Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Top Ten Items for Newbie Trailer Owners?

Hi! I have been reading up in the forums and getting awesome feedback and advice from several kind and generous members - thank you! We are in the midst of compiling an upgrades/gear/necessities list, which is a bit daunting! I am curious, if anyone would like to list their Top Ten (or more!) recommendations for upgrades/gear/necessity items for a newbie trailer owner, what would they be? Specifics would be great!

On a related note, if there are any threads already addressing this topic, could someone point me in that direction? I have been searching key terms but am still getting used to the search feature

Thanks again, and Happy New Year!
streaminlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
My top ten gotta haves for traveling in the Airstream are:

1. Sewer Solution

2. Battery power drill/driver with a 3/4" socket for the stabilizers.

3. Water hose quick-connects. The solid brass ones are the best.

4. A work light for setting up camp after dark.

5. Rough duty leather gloves.

6. A comprehensive tool kit.

7. A set of Lynx Levelers or similar.

8. Pruning shears to trim campsite greenery that might scratch the Airstream.

9. A level

10. A good quality tire pressure gauge.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Moosetags left a very valuable "guy's" list but you might be interested in something else like kitchen items. Try this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...er-103597.html

You might also find this informative:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ey-100290.html
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
This is very helpful, more appreciated. For a Newbie, Richard Luhr--book Newbies Guide for Airstream in both the Kindle and hard copy has been my go to book while i am awaiting th delivery of my new Airstream, actually i have bought several paper book copies. The best is the actual experience of our Forum members that are willing to share your front line experience.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
SeeMore--the links were awesome thank you. My wife said they were most helpful on her top ten and added many items. Talk about a leap of faith, we are going from many,many years of tent camping to a 30ft Flying Cloud with delivery after a 6 month wait in January or early February.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The greater risk is not enough stuff, but too much. Hiding in the corners of storage gobbling up valuable space and weight while seldom used.

Proceed slowly with special attention to dual purpose items, particularly kitchen equipment and tool kits. Countertops can quickly become cluttered leaving little space for meal prep.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminlife View Post
Hi! I have been reading up in the forums and getting awesome feedback and advice from several kind and generous members - thank you! We are in the midst of compiling an upgrades/gear/necessities list, which is a bit daunting! I am curious, if anyone would like to list their Top Ten (or more!) recommendations for upgrades/gear/necessity items for a newbie trailer owner, what would they be? Specifics would be great!

On a related note, if there are any threads already addressing this topic, could someone point me in that direction? I have been searching key terms but am still getting used to the search feature

Thanks again, and Happy New Year!
Hi, we bought our trailer out of state and our learning experience was on our trip home. [10 days]

(1.) Extension mirrors if tow vehicle isn't factory equipped.

(2.) A decent quality sewer hose and fittings. [15 to 20 feet long]

(3.) A few white fresh water hoses. A 10' hose for close connections and a 20' hose for those farther away. [30' total if you ever need it]

(4.) Polarity tester for checking power supply for correct wiring.

(5.) A Kill-a-Watt or other device to check for proper voltage from power supply. [A-C 120 volts]

(6.) Tire pressure gauges.

(7.) A good torque wrench with necessary extensions and sockets for tow vehicle lug nuts, trailer lug nuts, and hitch bolts.

(8.) A multimeter, and/or a good 12 volt test light. [I have both]

(9.) Latex gloves.

(10.) Lubricants: WD-40, Axle/hitch grease, Etc.

There could be hundreds of things to buy, but I think these are the most important items to start with.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

1-5.....WD40 if it's stuck or dirty.

6-10....zip-ties and duct-tape if it's not.

Bob
Old 01-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Just my meager two cents worth (just a couple months full-time so far), but the best thing we stumbled on is a pair of clear plastic, hang-off-the-closet-door shoe organizers. Had to cut down from 4-wide to 3-wide to attach to the inside of the closet doors, but we now have a couple visible "junk drawers" for all of the batteries, tote/trash bags, small electronics, camera/computer connectors, tape, suction hooks, flash lights, right-now tools, and bric-a-brac that you can never quite locate in the bottom of a box or back of a drawer.
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
#1 on my list of multipurpose items:
Hospital scrubs!
Worn by themselves, you can use them as pajamas. You can also wear them for lounging around the campfire, or for a quick drive into town to buy groceries. Scrub shirts are a comfortable alternative to T-shirts in summer. If worn over other clothing they make an excellent substitute for coveralls when fixing stuff. You can wear them instead of an apron while cooking, too.
Scrubs don't take up much space, and it doesn't matter if they wrinkle so they never need ironing. They're machine-washable or hand-washable, and dry quickly when wet.
My Airstream never leaves home without at least one set of hospital scrubs folded up on the closet shelf. Clothing— both clean and awaiting laundering— takes up an inordinate amount of space for the amount of time it's used; you basically have to store whatever you're not wearing right now. So anything you can do to minimize the amount of clothing you have to carry is a Good Thing™.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by almcate View Post
Just my meager two cents worth (just a couple months full-time so far), but the best thing we stumbled on is a pair of clear plastic, hang-off-the-closet-door shoe organizers. Had to cut down from 4-wide to 3-wide to attach to the inside of the closet doors, but we now have a couple visible "junk drawers" for all of the batteries, tote/trash bags, small electronics, camera/computer connectors, tape, suction hooks, flash lights, right-now tools, and bric-a-brac that you can never quite locate in the bottom of a box or back of a drawer.
Reminds me of this link I got in an email.....

Bob
Old 01-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Anti-bacterial wipes or hand sanitizer in the TV glove box. And a pair of heavy duty rubber gloves for dump station duty.

A bag of two-foot cable ties from one of the big box stores..... they come in handy for so many fastening jobs

100 foot utility extension cord on one of those cord reels. Coupled with a power strip lets me set up coffeemaker and toaster (I have yet to make toast inside the AS without setting of the smoke alarm, no matter what windows or vents I open) on the outdoor picnic table to start breakfast without disturbing DW who prefers her camping with a late wakeup call :-)
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
These are great! I am beginning to realize how much stuff we have in the house, and the fact there will only be a fraction of the space in the AS. Many current household items we already have seem too bulky and heavy, like dishes, glassware and heavy pots and pans. We will need to consolidate pet supplies as well.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Love the idea of scrubs for multi-purpose casual camping wear!
Old 01-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, we bought our trailer out of state and our learning experience was on our trip home. [10 days]

(1.) Extension mirrors if tow vehicle isn't factory equipped.

(2.) A decent quality sewer hose and fittings. [15 to 20 feet long]

(3.) A few white fresh water hoses. A 10' hose for close connections and a 20' hose for those farther away. [30' total if you ever need it]

(4.) Polarity tester for checking power supply for correct wiring.

(5.) A Kill-a-Watt or other device to check for proper voltage from power supply. [A-C 120 volts]

(6.) Tire pressure gauges.

(7.) A good torque wrench with necessary extensions and sockets for tow vehicle lug nuts, trailer lug nuts, and hitch bolts.

(8.) A multimeter, and/or a good 12 volt test light. [I have both]

(9.) Latex gloves.

(10.) Lubricants: WD-40, Axle/hitch grease, Etc.

There could be hundreds of things to buy, but I think these are the most important items to start with.

This list is very helpful, thank you. We will be picking up ours from out of state, too. Plan on camping nearby first; then the longer drive home.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
My top ten gotta haves for traveling in the Airstream are:

1. Sewer Solution

2. Battery power drill/driver with a 3/4" socket for the stabilizers.

3. Water hose quick-connects. The solid brass ones are the best.

4. A work light for setting up camp after dark.

5. Rough duty leather gloves.

6. A comprehensive tool kit.

7. A set of Lynx Levelers or similar.

8. Pruning shears to trim campsite greenery that might scratch the Airstream.

9. A level

10. A good quality tire pressure gauge.

Brian
Great necessities list - appreciate it very much, Brian. I am thinking a couple of head lamps for setting up at night might be in order.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Moosetags left a very valuable "guy's" list but you might be interested in something else like kitchen items. Try this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...er-103597.html

You might also find this informative:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ey-100290.html
These are great, thank you! I have been making housewares lists, trying to go through our current kitchen/bedding/bath items to determine what is necessary and how many to bring, such as sets of sheets and towels for extended stays and full-timing. I am thinking two sets each of towels and sheets (for 2 adults) plus extra doggie towels. Will need to consolidate the pet supplies too.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The greater risk is not enough stuff, but too much. Hiding in the corners of storage gobbling up valuable space and weight while seldom used.

Proceed slowly with special attention to dual purpose items, particularly kitchen equipment and tool kits. Countertops can quickly become cluttered leaving little space for meal prep.
So true! Love the idea of multi-use equipment and having a space for everything.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi123 View Post
This is very helpful, more appreciated. For a Newbie, Richard Luhr--book Newbies Guide for Airstream in both the Kindle and hard copy has been my go to book while i am awaiting th delivery of my new Airstream, actually i have bought several paper book copies. The best is the actual experience of our Forum members that are willing to share your front line experience.
Hi! I have this too - it's a great book. I would highly recommend it for newbies. I know I will be using this book regularly, reading it cover-to-cover and as a reference guide. I like that the binding is spiral, and the book invites you to write down the basic specs of your rig. Very user-friendly. It is basic information, yet extremely helpful for getting to know your Airstream and the various systems. Love the checklists and jargon guide, which is how I found out what "SOB" means

Agree that the best info. comes from the forum members generously extending their experience and know-how.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Great thread!

Bob Cross - LOVE the life hacks!

Here's an incomplete list:

1) safe RV driving lessons at a CDL training center near you (required - well, ok, STRONGLY recommended)

2) iPad with:
- Rich Luhr's book
- videos of your walk through at the dealer
- YouTube for everything you forgot
- PDF of your user manuals for TV, TT, appliances, etc
- camping apps (Allstays, gas buddy, cat scale app, GPS, google maps, etc)

3) don't bring THAT (you don't need everything you think you do)

4) home-made fire starters - put sawdust and/or dryer lint in egg cartons and fill with parafin wax. Much cheaper and just as effective as the stuff you pay more than a buck for at the campsite store

5) thin square reusable ice packs - place in your refer the day before you leave and turn it on so it's cool at the campground. Frozen bottled water is good too (and then useable at the campsite) but you gotta let some out of each bottle before freezing (ask me how I know)

6) patience and a sense of humor. Stuff happens - but you're camping. If I may quote myself - the worst day camping is a thousand times better than the best day in the office. You may quote me too :-)

7) wet weather shoes (I like LL Bean low cut boots). It's a drag getting sneakers, socks and feet soaked in wet grassy campsites during or after rain.

8) people and/or pets you want to spend time with.

9) first aid kit including an extra day of meds you take regularly (and if you take multiple meds, have all your rx numbers with you). Yes, adult beverages and cigars count in this category.

10) your own list based on whatever works best for you.

Have fun!!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote