.
Fortunately I did buy that AS, a 65 Caravel. I travel mostly to Wis. and Indiana and meet my friends who are tenters and 1 camper. The farthest I've gone alone is from Chicago where I live to meet my daughter in the Smoky Mountains. We had a wonderful time. I would love to meet someone that shares my desires because I am ready for some longer trips but do not feel it would be as much fun alone.

Ready in ChiTown
Murry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:09 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
Hi Ray! I started RVing in 2010. I was solo then and, am still solo. I too would like to find a suitable partner (female) but, there's NO easy way of finding that special person that I know of. The women I've met to date are still "anchored" in some way (children or grandkids they don't want to leave, still working or, retired but went back to work part-time). I figure that, when the time is right and the stars align, I'll meet the right gal. As long as I'm healthy enough to drive (I have a Super C diesel puller), I'll continue to go it alone. Sure beats sitting home growing old! Good luck in your search!
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:47 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Northwest , Missouri
Hot Dang!

Drop the trailer off'n them blocks of cinder, I done found my match on the Air Forums Tinder!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buck & Molly.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	257434  
OldVwHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:13 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member
2004 25' International CCD
Dubuque , Iowa
I'm a solo female with 10months AS-ing under my belt! Have learned a lot by reading forums and AS classified; going to RV shows; and asking lots of questions. Even attended Alumapalooza before I had a trailer, just to learn from others. I grew up trailering in a '58 Aljo and longed for being on the road again.

Planning for retirement, I realized I could sit at home waiting for someone to take me camping, or I could make it happen myself.

A vote of confidence to all women, "you can do this! Bought a new truck with a backup camera; found the size AS & floor plan I wanted; a hitch I could handle alone.

Solitude and nature is wonderful. Meeting new people or traveling to meet friends or family is great.

I'm learning patience and how to hand glitches as they come and to take it in stride. I feel accomplished when I can figure it out.

CAV is offline   Reply With Quote