Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
To twin, or not to twin? That is the question

We have decided that we would like to upgrade to the 27FB Classic in the near future by ordering it the way we want it built. The bedding format remains the last area of discussion and we would appreciate input on other's decision process to be sure we pretty well covered all the bases in the twin versus queen bed discussion.

We inspected the queen bed in a 34 Classic and have reviewed lots of photos of the interiors of both the queen bed and twin bed models (front or rear bed location impacted window glass placement and whether there was a corner night stand or a corner cabinet on queen bed units).

We discovered that the Classic 27FB twin bed model seems to provide more storage in the two clothes hanging closets at the foot of each bed plus the overhead cabinet over each bed than the corner cabinets associated with the queen bed. There is an additional external storage access hatch on each side of the trailer under the twin bed plus one under the head of the beds behind the battery box. There is also storage on the inside under each twin bed. There is a large free area between the beds which we liked and a night stand between the beds with a pull out drawer.

The queen bed is virtually free standing with access from three sides. It also has storage under the sides of of the bed frame and only one external storage access hatch in the front behind the battery to space under the queen bed.

Two twin bed mattress upgrades and sheet sets are more expensive than similar accessories for a single queen bed. The queen bed appears to be easier to make as the twin has a long edge against the outside wall ending in a curved wall across the back of the trailer. The Classic queen bed could be limited in thickness due to the access hatch beside the pillow on each side. If the mattress were too thick, then these storage ports for a clock or what ever would have blocked access.

Do folks find they can sit up in bed and read in a twin bed with lots of cushions to keep their back away from the glass and curtains? Are there issues making up the twin beds? Since the twin mattress is not squared off where one puts their head, does the curve generate any sleeping issues or comfort issues?

Can one set up comfortable in the queen bed since there is no headboard?

Have any queen owners ever wished they had twin beds?

Have any twin bed owners ever wished they had selected a queen bed?

Thanks

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Queen. When its chilly, snuggle. Then, even after 27 years......
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
We have the twins. We can easily sit up in bed to read and because there is a little separation I can have the spotlight over me on while hubby snoozes. I too was worried about the curve restricting the sleeping room but it is not an issue at all. My husband is 6'2" and the twin works great for him too. I suppose it is because the curve is around your head only. If the feet were there it might be more of a problem. We sleep in a king at home and the twins provide more room both length wise and side to side than the rv queen which is shorter than a normal queen. Making the twin is indeed a hassle but well worth it to have the straight walk out through the middle which also provides a space for getting dressed. I use twin xl fitted sheets with elastic all around from The Company Store without having to make any modifications. They work well. All other bedding is regular twin size. The only issue? Our big black dog would love to sleep in the cozy space on the floor between the beds at night but we trip on her. We have to close the bath door to keep her in the other area.
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
After having both, twin first then the queen, we probably would go for the twin. The basic room is the space and ease of access into and out of the bedroom area.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We had twins in our first AS. We did not care for them. We have the walk around queen now. It is easier to make and I find I have enough room to get dressed.
After 38+ years we still like to snuggle.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have a similar floor plan with the queen bed in the back, dinette in front. I can certainly understand your concerns about the narrow bed access, and the bumped head. We had a choice between queen and twin in this same model, the twin seems more practical but our personal choice is the queen bed.

Two concerns with the 25' airstream. The sort-of walk around bed, and the lack of long term comfy seating with the dinette. We reasoned that it was very nice for our present needs without the disadvantages of a longer trailer, and we could install (or have installed) twin beds and recliners for seating when or if we needed them.

After 12 months travel in the Airstream, it was a good decision. We have adapted well to the queen bed configuration, but are getting close to the recliner installation. The size of the trailer is an excellent compromise of comfort to travel, towing, and parking ease.

The next size Airstream with the both these amenities is a 30' (and then there are fifth wheel trailers) but some somewhere you have to say "This one will be best overall for us, we'll make do and hit the road".

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We bought our '66 24' Trade Wind wondering if then 37 year marriage would suffer. Now after 44 years together we are still happily together. Extra pillows make for comfy reading and TV watching and especially with our different sleep habits (I sometimes wake early and read). I find making our twins easy as they do slide away from the side wall. In fact they will slide to meet in the middle but that means crawling into bed from the foot or the head. More and easier access storage and perhaps as we age the need for mid night-time 'breaks' without stiff joints handicapping our passage over the aisle sleeper. Yes, if we ever upgrade to a newer, wider Airstream a walk around queen would perhaps be considered.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02890.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	186680   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02893.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	186681  

Name:	DSC02894.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	186682   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02896.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	186683  

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We have had the queen island bed in 2 trailers. We have to side step around the bed. Seems like the twins could have advantages such as easier to walk in the bedroom and more storage underneath.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Having owned both configurations (but not A/S brand) I would prefer the twins were I starting from scratch. As did my parents and grandparents as useful storage is increased (this needs to be ascertained; both interior and exterior storage). For space efficiency with no loss in sleeping comfort the twins are the only way to go. To this I would add rear bath as the need for "comfort" (air temps) is less than the full length of the TT.

If I change trailers again, it may be to the 28' or 30' rear bath with twins. Preferably a '79 - '81 model year Silver Streak.

I do like that the current rear bedroom, center-queen 1990 35' SS has a compact overall plumbing run. All on one side of the TT, and short given what all is hooked into it (including washer/dryer) The rear bedroom is free of appliances and only the electrical cord is underneath (streetside; with the main in the TT front next to propane). Even the sewer tanks are mainly forward of this location. Thus, the rear of the TT is light in weight, quiet and very "open" no matter how it is loaded or used. I like the queen and that the TT rear of the kitchen can be turned into a master suite with a moveable wall (and folding door between bath/wardrobe and bedroom). It is truly a TT with designed public and private areas.

True, a twin is not so amenable when two are abed, be it TV watching or other, but if one has opted for a rear bedroom configuration, then the front lounge sleeper sofa can be used, can it not? (I know this is TT length-dependent, in general).

One thing to note: the width of the beds. Some TT twins seem rather narrow to me. Length also matters: 80" or unacceptable as there is no room to angle ones self diagonally.

For a bedroom it comes down to the quaility of the mattress/box spring, lighting, and quiet convective ventilation (note Wally Byams preference for a big in-floor vent . . so, with roof vent and jalousie windows one is assured of maximum air movement with no power consumption).

Whatever else we may do it still is central to an RVs purpose that we be fully rested and ready to go. That is priority.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I converted from a queen to twins and it was the best change I have made to the trailer. Our sleep habits are quite different and we thrive with the twins. I had an extra hatch put in the side of the trailer at the factory, under the curbside twin.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I have the twins in my 30'.

Find out what size the queen really is. A true queen is 60x80 while most RVs have a 60x72 bed. Not sure about Airstream.

When it comes right down to it, the only real advantage of a queen/disadvantage of twin beds is that you can sleep together in a queen bed. Making beds in the twin is at most a minor nuisance once you figure out what works for you. I usually lift off the mattress when changing sheets.

With twins you will get more and better storage. Depending on your situation and relationships you may occasionally find it useful to share a bedroom with people who you would not share a bed with.

But the real advantage is that you get a much larger clear area in the center of the room for standing or sitting. It makes a big difference for getting dressed particularly with any kind of more formal clothing.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Another bedroom question - light switches

There are three light switches on the bedroom wall of our 2013 25FB International Serenity: a dimmer/light switch for the LED ceiling lights, a switch for the LED lights inside the overhead roof locker cabinet,and a switch for the LED lights under the overhead roof locker. The only reading spot light is above the queen bed and attached to the wardrobe's wall and it has it's own toggle power switch.

In looking at a dealer's photo of the light switch attached to the wardrobe wall above the thermostat and television in a 2014 Classic 27FB twin, I see two switches. One would be for the fluorescent ceiling light. Since the dealer photos only show the reading lights attached to the bottom of the rear overhead roof locker, I presume the other switch would be for those two lights.

In post #3 above, there is independent control of the two reading lights in a older version of the Classic 28.

Is there still independent power control of the two reading lights? If so, then what does the second wall light switch operate?

Thanks.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 05-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
I am poster 3 above. The lights over the twins in our 2004 28 classic that allow us to read independently are switched with toggles on each of the lights. There is no wall control for these lights. In looking at the picture of the spotlights over the twins in the 2014 27fb classic, I would guess they are also controlled individually with toggles on the fixtures. It also looks like you could aim them to hit your book and be pointed away from your partner. Ours are just puck lights so you cant aim them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-44308033.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	186798  
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The reading lights in the 2013 Classic can be aimed and each have their own switch. There is only one switch on the wall. It is for the overhead light, which also has a rocker switch on the side of the ceing mounted light fixture. The wall switch is pretty much useless because it is on the far side of the wall-mounted TV from the door opening. It is easier to find/turn on the light from the switch on the light fixture. I guess the wall switch is where it is because the "wall" is just the thickness of the plywood- no where to run wires. As it is, the wiring to the wall switch is probably behind the Fiberglas shower enclosure.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
I found out the second bedroom wall light switch is a three-way for the hallway with the other end in the kitchen. The two over the bed spotlights are independently switched.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
The reading lights in the 2013 Classic can be aimed and each have their own switch. There is only one switch on the wall. It is for the overhead light, which also has a rocker switch on the side of the ceing mounted light fixture. The wall switch is pretty much useless because it is on the far side of the wall-mounted TV from the door opening. It is easier to find/turn on the light from the switch on the light fixture. I guess the wall switch is where it is because the "wall" is just the thickness of the plywood- no where to run wires. As it is, the wiring to the wall switch is probably behind the Fiberglas shower enclosure.
I see why the bedroom and bathroom light switches are so far away. Pocket doors. Duh.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Decision reached

A dealership selection decision was made yesterday through which to acquire a 2014 Classic 27FB twin bed with Golden Ultra leather, the 1,000 watt inverter and the second AC with 50 amp service upgrade. Since our travel schedule for the fall is already fully booked, we are striving for an early to mid January build slot so I can be there at Jackson Center to take photos of the gestation process and have the unit arrive at the dealership in February.

Tomorrow, I will order two custom cut twin upgraded 8" mattresses from Rocky Mountain Mattress as there is a $299 discount for each mattress ordered on a Father's Day special. We like that specific model mattress on the existing trailer. The "savings" will cover all of the cost of two custom cut 600 thread sheet sets from the Airstream store and most of the cost of the mattress pads.

To pardon a pun, I will set the wheels in motion for five Michelin LT 225/75R16E LTX M/S2 tires and five Sendel T03-66655T wheels to migrate to our location along with a set of four Centramatic wheel balancers. I will personally visit the local Costco store to get the tires fitted to the wheels and then install them along with the balancers on the new trailer. The original sub five miles GYM tires and Airstream wheels will be sold, thereby reducing the net acquisition cost of this upgrade.

This forum keeps informing me of all the electrical upgrades and different solar systems that keep improving. I have a plan for many of those items to be non-dealership installed, some by me and the big solar project by professional installers.

I really envy the wood working skills shown by many members on this forum, but those skills are lacking for me. We have several "improvements" to have done along with the solar system like tweak the cabinets under the sofa to make them deeper and mount the Dish box and TV signal switch box in the wood facing in the street side rear ceiling roof locker.

We are both excited to have this unit built "our way" without options we did not want or need and then fine tune it through use.

We are looking forward to our adventure seeing the country and meeting new friends along the way.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Sounds good, switz, and it is pleasant to read that you can plan to do things in this manner (factory visit).

But what about brakes? Will A/S install discs for you?

As to woodworking one wouldn't want me on that job . . I got to watching a KREG infomercial today and I was suddenly Norm Abrams, ha!

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #19

1988 29' Excella
Cary , North Carolina
To twin, or not to twin? That is the question

We have been doing this for many years and many miles but have found that twins give us the most flexibility. The comments re they are hard to make up are correct. That is easily solved with a product called TravASack. It is essentially a 2 sided comforter (winter & summer) with a sheet that is velcroed in and can be removed for washing. They have solved all the problems for us.
Caravanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Since disc brakes are not on the standard order form and the factory production is running at full speed and is nearly fully booked into next year, they apparently are not doing any customizations due to lack of time.

The order form was initialized and signed and my deposit check was issued today for a January 13 build start date of the Classic described above.