Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2015, 05:28 AM   #1
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Thinking of those who have served!

On this Memorial Day I'm thinking of my father, Bruce, who served in the 12th Armored Div. in WWII. And my father-in-law, Carroll, of the 29th Inf. Div., who landed on Omaha Beach as part the second wave on D-Day. Both are now gone but they, like so many others, sacrificed so much for all of us!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes. That's what Memorial Day is all about.

My father was a radio broadcaster in WWII, my maternal grandparents both served in WWI....he an army surgeon in France, she a nurse. They married after the war, settling in Greenwood, MS, where my mother was born.

Great-grandfather, his brother, and many other relatives out of southern MS, fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War.

Great-great-great grandfather served in the war of 1812, others before him in the Revolutionary war.

Thanks to you all.

Maggie
Old 05-25-2015, 06:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Both my parents served in the Second World War. I miss them always. Their service was always a great point of pride for me and am eternally greatful they survived. Today is for those who didn't. God bless them all. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:11 AM   #4
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Let's not confuse what Memorial day is all about. It is to memorialize those who Died in uniform. We celebrate ALL Veterans on November 11. The two days are very much unalike.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:13 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
SuEllyn's Dad, who just passed away on May 3rd, was a a soldier in the 744th tank Battalion that landed at Omaha Beach and went all the way to Germany. Her Mom was also in World War II as a Lieutenant in the Army Nurse Corps.

My father was a Marine at Belleau Wood (June, 1918) in World War I. He has been gone for many years now, but I recall him raising a glass to the "families that never were". He was referring to his comrades who perished in the trenches.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
Let's not confuse what Memorial day is all about. It is to memorialize those who Died in uniform. We celebrate ALL Veterans on November 11. The two days are very much unalike.
You are correct, and I apologize for generalizing this holiday into something it is not.

I didn't think it thru before pressing submit, as I am sometimes wont to do. Just got excited about the stories of my ancestors.

In the vein of those who died.....my great-uncle died serving with the Washington Artillery at Antietam, and was buried near the home-turned-hospital that is still standing there.

Til after the war, of course, when Confederate dead were disinterred and moved North.......the ultimate insult.

Many southern cousins died in the Civil War, too, the most memorable of those being George Lea at the Battle of Franklin....whose slave Kemp had been with him since he enlisted, buried him near the battlefield, marked the grave so he could find it, then walked home to southern MS to inform George's father, who returned with Kemp and a wagon to retrieve George's body and place it in the cemetery on the hill behind the Lea plantation in Amite County.

Maggie
Old 05-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #7
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
One of the things I thank my parents for is how they taught me about this great country of ours and the ultimate sacrifice so many have made in our behalf. I am eternally grateful to all of them, and their families.

My Dad's side of the family came to the United States from Poland, escaping the ravages of WWI. None of those relatives had to go to war, but they all were here raising food and dairy products throughout.

One thing I have noticed around here...... displays of patriotism are not as plentiful as they used to be. It's a sign of the times, I think. A lot of our nation has been taught to hate our country, some are just indifferent, some are simply spoiled living here.

All I know is: I LOVE this country! I will fly my US flag proudly, and I will always respect and honor those who died so that I can live such a blessed life! I will also try to instill a sense of patriotism in others, especially the younger generations.

May God bless the United States of America!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Lost a lot of friends while in (1968-1972) each year I pray and tear up at a local parade and remember what I have and have experienced and those who sacrificed never had the opportunity to experience.

God Bless
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:36 AM   #9

2007 20' Safari
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks for being kind.

Quote:
Thanks for your kind reminder on a sensitive issue. There are many veterans who served their country with honor and they are remembered on Veterans Day. Memorial Day is about those who gave their lives for our freedom.
Sawkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #10
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Many times Danielle and I go to a parade or some other public event to celebrate Memorial Day. One of our favorite activities for Memorial Day is to visit the local National Cemetery. The DAR and other organizations host a wonderful event filled with inspiring speeches from the Governor and members of the military and a band plays the anthems from the various branches of armed services. It's a very inspiring (though quite tearful) commemoration of those who died while in service.

It really is a day to remember that freedom is not free!
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Thank-you for the clarification; this Canadian was confused.

Canadians honour those who have died on November 11th.

The vintage aviation organization I support work feverishly all year to maintain our WW2 trainers in an air-worthy condition so we can participate in the annual November 11th fly-past. The roar of those radial engines speak for those who have been silenced. There are many like organizations in the U.S.
Keep 'em flying~!
Old 05-25-2015, 01:05 PM   #12
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
At 3:00 pm (Eastern time) was the U.S. moment of silence to recognize those who've died in action. Even if you missed the moment of silence, take a minute to listen to any number of versions of "taps" on Youtube.

2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
I live near an old cemetery in which a number of war dead from the War Between the States to Viet Nam are buried. I try to honor each of them with a short prayer when I read their headstones each time I walk by. Yes, Memorial day is a day to honor those who died in our country's wars, but I can't help but think of my 3 uncles who served in WWII and survived, but have since passed away. Each died as civilians, but carried the emotional and physical scars they suffered in war to their graves.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #14
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
When we go to New Hampshire in the late summer/early fall we visit the family plot at the West Claremont, NH Cemetery. That is a real Memorial Day for us. There are military dead buried from before the Revolutionary War to the present. It really does move you to see all that sacrifice for each of us. As a retired Air Force Officer I can't help but remember the saying:"except for the Grace of God go I."
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #15
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I am so grateful for so many things. For my family and friends that made the ultimate sacrifice. They answered the call to duty because they wanted to not because they had to. I wish that this three day weekend was more than a reason to barbecue and get out on the lake. But for some, that's all it is. I know I should have been killed several times, but as GUSKMG said "except for the Grace of God, go I.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote