Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Trailer Receiver & Hitch Disconnect

Found out yesterday I have a bad Sacroiliac. Got an injection in my left posterior to help relieve the pain. Has anyone developed a way of handling the trailer hitch (Bambi 19') after disconnected. My wife and I could possibly handle, but hate to chance it. I would hate this problem to deny me the opportunity to go Airstreaming and meeting more great folks. Any ideas?
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you are asking about the hitch head and removing it from the receiver why bother. I don't remove mine unless I want to change to a smaller ball for my other trailer.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I agree with HowieE. Are you asking about something other than leaving the hitch bar in your tow vehicle?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
If that is what your talking about I agree about leaving it in for the entire trip, maybe even the season, just don't leave it in year round if you are going to be near any roads with salt on them. Rust is not your friend.

If it's not what your asking about, a picture of your hitch and a little explanation would help. There are many, many different hitches that could be used with your trailer.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:28 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Never thought about leaving it in. Sorry, no pictures. It is a:

4-point
Equa-L-izer
Mdl 90 00 1006
3' sway bars

The hitch is shaped like a "Z." Top inserted into the receiver on the truck, extending out about 8-10". The ball sets on the lower part of the "Z." I do like the idea about leaving it in---and marking it with florescent tape so others can see it---wouldn't be such a bad idea---before you say it: remove the sway bars, of course. I knew I could get my answer here. Many thanks.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have an Equal-i-zer also.
For the most part I leave it in all the time.
There is some slop or play between the receiver and the shank and it clunks and rattles when I hit a bump or pothole.
Has anyone thought of a good way to shim the slop/play to make it not rattle and clunk?
Seems like with some sort of shim there would be less rattle and clunk while towing, also.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I put an appropriate sized piece of black Gorilla Glue duct tape on the front and back part of the hitch shank. Depending on your amount of "slop" you may not need to wrap it all the way around, but just do a section.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocus View Post
Found out yesterday I have a bad Sacroiliac. Got an injection in my left posterior to help relieve the pain. Has anyone developed a way of handling the trailer hitch (Bambi 19') after disconnected. My wife and I could possibly handle, but hate to chance it. I would hate this problem to deny me the opportunity to go Airstreaming and meeting more great folks. Any ideas?
As for handling the hitch head at home if you want to easily remove/install, here is what I have suggested for a friend who recently had surgery that has limited her ability to manually handle the hitch. The plan is the she can just roll this over to the back of the truck, gently lift the hitch head, "unplug" it from the receiver, and roll it over in the corner of the garage while it's not in use. And of course just reverse the process to reinstall it. Should be easy for her, as she parks the truck on the smooth garage floor, and has plenty of room to maneuver this around.

http://tinyurl.com/kzkatxb
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've got major back problems also, and while not a total solution, I made a handle that stays on the hitch at all times, and it's much easier to lift.

I've made several, but the current one is a bolt thru an unused hole at the top of the drawbar, with a couple of homemade straps of metal, up to another bolt with a piece of rubber hose over it. While the weight is still there, it gives me a much better angle, and hand grasp, allowing me to lift with my legs instead of my back.

If you don't have scrap metal available, you can use a length of rope tied thru the holes with a piece of rubber hose as the handle, and that way it could be any length/height to make it easier on your back.

Also, the "handle" makes a nice "guide" to run the electrical cable thru protecting it from the rest of the hitch, and from other possible damage.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Another option is to leave it attached to the Airstream. I did it that way with my previous Reese Dual Cam. It requires delicacy and a helper. When disconnecting, find the position where no forces are acting on the stinger, remove the pin and clip, and drive forward. When hooking up again, it is obviously the reverse. This is where a helper, a good (almost perfect) aim, and delicacy is required. I would reverse in to get it close. My helper would bring it in the rest of the way once I had it all lined up by making adjustments with the jack and holding the stinger in the required position. We became really good at it and it worked most of the time. Sometimes it did not work at all so I did it the normal way but the TV was close. When I changed to a Hensley, hooking up was easy due to this experience. Jim
Old 02-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Another option is to leave it attached to the Airstream. I did it that way with my previous Reese Dual Cam. It requires delicacy and a helper. When disconnecting, find the position where no forces are acting on the stinger, remove the pin and clip, and drive forward. When hooking up again, it is obviously the reverse. This is where a helper, a good (almost perfect) aim, and delicacy is required. I would reverse in to get it close. My helper would bring it in the rest of the way once I had it all lined up by making adjustments with the jack and holding the stinger in the required position. We became really good at it and it worked most of the time. Sometimes it did not work at all so I did it the normal way but the TV was close. When I changed to a Hensley, hooking up was easy due to this experience. Jim
My helper would help me bend/destroy a power jack trying to thread a needle that tight! Hensley or PP would be a different story, a little more room to spare and the backup camera would function fine in that case.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Yes, I agree. I started doing it in my youth (50) when I didn't know any better. My aim improved with experience and I found it beneficial to assume all responsibility for missteps. Jim
Old 02-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #13
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I like that little jack thingy. I leave mine in all the time, it is so heavy.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Yes, I agree. I started doing it in my youth (50) when I didn't know any better. My aim improved with experience and I found it beneficial to assume all responsibility for missteps. Jim
Mr. Flower: My aim ain't any better and getting worse as I progress in age. About assuming all responsibility....Already done did that long ago--at least I am still married.

Ya know folks, Volumes could be written from the materials found in these forums that would make the Best Selling book List, I am sure. Get busy "Author AS'rs." I know I am getting knowledge and humor reading other individual's thoughts and fixes. Thanks to all for being here!!!!! Tom
Old 02-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocus View Post
Mr. Flower: My aim ain't any better and getting worse as I progress in age. About assuming all responsibility....Already done did that long ago--at least I am still married.

Tom, Same. 45years. It took me 20 years of it to save up for a Hensley. I hope this inclination towards longevity persists. Jim
Old 02-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Okc , Oklahoma
I use an old canvas gym bag that has two straps -1 - on each side. The head goes in and the ball is covered (grease). Easy to disengage and lift with one or two.
LeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote